Port questions for 7 day sailing from Rome on Symohony of the Seas

We are considering Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas for a Med cruise after some land days in Italy. Cinque Terre and the Amalfi coast are on our bucket list of things we want to see. Will this cruise see them from land and sea (ports Sorrento and La Spezia) or should we take time before the cruise to experience them? Don't want to miss them but also don't want to duplicate. We can do other things on land portion if this is well covered by ship's excursions. Cruise Sept 20, 2018

We hired a private vendor for a full day and went up the Amalfi Coast. Had a fabulous lunch right on the beach. They helped us map out our day, catering to what we wanted to do. With a group of five of us, we found it just as cost effective as one of the ship's tours that didn't let us customize what we saw and where we went. We were amazed when listening to our fellow cruisers at just how much we got to see compared with the ones taking the excursions offered by the cruise line. It's well worth it, but only use a guide/driver recommended here and on TripAdviser. I think we used Rome In Limo.

I'm booked on a 7 day Serenade cruise out of Barcelona and the ship is offering both Cinque Terre and Amalfi coast excursions. We plan to do Cinque Terre on our own from La Spezia. Amalfi coast excursions are offered out of Naples.

I am booked on Symphony- my sailing doesn't dock in Sorrento....it docks in Nalples. What date are you on that goes to Sorrento? Just wondering!

All her sailings dock in Naples. Sorrento would be an anchor stop for very small ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am booked on Symphony- my sailing doesn't dock in Sorrento....it docks in Nalples. What date are you on that goes to Sorrento? Just wondering!

It docks in Naples but the cruise offers visits to the Amalfy coast, I guess you can also do it your own, it takes 1.5 hour or so by car, all depeds on what time is the embarktion.

I am planning to stay few days after the cruise in the area so will be using this port day to get more familiarized with the ship, letting the kids some time which will probably be more free (our 1st cruise ever) and me enjoying the deluxe drinks package:D:tropical-drink:

I said that the Cruise on Sept 20 stops in Sorrento because the itinerary says Naples/Capri (Sorrento). Similarly when it says Rome (Civitavecchia) and you know the port is not actually Rome. I could be wrong in my assumption. The Symphony is certainly not a small ship by anyone's standards.

I appreciate everyone's input. Will look into Romeinlimo for excursion. cruise2.jpg

Can you tell me more about this? We have not committed for our Sept cruise yet and want to consider all alternatives.

Sorry it was 5 years ago. It was a ships excursion

We drove to Sorrento by bus, shopped, drank limoncello, had lunch. Then drove to Poisatano, boarded boat for a trip to Amalfi. Shopped, gelato, more limoncello, returned to Poisatano.

We did have to stop at cameo store on way back to Naples. 9 hours all together. Next time we go, I'm thinking Capri and Sorrento combo

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We did this itinerary on Harmony in August 2016. As there were six of us in our party, we found excellent tours through Tripadvisor. Cheaper than the ship and really fab in terms of tailoring the touring to meet our needs. We did the Amalfi Coast as well as a tour to Cinque Terre. I highly recommend each one. For Amalfi we used See Amalfi Coast (#1 rating on TripAdvisor). Unfortunately I can't find the info for Cinque Terre - our travel agent set it up.

It's very easy to do the Cinque Terre on your own from La Spezia. We used the train system to see 3 of the towns. We could have fit in a 4th, but didn't want to be stressed out! Absolutely gorgeous area. We were so glad we went there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's very easy to do the Cinque Terre on your own from La Spezia. We used the train system to see 3 of the towns. We could have fit in a 4th, but didn't want to be stressed out! Absolutely gorgeous area. We were so glad we went there!

LisaLisa87, Just for clarification, you did it on your own during an excursion from a cruise, not as part of time you spent in Italy before or after a cruise. Correct?

Yes, on our own when we docked at La Spezia for a day while on a Brilliance cruise that left from Barcelona. We chose the three towns we were most interested in seeing and used the train to get around. I got some good info from Rick Steves' "Mediterranean Cruise Ports" and from the Tom's Port Guide for Livorno. There's some really good info about the CT near the end. Just ignore the part about getting to the CT from Livorno!