Buying a beer

court1

I have pre paid my gratuity's and my question is, when I buy a beer from the bar how much do I pay?(Independence OTS)
The pre paid grats are just for the stateroom and dining teams. If you don't have a beverage package then you'll pay the cost of the beer ($6ish I think not certain though it's been a while since I bought one) plus 18% gratuity for the bar staff. It will be charged to tour seapass account and charged to your credit card at the end of the cruise. Keep the receipts the barman give you and check them off against your account every few days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

The pre paid grats are just for the stateroom and dining teams. If you don't have a beverage package then you'll pay the cost of the beer ($6ish I think not certain though it's been a while since I bought one) plus 18% gratuity for the bar staff. It will be charged to tour seapass account and charged to your credit card at the end of the cruise. Keep the receipts the barman give you and check them off against your account every few days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I agree. Prepaid grats does not include drinks that are served. 18% gratuity is added to the cost of the drinks and is charged to your account. You can add an additional gratuity if you like.

Not all cruise lines do this but RC do.

If you have no drink package, you pay for the beer plus 18% gratuity...which is PLENTY for opening a beer! If you have a drink package that covers booze, you pay nothing extra at the time you get a drink....you will pay and extra 18% on the cost of the package when you buy it.

Not sure if its still the case now but if you sail from the UK the gratuities used to be included in the price of the drink and not added separately.

Same price but I guess the reason being that it is easier to administer in traditionally non tipping countries like us in the UK.

Keep the receipts the barman give you and check them off against your account every few days.

This is good advice, We had to have several beverages removed from our tab that we did not purchase. It seemed the Solarium bar on Oasis had a habit of adding additional drinks to our account. I don't know if they were just putting other people's drinks on our tab, or trying to pad their bottom line. But had we not checked, we'd have paid.

I have pre paid my gratuity's and my question is, when I buy a beer from the bar how much do I pay?(Independence OTS)

If you are sailing from England then the price on the menu is inclusive of the 18% tip.

The price you see is the price you pay. No need to tip any more.

The prepaid gratuities cover housekeeping and waiter staff and are totally separate from the bar staff tip. Everyone onboard utilises the services of housekeeping and waiters; whereas it would be unfair to ask some people who never go near a bar to buy a drink all cruise to pay (or even prepay) gratuities on a service they do not use.