4/12 - 5 day cruise-first timers!

edhenry

Hi, I've been checking out these boards to help us decide if SeaDream is for us. I've gotten tons of information and I thank you all for that. My husband and I are in our mid to late 50's and have only cruised on large ships. We've enjoyed each cruise, three of which were with our kids. This time around, we needed a short getaway. Kids are adults now, but one has mild developmental disabilities and is at home. We almost brought her, but our older daughter will be here for her, so we can get away alone a few days. I know, this is too much info. I will get to the point.

1- Will we be too old for this cruise? It seems a lot of people are in their 30's and 40's.

2 Can we expect lots of kids on the sailing? It starts on Easter Sunday and I checked a lot of school schedules and quite a few have that week off. I am looking forward to meeting lovely couples, not too many kids, however lovely they may be.

3 -We haven't sailed on Seabourn, Silverseas or any luxury cruise lines. It seems most of the people on this board have a much more extensive and expensive travel history than we do. Might we feel like outsiders? We've had more trips to Disneyworld than any other single location, though that would NOT be our choice without having a family along!! We are intelligent, well educated, informal types and interesting (I think), so perhaps this is a silly concern.

4- Here is my current biggest concern-I booked flights that arrive in St. Thomas at about 1 pm on the day of the cruise! Since it is April and we are flying from Newark in the morning, I decided not to fly in a day earlier. I prefer not to leave my daughter the extra day. Now I am having palpitations over this decision. Will the captain ever hold the ship a little while to accommodate guests delayed by flights? Our trip insurance only covers us if the flight is more than 6 hours late, at which point according to the schedule, SD I will have departed for St. John.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Hope to hear from some of you experienced SeaDreamers. Thanks!

Hi, I've been checking out these boards to help us decide if SeaDream is for us. I've gotten tons of information and I thank you all for that. My husband and I are in our mid to late 50's and have only cruised on large ships. We've enjoyed each cruise, three of which were with our kids. This time around, we needed a short getaway. Kids are adults now, but one has mild developmental disabilities and is at home. We almost brought her, but our older daughter will be here for her, so we can get away alone a few days. I know, this is too much info. I will get to the point.

Welcome to SD and this happy little corner of CC:p

1- Will we be too old for this cruise? It seems a lot of people are in their 30's and 40's.

Age is a state of mind ... especially on SD. There are folks of all ages but all are young at heart!

No need to worry about being too old!

2 Can we expect lots of kids on the sailing? It starts on Easter Sunday and I checked a lot of school schedules and quite a few have that week off. I am looking forward to meeting lovely couples, not too many kids, however lovely they may be.

Since it is a short cruise and during many U.S. school breaks you may have some children/teens on board.

You can always call SD reservations and ask about the number of children and teens on board.

3 -We haven't sailed on Seabourn, Silverseas or any luxury cruise lines. It seems most of the people on this board have a much more extensive and expensive travel history than we do. Might we feel like outsiders? We've had more trips to Disneyworld than any other single location, though that would NOT be our choice without having a family along!! We are intelligent, well educated, informal types and interesting (I think), so perhaps this is a silly concern.

As you can tell from my User ID we spend A LOT of time at Disney with and without our DD:D

You will not feel like an outsider at all ... One of the great things that we have found on all of our SD cruises is that people are very down to earth. People aren't passing out business cards or trying to impress each other like we found on another luxury line:rolleyes:

4- Here is my current biggest concern-I booked flights that arrive in St. Thomas at about 1 pm on the day of the cruise! Since it is April and we are flying from Newark in the morning, I decided not to fly in a day earlier. I prefer not to leave my daughter the extra day. Now I am having palpitations over this decision. Will the captain ever hold the ship a little while to accommodate guests delayed by flights? Our trip insurance only covers us if the flight is more than 6 hours late, at which point according to the schedule, SD I will have departed for St. John.

I am a BIG believer in flying in the day before but certainly understand your situation. Can you move your flight up to an earlier departure?

If you can't ... know that you are just a ferry ride away from STT to STJ. Actually, when we have sailed out of STT to STJ on SD we didn't leave the dock until the next morning as it is a very short cruise.

The captain does have the discretion in terms of leaving a port ... so I wouldn't really worry.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Hope to hear from some of you experienced SeaDreamers. Thanks!

No need to apologize for the length of your post or the amount of questions. Most of us who hang out here enjoy talking about SD and our SD experiences:D

Take a deep breath and relax. You are going to have a wonderful time!!

Thanks DisneyJen. We have had some great times at Disneyworld, in fact, it is still on our short list for a family trip this summer. Our kids are all available for a short time window and we love to take those few opportunities to be all togetner. Disney has never disappointed us as there is truly something for everyone. But we really enjoy cruising too and are looking forward to the short time we can eke out for this trip. Friends of ours recommended the SeaDream and they are discerning travelers, so we know things will be top notch. I don't even think I will mind being without a balcony on a small ship the way I might on a large one and I kind of like cozy small cabins.

