Packing for cruise

Rmt1948

We are taking our first cruise in over 15 years and all our other cruises have been short trips to Nassau. We are going for 11 days and I am curious as to how other cruisers feel about the use of packing cubes. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maury

I like the packing cubes. Not only do they keep things organised, you can take them right out of the suitcase and pop them in a drawer in a hotel room or on a shelf in your cabin on a cruise.

Keeps things clean and organised and, if TSA decides to inspect your luggage en route it makes their job easy and prevents a mess in your suitcase.

We are a family of three and getting ready to go on our 3rd cruise in March. I used packing cubes on both of our previous cruises and would definitely recommend them. I got ours at Land's End during one of their 40% off sales -- 2 sets for each of us (sm, med, lg) in different colors (black, blue, purple). Once we got to our cabin, they went directly from the suitcase to the shelf (we each have our own shelf) in the closet, stowed the luggage under the bed and in no time we were off exploring the ship. With so little drawer space, the cubes were invaluable in helping to keep our clothes stay organized throughout the week. I also have Eagle Creek Packing cubes and would recommend those as well.

Land's End packing cube link: www.landsend.com/products/everyday-packing-cubes/id_302717?sku_0=::63R

Eagle Creek packing cube link: https://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-organizers-view-all/l/330

I love packing cubes too.

They are very handy if you have to fly.

Remember to cross-pack. I put a packing cube full of my clothes in hubby's checked bag, and he puts a packing cube of his stuff in my checked bag. That way, if either bag goes missing, we each still have clothing. With packing cubes, it's easy and neat.

I like the packing cubes. Not only do they keep things organised, you can take them right out of the suitcase and pop them in a drawer in a hotel room or on a shelf in your cabin on a cruise.

Keeps things clean and organised and, if TSA decides to inspect your luggage en route it makes their job easy and prevents a mess in your suitcase.

Exactly. We've used Llbean and Eagle Creek packing cubes and envelopes for years

I use the cube-shape bags that sheet sets come in for jerseys, underwear, socks. As others have said, I then just toss them into a drawer or closet as is.

For fluffier things, such as a down jacket or sweaters, I use the flat compression bags -- like big sandwich bags -- the kind that you sit on to force out the air.

I love packing cubes too.

They are very handy if you have to fly.

Remember to cross-pack. I put a packing cube full of my clothes in hubby's checked bag, and he puts a packing cube of his stuff in my checked bag. That way, if either bag goes missing, we each still have clothing. With packing cubes, it's easy and neat.

Good point about cross-packing. We do that too.

I pack very compactly. I did a test run with packing cubes once and can actually pack better without them -- no wasted space. I pack things flat and almost never have issues with wrinkles.

I do sometimes use a single packing cube in a carry one for my "just in case my suitcase gets lost" or my "3 days in XX before cruise" clothing. But that's it.

I use zippered mesh laundry bags - found some really good ones at a Japanese "99 cent" store in the Singapore cruise terminal shopping complex. Beware of cheap zippers on the very cheap ebay offerings. I now have a pre-filled packing set of all those little extras that I take on every cruise. They just go into the suitcase when packing for the next cruise, having refilled anything at the end of the last cruise.

Agree, some sort of separate packing cube or mesh bag system is great when staying over-night before the cruise, leaving the ship for an overnigh during the cruise, and for remembering what you need to keep out of your suitcase the last night of the cruise when the suitcase are out the door by midnight. .

I've tried several packing cubes before I found these. https://www.willlandoutdoors.com/products/willland-outdoors-travel-packing-cubes I love them. They are sturdier than others and the plastic part is perfect because I write every item on a piece of paper and slip it behind the plastic section so I know exactly what I have there. Last November on a cruise with different weather, I had my summer stuff and colder weather things in separate cubes - worked really well. The company is Canadian and I think you will see Canadian pricing but they also ship to the US

Love them. The ones I have fit perfectly in my suitcases, and even have several that fit perfectly on end in my duffle bag. In the later, it prevents “load shift” and keeps my bag rectangular. I even have a few organizing my car, hiking daypack and riding pack.

Daiso carries a pretty good version for about $1.50 each.

We find that we also pack better without the cubes.

We do spread clothes to multiple bags just in case a bag goes missing.

We pack sooner rather then later and make a detailed list to begin with thinking though what we will wear each day.

Keith

I use all three methods. I pack flat for most of my clothes. I roll nightwear, etc. and fit on sides. I use cubes for underwear, gloves, scarves, etc.

I agree cubes are wonderful for unpacking on a cruise from suitcase to drawer.

I pack late, but wash clothes early. I put all my clothes on the bed and try to reduce by a third. I have reduced my shoes, which are the heaviest items.

I usually fly long haul so weight of luggage is an issue.