4 SD Regulars Cheating a Little With Regent In Alaska

whatnot

Well the Vandrefalks and the Whatnots fly out Friday for a NEW adventure in several ways! New for going to Alaska for the first time for all of us, new for going on Regent, and it's been 6 straight cruises on SD for the whatnots without cheating!

I am very much looking forward to this trip. The scenery is suppose to be breathtaking. Really curious how I will feel about this new ship and new staff. I am already having these feelings about oh I won't be seeing some of my favorite waiters, bar people, etc. Hope it all works out well. I'll miss getting hugs from friends when I board.

I want to thank Frequent Traveler for advice from her Regent Alaska trip last June. She gave us very valuable info that we have used in planning our trip.

We are going to Anchorage and spending 5 days on land prior to cruise. We did a custom pre cruise package not one of the cruise line packages. We will do the LONG (13 hr) tour into Denali and also the Kenai Fjords cruise from Seward.

One or the other of us will check in if we can. Regent Internet is pretty pricey. 95 cents a minute or buy a plan that is $85 for 100 minutes. It gets cheaper the more you buy.

Can't really do a comparative review of the location but will do one of the ships, food, service, etc upon return.

I look forward to reading your report(s)...

And I think it's funny that people speak of "cheating" on SeaDream now... ;)

I was considering another cheating cruise in 2013, but now I'm thinking I want to go to Central America. We'll see what happens.

I haven't been to Alaska and I'm curious, so I hope you'll give us a full detailing of your Regent experiences! :)

Whatnot, thanks for starting this thread! We're almost all packed and my thanks to FT as well for her good advice!

I know I'm subconsciously going to be looking for Zoltan or Christophe or Frud or the many other crew we know and love. Wonder if Regent has any idea what they have to live up to :D?

Will try to post a bit, but, as Whatnot mentioned, Regent's internet fees are exorbitant, so may not do much -- plus expect we'll be very busy with our excursions, etc. Can one get bored with seeing one more bald eagle???

Vandrefalk

As to the bald eagle question: yes you can.:eek: But maybe not in a week or so. In the late 80's, I worked up there and they are everywhere. Dozens at a time would land in my ships rigging. Beautiful sight.:D

Whatnot, thanks for starting this thread! We're almost all packed and my thanks to FT as well for her good advice!

I know I'm subconsciously going to be looking for Zoltan or Christophe or Frud or the many other crew we know and love. Wonder if Regent has any idea what they have to live up to :D?

Will try to post a bit, but, as Whatnot mentioned, Regent's internet fees are exorbitant, so may not do much -- plus expect we'll be very busy with our excursions, etc. Can one get bored with seeing one more bald eagle???

Vandrefalk

Believe me, you will have time to post . . . the wait time between courses at dinner can be unbearably long. (we bought the big package of Internet time -whatever it was , it was still cheaper than SD's dalry rateand I was able to work until we got close to Hubbard glacier!). You will need to grab your place on the back deck early if you want to be outside and warm for the outside viewing - but the balconies were great too.

We didn't expect SD service - ship is just too big and our voyage was crammed full with families - well behaved, but just too many people. Scenery and wildlife more than made up for it -such that we are talking about going back to Alaska next year. And we never got tired of the bald eagles, whales, seals . . . you get the picture. Have fun and enjoy the walk in closet, large bathroom, and full room service menu. We prefer SD service, but for Alaska and getting to Sitka (my favorite stop), Navigator was good. Are you landing on a glacier anytime? Another favorite. Don't forget the bug repellant - my shirt from REI and wrist bands were wonderful when the guy next to me on a bike ride was getting bit on his forehead!.

FT

Oh wow - in 30 days we'll be in route to Venice . . .just got an e-mail yesterday saying we had been "upgraded" from deck 2 to 4 -- I like deck 2!

Hey FT. Look at Silversea in AK next year. We have a big "0" anniversary next August and are seriously looking at that. Most claim their food/service is as good as anyones. And----not very kid friendly.:eek::D

Hey FT. Look at Silversea in AK next year. We have a big "0" anniversary next August and are seriously looking at that. Most claim their food/service is as good as anyones. And----not very kid friendly.:eek::D

Dress code prohibits SS.

Dress code prohibits SS.

Tux no longer the only way. Formal is ok with dark suit & tie. I take a navy blazer even on SD so no big deal to take the matching navy slacks and a tie or two. Hey, took the real deal formal wear on Queen Victoria--in a carry on.:eek:

Tux no longer the only way. Formal is ok with dark suit & tie. I take a navy blazer even on SD so no big deal to take the matching navy slacks and a tie or two. Hey, took the real deal formal wear on Queen Victoria--in a carry on.:eek:

I am not the issue.

I am not the issue.