I did find out that so far, there are no kids booked, nor large groups, though that could change.

I don't think I can change the flights without a large fee and I figured we could always make our way to catch the ship in St John. I'll try not to even think of that scenario! We arrived the same day for our first cruise and had a pretty long delay on our flight. As they were de-icing the plane for a second time, I became quite nervous about missing the ship and vowed always to arrive the day before any subsequent cruises. This is the first time I have broken that vow.

Thanks again for your advice!

DJ, as usual, is right. We have enjoyed meeting people from their 20s to their 90s! SD passengers are mostly young at heart whatever the cronological age. You did the right thing to check with SD about kids/large groups. It has been well documented in many of the reviews as to what happens in those circumstances. (My review "SDI March 20-27 review" a bit down on page 9 of these posts is exactly the time frame you are considering). I can assure you you will not be "looked down upon" because this is your first experience away from the big ships. We all had our first time. Mostly, SD attracts well travelled, outgoing people who are comfortable with themselves and their companions (FT will bring up some notable exceptions) and are mostly very welcoming. I also strongly recommend traveling a day early. St. Thomas airport is a ZOO! If something can go wrong, it will at STT. Relax, enjoy a totally different experience and remember, you asked for info, now you are bound by law (SeaDream law) to give us a review when you land back with a thud in the real world.

It helps us make it between voyages.

All the best,

Jim.

Thanks DisneyJen. We have had some great times at Disneyworld, in fact, it is still on our short list for a family trip this summer. Our kids are all available for a short time window and we love to take those few opportunities to be all togetner. Disney has never disappointed us as there is truly something for everyone. But we really enjoy cruising too and are looking forward to the short time we can eke out for this trip. Friends of ours recommended the SeaDream and they are discerning travelers, so we know things will be top notch. I don't even think I will mind being without a balcony on a small ship the way I might on a large one and I kind of like cozy small cabins.

I did find out that so far, there are no kids booked, nor large groups, though that could change.

I don't think I can change the flights without a large fee and I figured we could always make our way to catch the ship in St John. I'll try not to even think of that scenario! We arrived the same day for our first cruise and had a pretty long delay on our flight. As they were de-icing the plane for a second time, I became quite nervous about missing the ship and vowed always to arrive the day before any subsequent cruises. This is the first time I have broken that vow.

Thanks again for your advice!

You're welcome!

I agree that Disney has something for everyone and is always enjoyable.

Don't fret about the flight ... unless you are like me and need something to obsess about:p

DJ, as usual, is right. ...

Now if you could just get DJ's DH and our DD to realize this fact:D

Wow, I didn't realize St. Thomas was a particularly bad airport! I am the sort to fret, so I probably will. On the other hand, I think that the odds are with us on this (watch - there will be a freak snowstorm this year on Easter Sunday!)

I will be happy to post a review of our trip on this board. In the meantime I will continue to be around here educating myself and trying to make some internet friends!

Wow, I didn't realize St. Thomas was a particularly bad airport! I am the sort to fret, so I probably will. On the other hand, I think that the odds are with us on this (watch - there will be a freak snowstorm this year on Easter Sunday!)

I will be happy to post a review of our trip on this board. In the meantime I will continue to be around here educating myself and trying to make some internet friends!

I don't mind flying into STT as much as I mind flying out of STT.

We definitely look forward to a trip report after your return!

Haha, if you get to the dock and the ship is gone just tell the taxi driver to take you on to Red Hook, a 20 minute drive. Then hop on the STJ ferry for a 20 minute ride to StJ. Call the ship while in the cab or ferry and I'm sure they'll send a tender for you. I believe the tender comes in at the docks a couple of hundred yards to the left of where the ferry comes in. I hope your luggage has wheels :D

Hello All

We're first time cruisers on SeaDream as well for the Apr 12 from STT. From reading the boards, I feel like we know enough about everything not to feel like complete newbies now, at least.

Anyway...both of us are mid 30's and ready for a nice break...we are also flying in from Charlotte and get in at 1:00 PM on day of departure. Very much hoping the flight goes as scheduled, but I imagine even an hour or 2 late will be plenty of time.

Can't wait to see what the whole SeaDream experience is about...

John & Carey

Hello All

We're first time cruisers on SeaDream as well for the Apr 12 from STT. From reading the boards, I feel like we know enough about everything not to feel like complete newbies now, at least.

Anyway...both of us are mid 30's and ready for a nice break...we are also flying in from Charlotte and get in at 1:00 PM on day of departure. Very much hoping the flight goes as scheduled, but I imagine even an hour or 2 late will be plenty of time.

