A few Symphony of the Seas questions

Hello,

We are departing out of Civitavecchia (Rome) on August 23. Departure time is 8 pm. This type of cruise is new to me, as there are two standard departure ports, Barcelona and Rome.

1. With an 8 pm departure time, what is the likely boarding time?

2. I have looked through various bar menus, but can't find pricing for higher end whiskey. Is this published somewhere on the ship?

3. We have booked the Solarium bistro for dinner one night. Can you get a table with a view of the ocean, or are all tables somewhat the same?

4. Are there drink menus from Vintages posted anywhere? I have found some for other bars. Wine lists from any restaurants?

5. Any thoughts on potential high waves in the western Mediterranean? DW is a little prone to seasickness.

6. How is access to shade up near the pools? A little strange to ask, I know, but a couple in our party are very sensitive to sun and would like to be in shade if possible.

7. Is it easier to get specialty coffee at Park Café or Café Promenade? We have Deluxe Beverage package so want to stay away from the standalone Starbucks.

Thanks in advance. We have other questions that are probably better suited for asking after the ship has been in operation for a couple of months.

Mark

With regard to a view of the ocean in the Solarium Bistro, I don't think one table is much different than another. You're still looking through structure supporting the Solarium glass.

Answers to some of your questions:

1. Boarding time will be somewhen between 10 and 11 am. Don´t you have designated boarding time chosen during online check-in? They do that for Barcelona but I heard that not everyone did have to chose one.

2. If it´s not in the menu it´s not published. You have to ask.

3. There are no direct ocean view tables in the Solarium Bistro. It´s sorrounded by the Solarium area.

4. Sorry, on our pre inaugural Vintages had no menu available.

5. We did not encounter any high waves in that area in August. But in the Gulf of Lion (Marseilles) there can be high winds (Mistral) and there´s alway a possibility of higher waves.

6. The Beach pool has umbrellas and there´s always a shady area underneath the deck 16.

7. There is no coffee bar in Park Café anymore and therefore no specialty coffees. So go to Promenade Café.

steamboats

I have sailed the Med a lot over the years, cruising and whilst in the Royal Navy. I have seen 30-foot waves in a force 9 gale (not on a cruise) and very strange flat seas like this:

IMuA4vgJBhI

Cruise ships like to avoid rough seas where possible, but with the Oasis class ships, due to their size and modern tech, you won't feel a thing. On Oasis, there were times when I didn't know if the ship was at sea or still docked. It's that calm.

Also, Allure went into Florida port during a hurricane and was the only cruise ship that was able and safe to do so.

I’m also on a similar itinerary in June boarding in Rome. I’m wondering how the Barcelona port debarkation and excursions will work. I see the ship is scheduled to arrive at 5 am and I’m trying to schedule tours. How soon will I be able to leave the ship for independent tours?

How does this process work with passengers debarking / embarking and coming/going to excursions. I didn’t really see any RCCL excursions in Barcelona either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m also on a similar itinerary in June boarding in Rome. I’m wondering how the Barcelona port debarkation and excursions will work. I see the ship is scheduled to arrive at 5 am and I’m trying to schedule tours. How soon will I be able to leave the ship for independent tours?

How does this process work with passengers debarking / embarking and coming/going to excursions. I didn’t really see any RCCL excursions in Barcelona either.

First guests will normally be leaving the ship 30-45 minutes after arrival.

Cruise ships like to avoid rough seas where possible, but with the Oasis class ships, due to their size and modern tech, you won't feel a thing. On Oasis, there were times when I didn't know if the ship was at sea or still docked.

I read this comment a lot about theses ships and disagree. I’m prone to motion sickness and felt the ship rocking when I was on the Allure. It really depends on your sensitivity level and on the winds the ship encounters. But it is incorrect to say that you don’t feel anything onboard, because you personally might feel it and so you should bring whatever you use against sea sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Express departure was 6:15 - 7:30 am on the Harmony. First colors were called for 6:45 am. Last colors were 9:00 to 9:30 am. I just read that this obviously is still the same for the Symphony in Barcelona.

The Symphony is using two terminals in Barcelona. The forward cabins disembark at B and the aft ones at C. It´s a pretty efficent and quick process. Done that with 3 Oasis Class ships now (actually all three of them and will do with the Symphony in May).

steamboats

When we sailed on Allure out of Rome, very few people got on or off in Rome. Most everyone got on or off in Barcelona. We were told only 20% of the ship turned over in Rome and the boarding process reflected that low number. Boarding was a breeze. We were on the ship 5 minutes after getting to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BigChiefJJ have you received your boarding docs? When is boarding time for the ship in Rome? We are on a cruise in August and need to know what the window is for arrivals and boarding.

HokieTraveler

Per my phone call to RCCL boarding for Platinum and up will begin at 2pm. Rest will start at 2:30pm. We are sailing out of Civi on 6/21. If I had to guess you likely be able to get on before that...but that is just based on my experience at all other embarcations I have experienced with RCCL.

Express departure was 6:15 - 7:30 am on the Harmony. First colors were called for 6:45 am. Last colors were 9:00 to 9:30 am. I just read that this obviously is still the same for the Symphony in Barcelona.

The Symphony is using two terminals in Barcelona. The forward cabins disembark at B and the aft ones at C. It´s a pretty efficent and quick process. Done that with 3 Oasis Class ships now (actually all three of them and will do with the Symphony in May).

steamboats

I'm wondering about this also, I'm guessing that in Barcelona those of us who boarded in Civitavecchia can just debark whenever?

My cruise planner does show one tour in Barcelona, it's a city highlights tour.

You mean the one for Platinum and above? On the Allure we had it in La Spezia at 8 pm. I can´t find the time and date for the Harmony Med cruise anymore.

steamboats

Yes that one! Thank you

ok another question, thanks for being so helpful:

When we debark in Barcelona,do we get a separate line or do we have to go off with everyone ending their cruise? (we start in Rome) I'm asking because that can be a long line, and if we have to wait then I won't book any early tours. I'd rather walk right off later. nothing wrong with sleeping in.

• 2 months later...
Hello,

We are departing out of Civitavecchia (Rome) on August 23. Departure time is 8 pm. This type of cruise is new to me, as there are two standard departure ports, Barcelona and Rome.

1. With an 8 pm departure time, what is the likely boarding time?

2. I have looked through various bar menus, but can't find pricing for higher end whiskey. Is this published somewhere on the ship?

3. We have booked the Solarium bistro for dinner one night. Can you get a table with a view of the ocean, or are all tables somewhat the same?

4. Are there drink menus from Vintages posted anywhere? I have found some for other bars. Wine lists from any restaurants?

5. Any thoughts on potential high waves in the western Mediterranean? DW is a little prone to seasickness.

6. How is access to shade up near the pools? A little strange to ask, I know, but a couple in our party are very sensitive to sun and would like to be in shade if possible.

7. Is it easier to get specialty coffee at Park Café or Café Promenade? We have Deluxe Beverage package so want to stay away from the standalone Starbucks.

Thanks in advance. We have other questions that are probably better suited for asking after the ship has been in operation for a couple of months.

Mark

We're sailing from Rome on 10/4 and my travel agent checked on that. She said check-is between 2:30 and 6:30.