Not nice to hijack whatnot's thread . . .or throw me under the bus. Back on topic,

whatnot - please post about the 13 hr tour into Denali - we did the much shorter tour with tour guide from "he double toothpick" but saw some great animals, including the little seen lynx and lots of moose. Also very interested in the Kenai fjords - didn't make that one last time either.

Safe travels and hope you make all your connections. . I'll be in Santiago next week but wishing I was watching whales and icebergs.

FT

Nice job using those attorney skills to get back on topic! I have 2 in my family so I Know from experience!

Will certainly let you know about both those tours in Denali and Kenai. We are not doing a landing on a glacier. We are doing the Tracy Arm trip which I hear is good. But my DH and i are going Salmon fishing, which we are excited about. There are just too many things to choose from in such a short period of time. I havn't even been there yet and I can already see why you are thinking about going back again.

Have a good trip to Santiago!

You 4 will have a great time. I've lurked/read enough to know that you 4 will have a great time anywhere!

I'm in the minority here I know. I do love SeaDream, but I am not as married to them as most of you are. I like change, as long as it's good. I try not to do direct comparisons of vacations, ships, crew, etc., and that works for me. I find joy where I find it.

In other words, I can't imagine you not loving your Alaskan cruise on the Navigator. We did it last fall and had an extraordinary adventure. As FT as already said, you'll love the large cabins, closets, bathroom. And naturally, you'll love the scenery. Heck, you could be in a broken down tug boat and love that.

We had a lovely experience, and I have no problems recommending the line and the ship and the itinerary.

Here's my thread in which I posted live from the ship last September:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1471396

and here is the post cruise review thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1483941

Have a blast!

Going to have to live vicariously through you 4 this time, but will look forward to hearing all about your trip - either through updates here or full reviews once you return.

Travel safely and have a wonderful, wonderful time! I know Vandrefalk will be taking lots of pics (hint, hint!) so will be anxious to see those too! ;)

We are doing the Tracy Arm trip which I hear is good. But my DH and i are going Salmon fishing, which we are excited about.

We loved Tracy Arm - not only did we see tons of seals (literally,lost count) but on the way back saw a tree with at least 20 bald eagles in it and 3 different types of whales.

Salmon weren't running yet when we were there last year - so salmon fishing is still on my to do list --- very interested in the details.

And mimito4 - I really dislike people! (sure the feeling is likely mutual) - so I hate crowded public spaces and waiting - for a tender, a table, etc - between that and the service, haven't found anything close to SD (especially - since as my husband puts it - I refuse to dress up in "cocktail or semi formal attire" while on ETO).

FT

And mimito4 - I really dislike people! (sure the feeling is likely mutual) FT

;) Ok, I will admit it, too. I prefer "other" animals over human animals most days. And for whatever it's worth, I have a sense you and I would get along fabulously. You're spunky, I'm spunky, you say your mind, I say my mind. I'm just a bit older and have learned to hold my tongue. . .most, if not a lot of the time. That's probably because I'm retired and have more leisure time, although I will admit, I will still sigh loudly at Starbucks when someone places an a**hole order while a long line has formed. :p

Sorry, for the mini-hijack you Alaskan cruisers. Hope you're having a great time, and I hope you see lots of more-charming-than-human animals!

Alaskancruise2011072.jpg

As for you, FT, we must travel sometime together!

Quick check in. All arrived safely in ANC -- Hilton was fine . Dinner at Sacks Cafe -- great halibut! Up VERY early for the train to Denali. We were in a Holland America car at the very end of the train. Meant we could go to the back "deck" for pictures. The car was lovely with great visibility. Food good -- just a delightful experience. Denali area rustic and BUSY! The 13 hour trip into Denali gave us a very bouncy ride -- saw caribou, dall sheep, grizzly, snowshoe hare -- all pretty far away -- had rain ,hail, sun -- all in one day! Up early again today for coach to Kenai -- gorgeous scenery -- took tons of pics coming through Touringan Arm (sp). Wingsong is lovely -- on the Resurrection River and surrounded by impressive mountains and a glacier.

Tomorrow is Kenai fjords cruise and Wed we board Regent. There is so much more to describe, but it will likely have to wait til our return. Suffice it to say that this land is so impressive and the people are incredible -- we will have to tell you about our driver in Denali -- most unusual woman!

We are having a great time, but it has been a whirlwind so far! We will try to post updates as we can, but expect detailed reviews (and pics) will have to wait til our return!

Vandrefalk

WOW! What a day! Seward is a beautiful quaint fishing town. The Kenai Fjords Cruise was spectacular. In 6 hours we saw 2 pods of Orcas that were within about 50 yds of our boat, a pod of Humpbacks feeding as a group doing bubble net feeding which is unusual behavior for Humpbacks, Dall's porpoise, sea otters, Steller sea lion, black bear,mountain goat, bald eagle, puffin, and many seabirds nesting on the sides of very steep cliffs.

Also saw Holgate Glacier calving.

