First Time with Ponant.

BrisbaneGran

I think we get on as you are getting off. We board in Cape Town on 5 March 2019. You were booked on our cruise I think but have since changed to depart from Australia? I have been to the Maldives and just love some of the island resorts. Male itself doesn't hold much interest to me!

Do you belong to Seabourn Sailors, cruising kirby? Yes we were booked on the Singapore to Singapore....now Sydney to Singapore...84 wonderful days!

• 2 weeks later...
We required an Australian passport to cruise from Melbourne to Sydney on Dawn Princess. I don't think it is Ponant being difficult, I think that is just the way it is and it's probably an Immigration Dept requirement.

I know we require them to sail from Broome to Darwin.

Do let us know how the cruise goes.

Sue

It is not an Immigration Department requirement that passengers cruising in Australian waters need a passport. I have a friend who has cruised in Australian waters three times, without a passport, and doesn't intend to get one. It sounds like a cruise line requirement, which I would challenge.

Of course, if the ship visits an overseas port/international waters, a passport is required.

• 2 months later...
BrisbaneGran: Thank you for posting about your upcoming itinerary and writing a blog on your voyage!

We're booked on the Jan. 28, 2019 departure on the same itinerary in the opposite direction--Cairns to Sydney. We will be on Le Laperouse, one of Ponant's new "expedition" class ships. We've not sailed with Ponant before, but prefer smaller ships. We've sailed several times on SeaDream and Starclippers, and are intrigued by how Ponant approaches the small ship experience. We've been to Australia before, but are eager to see these unique islands and reefs.

We've read all the available reviews, and like most features we've seen about Ponant. I'll watch for your blog, and hope you have a wonderful voyage!

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, We’re booked on this cruise as our first Ponant experience, so see you there! It’s our backyard ( we live in Brisbane) so let me know if you have any questions about the islands etc!