Water on the Dream

jp2746

I ordered water for our cruise a few months back and decided today to order more. When I tried to order the 12 packs, they are now charging a delivery fee per 12 pack. I called to ask why and the guy told me that you can just go down to the fun shop and buy a 12 pack of water when we get onboard. Is that true? I read somewhere that if you wait you have to pay 18% gratuity. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on water but my husband is very sensitive to chemicals that are put into water so he doesn't want to take any chances with ship water.

So, my question is can I purchase a 12 pack without gratuity in the fun shop and just bring it to our room? Will I pay more if I wait? First time on Carnival and hoping it all goes smoothly.

Thanks!

I ordered water for our cruise a few months back and decided today to order more. When I tried to order the 12 packs, they are now charging a delivery fee per 12 pack. I called to ask why and the guy told me that you can just go down to the fun shop and buy a 12 pack of water when we get onboard. Is that true? I read somewhere that if you wait you have to pay 18% gratuity. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on water but my husband is very sensitive to chemicals that are put into water so he doesn't want to take any chances with ship water.

So, my question is can I purchase a 12 pack without gratuity in the fun shop and just bring it to our room? Will I pay more if I wait? First time on Carnival and hoping it all goes smoothly.

Thanks!

Following...

I always buy some bottled water from the fun shop online and ask for it to be delivered to the room on the first day. It is $4.50/12 pack with a 68 cent fee and no tax. It is well worth it to buy it before you go aboard because it will be waiting on you when you get to your stateroom or arrive shortly thereafter. It won't be any cheaper to wait to buy it onboard, but it would involve more of a hassle. I don't know if you can buy water through the onboard fun shop but you can order water delivered through room service. The room service phone queue always seems to be busy. They might charge you a 18% gratuity which would make your water $5.31/12 pack. Very little difference as far as price goes whether you buy it in advance or choose to wait. The bottled water is great to take ashore with you on excursions. You won't find any cheaper safe drinking water when you go ashore.

On about half of the Carnival cruises that I have went on, I thought that the tea and water on the lido tasted funny. I think that it might have something to do with either the ice makers not being rinsed well after cleaning or not being cleaned properly.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was charging me a couple of dollars for the delivery fee, but I realized it is per 12 pack. You're right, I am going to just pay the delivery fee. I didn't realize that it was only 68 cents. That is worth it! But I do think it is funny that they charge 68 cents to lug a 12 pack of water to your room, but charge $1.50 to deliver a tiny stuffed bear. :)

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was charging me a couple of dollars for the delivery fee, but I realized it is per 12 pack. You're right, I am going to just pay the delivery fee. I didn't realize that it was only 68 cents. That is worth it! But I do think it is funny that they charge 68 cents to lug a 12 pack of water to your room, but charge $1.50 to deliver a tiny stuffed bear. :)

When I originally was going to place my order I had beer included and the delivery fee was really high and I said no way. I told my husband to buy buckets at the bar and put in fridge. :') When I just did the water, I realized it was only 68 cents so I kept it. I think it is actually a 15% delivery fee so the higher the cost, the higher the fee

Even bottled water has minerals in it, to keep it from feeling "flat" in your mouth. Especially "spring" water. The ship's water is the same stuff that's in the bottles...purified and filtered.

I believe you, and its possible it's all in my head, but I hate the water on cruiseships! It has a funny taste and I'll avoid it at all costs! and I'm not fussy at home, I'll drink whatever water you give me. But on the ships I don't even like brushing my teeth with it! In the MDR? It tastes very chemical-ish (not a word, I know!) or as if the ice cubes were really old... so I buy the bottles of water and take them with us many places onboard.

When did Carnival start extending the 15% fee to 12-packs of bottled water? 12-packs of bottled water and the drink packages were supposed to be exempt.

I just ordered water 5 mins ago and it only charges .68 cents for delivery. There was no 15% gratuity added to it.

I just ordered water 5 mins ago and it only charges .68 cents for delivery. There was no 15% gratuity added to it.

15% of $4.50 is 68 cents. They are calling it a delivery fee but it is the same cost as if it was a gratuity fee. This is the case on the water. Not sure if the amount rings true on the other items.