Will check in later.

We are in Sitka! Beautiful and reminds me a bit of Norway. Sailed Hubbard Glacier yesterday -- spectacular views and saw whales. Whatnot and her DH have gone into town begore their salmon fishing trip, we are hanging out til our Raptor Center tour. Weather is beautiful -- we've ben very lucky. 3G access in Sitka :-)

Ship is really lovely and crew very nice, but too many people. Would love it if there were about 250 less.

More later from one or the other of us!

Vandrefalk

• 2 weeks later...

We've been back for a couple of days but been have been dealing with those reality issues! Restocking food, washing clothes, and dealing with our house and yard in 2 days of 105 degree heat and another 103 day. The upstairs air also went out.

Alaska was amazing! If you have not been put it on your list of places to go. Regent was certainly not our beloved Sea Dream but from all I can tell the best choice for a smaller ship in Alaska.

Rooms: Regent has very spacious rooms with a large walkin closet. Bathrooms are spacious with both a tub and shower. The balcony was also quite nice. Advantage Regent.

Check in: Went quickly. We were given a glass of champagne but no familiar faces! They said 2:00 but we got on about 12:30 and had lunch on board. Which was nice. Pretty much a tie.

Food: There are 3 restaurants on Regent. Prime 7 where you must make a reservation before boarding or soon after to get a good time. We thought it was excellent. So popular that you could not get a repeat visit during the week. Compass Rose, the main dining room which is open for breakfast lunch and dinner. It's beautiful but we only ate there for dinner twice and it was very good. Breakfast hours did not fit our schedule since they don't open until 8:00. The 3rd is La Veranda which is buffet for breakfast and lunch but starting after the dry dock in May, became Sette Mari at La Veranda at dinner. It was very good. Italian food featuring seafood but having a great variety of Italian cuisine. The appetizers and desserts are served buffet style but the pastas courses and entrees are ordered from the menu. We ate there 4 times for dinner. That should tell you something about how much we liked it! Although I enjoyed the food I still love Sea Dream cuisine. Slight advantage Sea Dream.

Dining locations: They would not allow any one to dine outside for dinner. There were tables at La Veranda where you could have breakfast or lunch out side. Also there was the Pool Bar and Grill where you could have a light breakfast and lunch. Advantage Sea Dream.

Service: This is where Sea Dream wins by a mile! In the dining areas, particularly at breakfast, dirty plates were left until the proper person came along to pick them up. Waiters did not help each other. Sometimes it was hard to get coffee. Only one waiter, Umberto, in Sette Mari, took my plate to the table for me and put my napkin in my lap. He could be a Sea Dream waiter. But come to find out, he had been brought in to start Setti Mari and he left the same day we did to go home to Italy. He will be returning to Oceania Marina after his vacation. Such a shame for Regent passengers!

I will continue this review later!

Service :(continued) There were a couple of bright spots in the service. Regent has memory foam mattresses. Mine felt it had lost its memory and had a sink hole in it. I have a bad back and like a VERY FIRM mattress. I complained to our room steward and he put a board under the bottom. That did not work. So he told me he would talk to his supervisor. So by the 3rd night he got me a firm mattress I could live with.

Staff: The Cruise Director was great as well as the entertainment staff. But the wait staff, etc seemed friendly. but not comfortable with talking with you.

Big advantage Sea Dream.

Shore Excursions: We and the Vandrefalks did some excursions together but not all. Would have to say that Tracy Arm was magnificent. We saw hundreds and hundreds of seals and pups on icebergs, got VERY close to both Sawyers glaciers, and saw the most beautiful blue crystal looking icebergs. I still have to download the photos.

Salmon Fishing: My DH and I went out with 2 guys from New Zealand for a 4 hour trip off of Sitka. We were trolling so whenever a fish got on someone got to reel it in. Luckily, the Captain decided the lady was first so I landed an 11 /12 lb King Salmon. The next fish went to one of the New Zealand guys. That's all we caught! But the limit is 1 per person. It's a shame my DH, the fisherman, did not get to catch one. We had it flash frozen and it should come by Fed Ex tomorrow! It will be very expensive Salmon but it was lots of fun and the weather was in the upper 70's so a beautiful day on the water.

The George Sound Crab Feast was a lot of fun too. Saw lots of eagles and great crab!

Included Spirits and Wine: Thought the wine pours were very good. Best example was the house Pino Grigio was Santa Margarita which is $20 a bottle at Sam's. Probably advantage Regent

So, I would do Regent again if it goes somewhere Sea Dream does not go. It is a beautiful ship and I did enjoy the evening entertainment. I do not have to have that though. I think you get to know people better on Sea Dream because of the intimacy of the ship, the evening cocktail hours, and the 112 people or less. At times there were just too many people. I don't like waiting in lounges for tenders. but that was only for one port.

I'll be glad to answer any questions!

Archived