7 night San Juan--San Juan Dec. 6

Carole444

Yes, this is our first SD. We are really looking forward to it. We are traveling with another couple and had originally planned to charter a catamaran, which we've done before and loved, then saw this and thought we do something different. We love to snorkel and thought the sport deck would be nice--when the use it. We did a Windspirit once and were disappointed that it wasn't used too much. Hoping this will be different.

Where did you go on your other SD trips?

Yes, this is our first SD. We are really looking forward to it. We are traveling with another couple and had originally planned to charter a catamaran, which we've done before and loved, then saw this and thought we do something different. We love to snorkel and thought the sport deck would be nice--when the use it. We did a Windspirit once and were disappointed that it wasn't used too much. Hoping this will be different.

Where did you go on your other SD trips?

DJ's DH and I chartered a 38-foot sailboat in the Caribbean twice before we sailed with SD. We have 30 nights on SD, all in the Caribbean. We have sailed the mainstream cruise lines (Princess, Holland America, RCCL, Disney) and another luxury line, Seabourn. I must say that we have found SD to be as close to the boating experience we love in complete luxury. We love being able to get to some of our favorite anchorages on SD on islands like Jost Van Duke and Peter Island as well as Virgin Gorda.

Just know that when you sail on SD the itineraries are flexible and subject to change based on conditions ... much the same way they are when you sail yourself. We don't mind this at all since our cruises are all about our time on the yacht.

We have never been on a Windstar cruise, but we have been at anchor with their ships several times in the Caribbean and Med. I've never seen a Windstar marina in use. I think you'll have better luck with SeaDream.

SeaDream will generally use the marina wherever possible. Reasons they can't put the marina down include bad weather, choppy seas, strong currents, and heavy harbor traffic. It comes down to the Captain's assessment of the conditions and his discretion about the safety of passengers. SeaDream will not let people swim off the platform when the wave runners are operating so there will be separate times scheduled. Some ports are better protected than others. Our experience is that it is more likely that you will be able to use the platform in St. Barts where there is a large protected anchorage than in Marigot, St. Martin or Nevis where you are anchored farther out.

We have chartered boats and lived aboard our boat for 7 years and would not go back (Never go back-- a guy rule) as long as we have SeaDream in the form it is (or better even in the future).

The "Never go back" rule is right after the "Never ask for directions" rule in the Guy Handbook ... right?;)

As I have said before ... SD is the perfect vacation for us as it gives us the feeling that we are sailing on our own yacht with an incredible staff that exceeds our expectations. I really need to work on DJ's DH to squeeze in a SD fix before our scheduled TA in Fall '10:cool:

To keep us on topic ...

While the marina may be down/out the motorized toys (jet skis) aren't always available. For example, when we were in Peter Island, which is part of the BVI, the marina was out for swimming but not the motorized toys. The BVI and USVI are very strict about those motorized toys.

Sounds like we did the right thing switching to the SD! Our captain on the catamaran was French and a little set in his ways, and the cook couldn't possibly be as good as the SD. Maybe we won't even care about the sports deck.

So DJ--are you arriving a day or two before the cruise? We're just coming in one night before, staying at the Sheraton, Convention Center--not sure why, but didn't really care too much. We're flying from LA--and you're from Chicago area? We lived there a couple years before we come out to CA, but that was 40 years ago.

We've been to the Caribbean several times as well and are looking forward to trying the Sea Dream. We were on a cruise with some people who had been on it the last time we cruised and they couldn't stop raving. We've done the mainstreat ones as well but have a feeling this will spoil us. Any insider information since you're seasoned travelers on this line?

Did you consider staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan? It is right across the street from the cruise ship terminal (less than 5 minute walk, even when pulling luggage) plus you get the added benefit of being able to walk around OSJ the night and morning before you board.

Hi Carol and Allan,

What a pleasant surprise to find you here. Especially happy you are going to experience the yachts of SeaDream.

We have (will) have been on board both yachts six times in the Carribbean and one ill-fated attempt of

trying to establish a Mayan itinerary.

We depart from Lisbon on October 27 for the trans-Atlantic crossing to San Juan and again on February 21st for seven nights from Antigua. Obviously, we

can't say enough about this line. The crew are wonderful and the service impeccable. You are in for a treat!

We so enjoyed our time together last year on Azamara

and wish you both the very best.

Bill and John

Hi Carol and Allan,

What a pleasant surprise to find you here. Especially happy you are going to experience the yachts of SeaDream.

We have (will) have been on board both yachts six times in the Carribbean and one ill-fated attempt of

trying to establish a Mayan itinerary.

We depart from Lisbon on October 27 for the trans-Atlantic crossing to San Juan and again on February 21st for seven nights from Antigua. Obviously, we

can't say enough about this line. The crew are wonderful and the service impeccable. You are in for a treat!

We so enjoyed our time together last year on Azamara

and wish you both the very best.

