NCL fan planning first RCL cruise - appreciate your advice!

L1211

So when your youngest daughter decides she doesn't want to go to Mexico or Florida with friends for senior spring break and instead asks her parents to take her on a cruise- what else can you do but plan a cruise! We're a family that loves to cruise and we cruise well! The last year we've cruised NCL Escape and Getaway and loved both. But for senior spring break I thought we'd do something geared more toward the teens and the Harmony ots seemed to fit the bill!

The cruise is booked as of today so let the planning begin! I thought I'd share a few things we loved about NCL and ask for the RCL experts to weigh in on comparable experiences or suggestions to try as I plan our Harmony cruise. Really appreciate any feedback!

Things we loved-

- we had Vibe passed both cruises and loved the adult only area. Also loved the fun and engaged bartenders for the duration of the cruise and meeting the same guests in that area daily. Made for a smaller cruise kind of experience and a way to avoid the crowds.

- we loved Howl at the Moon piano bar! This was a family favorite and something the teens loved to do with us parents. We'd go every time they played and sing along to old rock favorites.

- we enjoyed outside late night deck parties at Spice H2O. DJ played music and videos,

Cruise director and entertainment crew lead dancing - all outdoors. Glow party, 80s party, white hot party, we closed them all!

- we enjoyed late nite bites at O'Sheehans pub. See above...

- broadway quality production shows. Million dollar quarter being a family favorite and I'm expecting Grease will be of the same quality!

- small venue bars with live music in the evenings. We loved that there were lots of "spaces" and no where ever seems terribly crowded.

- speciality dining - we've never eaten at the MDR on NCL because we like the smaller more intimate experience and service of speciality restaurants. Feels like you are going to a nice restaurant versus a banquet.

- drink package. Didn't love the wine offerings but just started paying up a few bucks at Cellars wine bar. A much better experience. Also loved Sugarcane Mojitos Bar - worked through the menu! Will book ultimate for us and refresher (is that what includes smoothies and no alcohol drinks?) for teens.

- loved the District Brewhouse. What a cool space on Escape. Amazing craft beer offering and craft cocktails. Great late night entertainment.

- the girls enjoyed the water slides.

There were just a couple things we didn't love...

- the pool deck on the large NCL ships is as

Bad as you've heard. I'd walk up a flight of stairs just to avoid going through the area. We never even attempted to participate in that crowd. While the teens weren't bothered by it, DH and I were a bit horrified.

- the Garden Buffet. Didn't love the crowds or food. Avoided this area too.

- DH is a late sleeper and thus a late eater. Hard to find decent food options off traditional meal hours. Even pay restaurants were closed and buffet offerings extremely limited.

- did a lot is stairs walking. Very crowed elevators. Stayed on 9 both times so that worked. We're on 7 on Harmony.

Would love to hear what you love on HOS and what you can share in terms of evening entertainment with your teens (18 and 17 y/o girls). They won't be using the teen club, one just turned 18. They aren't terribly social and tend to hand with the folks most evenings.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!

RCI has limited hours for meals, as well...while there may be something to eat in the WJ,, they do have "set" mealtime hours. You may find cookies or stuff like that between meals. There are other smaller included venues that tend to be open in-between meals.....except late at night....eat well at dinner so you're not hungry later!

RCI has limited hours for meals, as well...while there may be something to eat in the WJ,, they do have "set" mealtime hours. You may find cookies or stuff like that between meals. There are other smaller included venues that tend to be open in-between meals.....except late at night....eat well at dinner so you're not hungry later!

How about room service for a late lunch? Is that a Viable Choice? We never thought of that on NCL. Had to be better than the buffet. Thank you for responding!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger pool deck on Harmony, you will enjoy that.

Also, make your entertainment reservations as soon as they are available.

Thanks! Do you know when they open up for booking? Cruise is first week of April. Just booked today so within 90 day window already. Haven't tried to set up online account yet but need to!!

Thanks! Do you know when they open up for booking? Cruise is first week of April. Just booked today so within 90 day window already. Haven't tried to set up online account yet but need to!!

If they are not already available, it should be shortly. Ours for Allure in March opened in early October.

How about room service for a late lunch? Is that a Viable Choice? We never thought of that on NCL. Had to be better than the buffet. Thank you for responding!!

Sure, room service is $8 per order, no matter how many items.

Book your specialty restaurant ahead too. On our Harmony cruise, some of the restaurants were booked up by time we boarded. Things opened up during the week for some places, but others were tough to get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Book your specialty restaurant ahead too. On our Harmony cruise, some of the restaurants were booked up by time we boarded. Things opened up during the week for some places, but others were tough to get into.

How do you book speciality restaurants prior to sailing?

You can do this in the cruise planner - just like booking excursions and buying drinks or internet packages.

Thanks

Is this only when you pay the full price for them? ie If you book the 3 or 4 night deal, can you book individual restaurants across the week or are these auto- assigned by RC?

Thanks

Is this only when you pay the full price for them? ie If you book the 3 or 4 night deal, can you book individual restaurants across the week or are these auto- assigned by RC?

