Widows Cruise

patseacruiser

I just cant seem to push the button to book .decisions are so difficult. its only been 4 months now since my husband passed away and I am looking at cruises asking myself if we would be happy, blotting out the reality that there is no we.

thought of booking cruise close to home here in florida from port everglades or Miami but we have been on most of them. over 50 cruises to our credit. I don't think I would be able to cruise on same ship that we cruised together. memories too raw.

did find a cruise line out of Miami which has a special running for a few days. have never been on them before and it will all be brand new for me . I must leave my house for a week or so as it too hard to be alone here. not looking for company, just trying to ease some pain.

I, too, found it so hard to go without my DH. I had to force myself to smile and nothing looked or smelled the same. Don't be hard on yourself. There's no magic day, date or time when you'll feel yourself again. You almost have to [what I call] "fake it!" Put on your best face and go, just go! You never know how you'll feel about it until you try.

At one point in my first cruise alone, I went back to my cabin and just cried. Those darn waves of tears and sadness can come on so suddenly and then, sometimes, they just don't want to leave. Go with it!!! Ride the wave and don't worry how others will perceive you or if your eyes are always looking swollen or red. Just go with it!!!!!!

Seeing other couples together were the saddest reminder of my dilemma!

You've earned your sadness and can do it anytime you feel it! Don't let anyone tell you to "get over it!"

I wish you a new beginning of finding yourself and the joy that lingers somewhere beneath the sadness! ♥ ♥

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well I did it. I pushed the booking button and am sailing next Saturday on the ncl getaway. I need the structurelessness of doing what I want and when I want to be alone. seems to be many other solo people on this cruise so I will not stand out as being alone. hope there is lots of noise on this cruise, which is the opposite of what most cruisers want, to keep the silence of my heart ache hearing laughter in the background helpful.

• Like 1

Enyliram: I, too, am going solo but not with the VTG crowd ... didn't know about it until after I looked the cruise last week. Anyway, I'm looking to gather a Palm Beach county group together to see about sharing a ride to the port. If you're interested, email me at mitzuyon@gmail.com. There's another couple in Lake Worth who want to share a ride so maybe we can pull it together.

I am not part of the VTG group and booked on my own. since my daughter lives in broward county I am staying at her house the night before the cruise and the family will take me to the Miami port. I think they all want to see the ship close up at the dock. good luck getting to share the transportation.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I lost my husband 2.5 years ago. Sept is my first cruise without him, but I did invite my best friend and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law so I won't be cruising solo. Maybe someday in the future...I'm sure after this one, my best friend will fall in love with cruising, too! 

I belong to a few widow's groups on FB that have helped a lot.

I like the idea of a widow's cruise!

Lisa