Bill and John

Hi Guys:

We were on the Mayan Itinerary on SeaDream II (12/5-12/12/04). Were you on this one? As it was our first SD trip and as we had recently endured the disastrous Maiden Voyage of QM2 and a Carnival cruise on the Holiday:eek:, we were very pleased with SD. We were told it was the very first of the Mayan trips and there were only 59 passengers with 98 crew! Bonus--no kiddies! One weather related incident substituted Puerto Aventuras which we enjoyed. I understand there were problems with the weather as well as the Mexican govt. on later trips. Wish they would do something similar again (possibly Costa Rica).

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

Hi Bill and John--I heard from Cindy that you guys were going on another Sea Dream--I had no idea you had been on so many before. I think it was your comments on the last cruise that pushed us into this one. Too bad we're not doing one of the same you are--but yours sound a lot more interesting! Maybe someday we'll all get together again. We really had fun on the last cruise too--made it a lot more special to have our little private cocktail parties! (Then there was the sea urchin which made it not so great--but we won't get into that!) We'll stay in touch.

Haven't figured out how to respond to each post--so just let me add here for Stan--the Sheraton Old Town was fully booked. It's only one night and we figured we can take a cab to the "action" at night.

Sounds like we did the right thing switching to the SD! Our captain on the catamaran was French and a little set in his ways, and the cook couldn't possibly be as good as the SD. Maybe we won't even care about the sports deck.

So DJ--are you arriving a day or two before the cruise? We're just coming in one night before, staying at the Sheraton, Convention Center--not sure why, but didn't really care too much. We're flying from LA--and you're from Chicago area? We lived there a couple years before we come out to CA, but that was 40 years ago.

We've been to the Caribbean several times as well and are looking forward to trying the Sea Dream. We were on a cruise with some people who had been on it the last time we cruised and they couldn't stop raving. We've done the mainstreat ones as well but have a feeling this will spoil us. Any insider information since you're seasoned travelers on this line?

Sorry to say we won't be joining you on this cruise. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else ... perhaps MarDav as they have posted that they are sailing with you.

When we sailed out of SJU we stay at the Caribe Hilton on HiltonHonors Points. It's a quick cab ride to Old San Juan and the port.

I will bump my latest trip report up for you to read and glean info. There isn't anything that I would consider insider info but you have find it informative:p

Sorry for the confusion DisneyJen. I cannot figure out how to respond to a particular post on this site--only when I post reply it goes at the end. I'd love to read your trip report, though--thank you so much! And MarDav--write back to me and maybe I'll figure out how to get to you!

Sorry for the confusion DisneyJen. I cannot figure out how to respond to a particular post on this site--only when I post reply it goes at the end. I'd love to read your trip report, though--thank you so much! And MarDav--write back to me and maybe I'll figure out how to get to you!

No problem Carole!

There are two buttons that you can use to quote. The one with the "+" signs allows for multi quotes (to quote a series of people) and single quote allows to quote that one post:D

We have sailed twice with MarDav ... I am sure you will be able to catch up with them!

No problem Carole!

There are two buttons that you can use to quote. The one with the "+" signs allows for multi quotes (to quote a series of people) and single quote allows to quote that one post:D

We have sailed twice with MarDav ... I am sure you will be able to catch up with them!

thanks so much--after all these years on the board I finally know how it works!

Yes, DH & I are on this cruise with you... starting to get excited to be back on board SD... 3rd SD for us. First in the Med and this will be the second in Caribbean.

Great! Where are you from? Did you take this exact itinerary last time you were in the Caribbean?

Great! Where are you from? Did you take this exact itinerary last time you were in the Caribbean?

We are on the December 6 cruise also. We recently moved to San Diego. Last SD Caribbean itinerary was similar except the ship docked in St. Bart's for two nights and this trip includes St. Martin and Saba. Firt time in Saba. It's interesting to visit ports but for us the fun is being back on board the SD yacht!

We are on the December 6 cruise also. We recently moved to San Diego. Last SD Caribbean itinerary was similar except the ship docked in St. Bart's for two nights and this trip includes St. Martin and Saba. Firt time in Saba. It's interesting to visit ports but for us the fun is being back on board the SD yacht!

I totally agree. The Caribbean is not that exciting--but a nice place for the yacht to be!

So we live in Huntington Beach--not so far from you. Are you flying from LAX? The day before? Maybe we're on the same flight.

We're in Scottsdale. The itinerary is slightly different this year. I think we had Guadaloupe and Nevis on the itinerary last time and they were replaced with Saba and St. Martin.

I totally agree. The Caribbean is not that exciting--but a nice place for the yacht to be!

So we live in Huntington Beach--not so far from you. Are you flying from LAX? The day before? Maybe we're on the same flight.

We are flying out of SD late on the 4th and visiting family for a few hours in NC and then flying on for an overnight in San Juan. The stop over in NC breaks up the trip so it doesn't seem quite so long.

We are flying out of SD late on the 4th and visiting family for a few hours in NC and then flying on for an overnight in San Juan. The stop over in NC breaks up the trip so it doesn't seem quite so long.

Where are you staying in SJ? We'll be there overnight on the 4th as well.

Archived