"The shot"?

rickandpat

Two weeks from tomorrow, we're on our way out of St. Thomas, first time on SeaDream. We've done plenty of small-boat cruises on much smaller ones than SeaDream (16-passenger cruise for a week in Galapagos, gulet along coast of Turkey, etc). Rarely have problems with seasickness, but did have one evening in Galapagos that was not fun. What is this "shot" I heard about on other posts? Problem with bonine, is by the time you realize you should have taken it, it's pretty much too late.

The "shot" is an injection, administered by the doctor that works wonders in curing mal de mare, but IMO it is easier to just take Bonine all along and not have to worry about it. I have no idea what the medicine that is involved might be, but according to everyone who has had it , it works very well, but ti does knock you out for a few hours.

While I've never needed "the injection" while on a cruise, I've always assumed it was a rx medication to treat accute nausea or motion sickness, such as compazine or phenergan.

I don't know of any medication that would last for days though from one dose (either given orally or intramuscularly). I imagine it lasts long enough to get you through the accute phase and then you even out (and/or the seas calm down).

I did take compazine orally when on a transpacific crossing once. It pays to have a doc (aka husband) sleeping next to you ;)

Regardless, I'm in total agreement with Jim. . .if you're sick, why risk your vacation, when you can be treated for it relatively easily?

Having just done a cruise on SeaDream and suffered with seasickness, I would definitely go for the shot if you think you might be sick. Nauseated is no way to spend time on a SeaDream yacht. :eek:

Only if caused by excessive time at the TOYBar.:eek::D

Don't know about the "shot" but do know about seasickness, at least my wife does.

She had it bad, our ship had quite the roll going and she was gettn way green. I gave her a scope patch and 30-45 min. later the green was gone!

The thing about pills is you need to start early cuz its tough to hold down a pill once you start going green.

Archived