Can't wait to see what the whole SeaDream experience is about...

John & Carey

Welcome aboard and to the boards John & Carey:D

We have taken a direct flight from CLT to STT before and it USUALLY runs on time ... although last year when we flew from CLT to SJU in early March we ran into some freak weather here in NC.

Be that as it may ...

I am sure you will have a wonderful SD experience!

• 1 month later...

Hi Edhenry&johnoj,

I just booked my 1st SeaDream on this date. I'm going to arrive a day early, I hate worrying about the "Airlines" and on a Holiday weekend Atlanta is a real ZOO.

I'll be traveling solo this trip, and I've been on smal ships before but they were Cruise West and Lindblad Expedition type cruises nothing like SD.

I have expeirienced upscale cruises on Regent and Crystal , but I think this will be something different.

See you on the ship,

Martini Cruiser

y'all will have such a wonderful time, even if the airports are zoos (usually the problems when returning on a Sunday, not as bad when you are just picking up your luggage and heading to the ship) that your only negative comment will be - why did I only book a 5 day cruise, its just not long enough on SD.

Safe travels, smooth sailing and post details of all your fun.

FT

y'all will have such a wonderful time, even if the airports are zoos (usually the problems when returning on a Sunday, not as bad when you are just picking up your luggage and heading to the ship) that your only negative comment will be - why did I only book a 5 day cruise, its just not long enough on SD.

Safe travels, smooth sailing and post details of all your fun.

FT

Well, for us the 5 day works perfectly in terms of time spent away from family. Just couldn't pull off any longer. Also, SD is very expensive, even with the pretty deep discount. I can't quite get my head around spending thousands more for just the two of us. Maybe this trip will get us hooked though and I will get off my butt and get a job (nah, don't really want to do that.)

Well, for us the 5 day works perfectly in terms of time spent away from family. Just couldn't pull off any longer. Also, SD is very expensive, even with the pretty deep discount. I can't quite get my head around spending thousands more for just the two of us. Maybe this trip will get us hooked though and I will get off my butt and get a job (nah, don't really want to do that.)

Be careful edhenry ... SD came become addictive:p

I never thought I would see the day that my DH (DJ's DH) would entertain a 9-night cruise let alone a crossing (which is 11 nights). Neither one of us were ready to leave after nine nights last Sunday.:eek:

While the cost may seem high at first blush ... once you realize all it includes and experience the incredible food and service ... well let's just say we have found it to be a good value for us (mind you everyone's experience and mileage may vary).

I know I will be interested in reading and hearing your and other first-timer's impressions.:D

We work to afford our vacations . . . .of course now with this economy, we'll be working until we drop, so might as well spend it all before we go . . . looks like a lot of it will be on SD:D

Two more first timers for SD here. We are coming in on Sunday from ATL and arrive at 1:45, and really aren't too concerned - fully expect to be on board mid-afternoon, and guess the ferry is always a back up.

We are celebrating our 10 year anniversary, in our mid 40's, and travel fairly regulary. Enjoy the shorter getaways, 5 days is actually about as long as we usually take. What attracted us to SD from various reviews is the relaxed atmoshpere combined with upscale service and dining. We certainly hope the experience lives up to all the literature we've been reading.

Our biggest question is what to do at each port. Since an excursion a day is not realistic or desired, would appriciate any pointers or "insider" tips on any of the ports:

St Johns, Anguilla, St. Barts, Jost Van Dyke.

Looking forward to a great vacation.

Two more first timers for SD here. We are coming in on Sunday from ATL and arrive at 1:45, and really aren't too concerned - fully expect to be on board mid-afternoon, and guess the ferry is always a back up.

We are celebrating our 10 year anniversary, in our mid 40's, and travel fairly regulary. Enjoy the shorter getaways, 5 days is actually about as long as we usually take. What attracted us to SD from various reviews is the relaxed atmoshpere combined with upscale service and dining. We certainly hope the experience lives up to all the literature we've been reading.

Our biggest question is what to do at each port. Since an excursion a day is not realistic or desired, would appriciate any pointers or "insider" tips on any of the ports:

St. Johns, Anguilla, St. Barts, Jost Van Dyke.

In St. John, you could take a taxi over to Caneel Bay Resort (not far) and have a wonderful buffet brunch, starts at 11:00AM. Absolutely the most beautiful outside buffet with EVERYTHING you can think of while overlooking the fabulous beach. Bring your bathing suits and you can enjoy the beach as well while you are there. This is a famous resort worth seeing.

