Horta, Ponta Delgada, in the Azores

cruiseluv

Make sure you're not stopping on a Sunday. Everything literally stops and/or is closed. We were lucky to find ONE little sidewalk kiosk that sold post cards......I was suprised there were no little cafes, restaurants, taverns where we could get a beer or glass of wine. Nope!

I have only been to Ponta Delgada. We went into town and found a cab to drive us to the Blue/Green lake (Lagoa das Sete Cidades) show us around and bring us back. There is a quaint town at the lake. There were 4 of us, and we simply talked to a cab driver and worked a very reasonable deal for him to take us up and back with time in town to look around. If a sunny day, one side is green and one side is blue. It might be something worth looking into.

We stopped at both places last year on the Navigator. From Ponte Delgada, we took the Regent tour to the Blue/Green lake mentioned above; beautiful views of the island on this tour. In the afternoon, we walked around Ponte Delgada; it is a very pretty town.

In Horta, we dud the walk from Capelinhos to Varadouro (Regent excursion); recommendable if you enjoy walking. Horta itself is much smaller than Ponte Delgada, so you should definitely book a tour.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the Azores very much. One couple decided they wanted to go back for an extended vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stopped at Ponte Delgada on Cunard's Queen Victoria transatlantic crossing from Southampton to Cape Canaveral. Of course, we managed to do it when the first winter hurricane formed in the North Atlantic since 1934. Ponte Delgada was in the cross hairs. We left early and skirted it, but it was a very rough ride due to the swells.

If it is raining, skip the ride to the lakes. You won't be able to see anything. We have friend that just visited on a sunny day. It was a world of difference. There really isn't much else to do. Mostly poor rural, depressed areas. Bad wine and bad cheese.

The City is small enough for you to walk up from the Quay. It all seemed like a sleepy backwater. We got back on the ship and went to tea. We feel no need to return.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, we have now booked the cruise and are looking forward to it! Sheila , will look into those excursions.

Ceilknits,

We have done several crossings on Regent, as well as in other lines. As a matter of fact, our last crossing was on this ship, the Explorer, but it was East to West. My recollection is that for the most part the crossings have been smooth. I've experienced more rough waters in a Caribbean cruise! I love those sea days, no excursions to rush to, there's always something going on on the ship. The Explorer is lovely, we have been on it twice. Hope you'll join us! If you do, please check the Roll Call and say hi!

We stopped at Ponte Delgada on Cunard's Queen Victoria transatlantic crossing from Southampton to Cape Canaveral. Of course, we managed to do it when the first winter hurricane formed in the North Atlantic since 1934. Ponte Delgada was in the cross hairs. We left early and skirted it, but it was a very rough ride due to the swells.

If it is raining, skip the ride to the lakes. You won't be able to see anything. We have friend that just visited on a sunny day. It was a world of difference. There really isn't much else to do. Mostly poor rural, depressed areas. Bad wine and bad cheese.

The City is small enough for you to walk up from the Quay. It all seemed like a sleepy backwater. We got back on the ship and went to tea. We feel no need to return.

We did a tour with another cruise line which included a wine and cheese tasting at a hotel in the town. Both the cheeses and the wines were excellent (if you like french-style runny, smelly cheeses). Ponta Delgada was probably the cleanest place we have ever visited.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Considering a Transatlantic on Explorer next March ( Miami to Lisbon) ,which stops at these two islands in the Azores. Has anybody taken a similar cruise? Is this archipelago worth a visit? Thanks for any comments.

BTW. We are on that cruise. I assume you are referring to March 25, 2019 on the Explorer.

Sheila