Mamma Mia cruise!

RMS Olympic

looking for a Greek Island Cruise that didn’t hit the usual ports overrun by big ships...checked out Star Clippers. Spotted a Mamma Mia cruise that visited off the beaten path island stops referencing the movie. While looking at the web site the mail arrived ...and how strange a Star Clipper brochure arrived. While I’m looking at the itinerary and prices what comes on the TV....the movie Mamma Mia which I had never seen. I thought this was a message from the cruise gods....so I booked the June 2019 sailing. Love Star Clippers,love Greek Islands, and love ABBA..... now to watch the new movie that is being advertised...to see the scenery. 🤓 Mamma Mia, here I go again....cruise cruise.

Thanks for putting this on my radar. It does look like a lovely itinerary, although I have to admit that Mykonos would have been a nice stop despite the fact that, yes, it is way, way touristic. I'm now going to have to give the Mamma Mia tour some serious thought. If the Star Flyer is anything like the Royal Clipper, it is going to be a wonderful experience. I did an all-gay trip to Croatia aboard the Royal Clipper a few years ago and it was unforgettable, especially when the ship was at full sail as it left the port. I'm not sure whether it would be similarly fun in "mixed company," but it is probably a forgone conclusion that anything billed "Mamma Mia" would have a large gay contingent, and if Star Clippers was smart, they would target the LGBT community aggressively.

Speaking of Croatia, isn't that where both of the movies were mostly shot?

I believe the movie was filmed in the islands that this cruise is visiting.

Star Flyer is much smaller than Royal Clipper but just as wonderful. I sailed Star Flyer in Indonesia with Rsvp...loved it. sailed Royal Clipper out of Cannes with Rsvp, loved it. sailed Star Clipper out of saint Maarten on a non. Gay cruise...loved it. So I am not concerned about this cruise not being a charter. I agree the cruise should be marketed to the LGBT community. Now that this new movie is coming out, I suspect the few Mamma Mia cruises scheduled will fill up. I do know the first 4 cabin choices I considered were already booked on my chosen sailing. So if interested, you might look into it. I did appreciate the current offer includes a one cabin upgrade and tips included. Now to go see the new movie and get my ABBA on. So excited, back to the Greek Islands

Oh, I stand corrected - the new MM-HWGA movie was shot in Vis, Croatia; the original movie was shot in Greece.

If this was an all-gay charter, it would be a no-brainer for me, especially since I would be traveling solo. But since this is not, I suspect that it will be almost 100% older couples (the main demographic with disposable income). There is nothing wrong with that at all; it is what it is. But for me as a single, middle-aged-but-not-old person, it can be potentially a very isolating experience, which is compounded by the fact that these ships do not have lots of ways to spend your days at sea. And honestly, who doesn't love a bit of gay drama at sea?!

Very valid points. Your comment on disposable income...on my last cruise a dining table mate made the comment that the reason there are so many gay men on ships is that they have disposable income and the freedom to do as they please

My experience on smallerships is that people are more traveled, less judgmental and very social. All the Star Clipper YouTube videos I have watched suggest the elderly don’t travel on ships without elevators or have to deal with gangway.

As there is only one sea day, I will have sufficient time to shmooz the crew. As a solo cruiser, I always bring my own gay drama and unleash it under the stars. If your more gay charter oriented, you might check out the new company Vacaya....which looks like fun to Ptown. Me, I’m headed to Greece to look at Greek men, have some Greek salad, some white wine and shots of ouzo. mamma Mia, here I go again

Bon voyage on whatever your cruise selection is.

Ciao for now.