If you book a dining package, you make reservations onboard.

If you book a dining package, you make reservations onboard.

This might be a good sign. When we were on Harmony, there were no dining packages offered when we boarded - not sure if any were offered pre-cruise as I don’t really pay attention to those deals. I always buy them the day we board. But for our Thanksgiving cruise (2016), there were none offered because most of the specialty restaurants were booked solid.

If I had to say the two most difficult to book were the Izumi teppanyaki (sp?) and Chops. Although our favorite two restaurants were 150 Central Park (two words - flavored salt!) and Wonderland (a unique experience - not necessarily for everyone, but something you should try once).

Harmony is a great ship, I was on her in October.

For adult only areas, the Solarium is great where you will probably meet the same people most days. Or the Sports Pool on Harmony is actually adults only (your teens would be fine there I think) which is where we spent most of our time and met the same people most sea days.

Piano Bar, I don't think Harmony has anything maybe on the same level as Howl on the Moon sounds. However you may enjoy On Air on the Promenade as a family where karaoke takes place, just across the Promenade is Boleros, where you'll find live music and dancing, this I've noticed is more geared toward adults but it depends what is going on, then up a deck is the Schooner Bar, some trivia games get played here which could be good family fun and some music.

Harmony has a silent disco, 90's street party and on my Allure cruise there was a white party but I can't remember if Harmony did it. All these are indoors though. There is more than this so it's worth going through your daily cruise planner to see what's on.

Evening bites- Sorrento's Pizza (24hrs) and Cafe Promenade is open quite late too.

The shows Harmony have are amazing. Grease was very good, make sure you see the Aqua Theatre shows- The Fine Line is incredible as is the Ice Skating Show. We also really enjoyed Columbus the Musical and Holiday Heist. Tip- Pre-Book them in your online planner before cruising.

Evening bars, Schooner Bar, Boleros as mentioned. The English Pub had live music some nights also, all of these are in the Promenade which does get busy if there is an event on such as the 90's street party or Formal Night.

You may like Dazzles (deck 9), they have music and dancing with a wide range of music in the evenings.

Some great speciality dining, we did Jamie's Italian which we really enjoyed and we found Sabor to be ok. There is also Wonderland which we didn't get to try but will be next time among plenty of other speciality dining options.

Drinks Package we didn't get we paid by the drink as we would never have made the most out of the package. However, the alcohol package includes everything so you can try all the drinks you like! Yes refresher is non-alcohol cocktails, sodas, juices etc.

Things for your children- Zip Line, Rock Climbing, Flow Rider (Also makes great viewing to just sit and watch for a while, Mini Golf, Arcade, Table Tennis, Water Slides, my favourite the Ultimate Abyss!!! (Wear a T-Shirt and don't take a bag!)

Also Escape the Rubicon for a extra price.

If you don't like crowds you will enjoy Central Park, lovely outdoor area which is always so peaceful! Park Cafe (great beef sandwiches and salads) and also a few shops, speciality dining there too.

I found the only time the walk way at the pool decks to be busy were when it was raining, otherwise never found it over-crowded.

For your husband the Windjammer is open good hours so that may suit him as a late sleeper.

We were on Deck 7 on Harmony and found it great, deck 5 is the Promenade, deck 6 Broadway and deck 8 is Central Park and we spent a lot of time in those places so used the stairs. Otherwise elevators would be super busy after shows have finished, or peak food times. Otherwise no problem.

Enjoy your trip!

Schooner Bar serves that function on Royal's ships.

Yay! Do you know if a 17 y/o will be allows in evenings with parents? Thank you!!

This might be a good sign. When we were on Harmony, there were no dining packages offered when we boarded - not sure if any were offered pre-cruise as I don’t really pay attention to those deals. I always buy them the day we board. But for our Thanksgiving cruise (2016), there were none offered because most of the specialty restaurants were booked solid.

If I had to say the two most difficult to book were the Izumi teppanyaki (sp?) and Chops. Although our favorite two restaurants were 150 Central Park (two words - flavored salt!) and Wonderland (a unique experience - not necessarily for everyone, but something you should try once).

Wow, that's good to know. Sounds like I need to start planning. Teppanyaki was the girls favorite on NCL. Hoping to secure that! Thanks for the reply!!

Bigger pool deck on Harmony, you will enjoy that.

Also, make your entertainment reservations as soon as they are available.

Thank you! Just jumped into the cruise planner last night. Do you know about purchasing specialty dining packages? Oddest thing... I bought the BOGO for $40 for the teens so I also purchased for DH and I. I had to choose days 1 and 2 and pick a dining time. Then I tried to also purchase a 5 night package but nights one and two were only offered to select as dining dates. Made no sense and I gave up. Is that only to select a time or are dates sold out? Ever seen that? I'm about 70 days out... gave up. Need to try again!

RCI has limited hours for meals, as well...while there may be something to eat in the WJ,, they do have "set" mealtime hours. You may find cookies or stuff like that between meals. There are other smaller included venues that tend to be open in-between meals.....except late at night....eat well at dinner so you're not hungry

Thank you! We tend to be late diners so that should work.