In St. John, you could take a taxi over to Caneel Bay Resort (not far) and have a wonderful buffet brunch, starts at 11:00AM. Absolutely the most beautiful outside buffet with EVERYTHING you can think of while overlooking the fabulous beach. Bring your bathing suits and you can enjoy the beach as well while you are there. This is a famous resort worth seeing.

I have gained at least 5 lbs already just thinking about the food on the cruise! I've vowed not to eat much while off the ship, though I think a meal in St. Barts might be worthwhile. Does anyone have recommendations?

Also, when visiting islands, what is the best way to carry things off the ship like bathings suits, towels, passport, etc? I really don't want to schlep a beach bag because we will want to walk around, go on a guided hike if possible, shop, whatever. I was thinking of having my husband carry a backpack kind of like a pack mule! That way I can take a small little purse on a long strap. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

St Johns, Anguilla, St. Barts, Jost Van Dyke.

On St. John you can take a taxi over to Trunk Bay for snorkeling along the underwater trail. This is best done either early or later in the day as there is an influx of mega ship passengers between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Another option is to take taxi over to Hawksnest Beach which is wonderful for chilling out ... there are bathroom and changing facilities but no food.

If you are really adventuresome you can rent a car and drive over to Coral Bay. There are several car companies in downtown Cruz Bay. Your CAD will be happy to arrange this for you.

On Anguilla it is all about the beach. Head on over to Shoal Bay or the CuisnArt Resort.

Where are you scheduled to be in Jost ... White Bay or Great Harbor? Either are wonderful although I prefer White Bay for the Soggy Dollar Bar ... home of the Painkiller. I suspect this will be you champagne and caviar splash day. You can taxi back and forth although there isn't a whole lot on Jost other than beaches and bars.

St. Barts ... there are others who are better versed on this island than I am although we have been there four times in the last four years:p

Shell Beach is within walking distance of the tenders and is supposed to have good snorkeling. Shopping is incredible in Gustavia. We have rented a car and driven around the island which is great fun. Again your CAD can make arrangements for the car. Make sure to check out the approach to the airport.

Congrats on 10 years!!

Our best advise is to relax and enjoy the yacht ... you will be spoiled!

I have gained at least 5 lbs already just thinking about the food on the cruise! I've vowed not to eat much while off the ship, though I think a meal in St. Barts might be worthwhile. Does anyone have recommendations?

Also, when visiting islands, what is the best way to carry things off the ship like bathings suits, towels, passport, etc? I really don't want to schlep a beach bag because we will want to walk around, go on a guided hike if possible, shop, whatever. I was thinking of having my husband carry a backpack kind of like a pack mule! That way I can take a small little purse on a long strap. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

You don't have to worry about your passports as they will stay on the yacht with the concierge. You will need your room key/ID which I ususally give DJ's DH to hold for me.

When we do get off the yacht to go on island we wear our bathing suits under our street clothes. The only place where I felt compelled to dress was St. Barts ... otherwise I was fine in a nice cover up and flip flops.

Are you looking for fine dining or a cheeseburger in paradise in St. Barts?

I think a backpack is probably best although we usually only do the beach for the Caviar and Champagne splash (meaning we rarely get off the yacht).

On Anguilla it is all about the beach. Head on over to Shoal Bay or the CuisnArt Resort.

Are you looking for fine dining or a cheeseburger in paradise in St. Barts?

I think a backpack is probably best although we usually only do the beach for the Caviar and Champagne splash (meaning we rarely get off the yacht).

Hi DJ- I have been reading your advice, observations, reviews, etc for so long that I have to keep reminding myself you won't be sailing with us. I wish you were! Congratulations on the big anniversary. The photos look terrific and I'm sure it was all the more wonderful to celebrate on SD with friends. Anyway, I think we might stay on the ship in Anguilla. We vacationed there years ago and loved it, but I'm not a huge beach person and am very fair skinned, so we probably will not seek out beaches too much. I do love the beautiful scenery and the whole ambiance of the Caribbean. The Anguilla vacation was cool though and it was one of the few vacations we ever took without the kids. But I digress, I meant to ask if one can arrange to spend part of the day at a resort like CuisinArt? If not, I think it will be a fine day to just chill on deck.

Having never been to St. Barths, I know we will want to take a look and I certainly I will want to shop. But I have heard such great things about the food that I am looking for a restaurant recommendation. Something around or in Gustavia, and a place with a view would be perfect!

Lastly, thanks for the thumbs up on the backpack; we are pressing into service one of our daughter's old ones. Kids...they can really be useful sometimes. And, truth be told, I am really going to miss them just a little on this trip (will miss the dogs too-I'm pathetic)

Thanks again for all the help. The countdown has begun.

Hi DJ- I have been reading your advice, observations, reviews, etc for so long that I have to keep reminding myself you won't be sailing with us. I wish you were! Congratulations on the big anniversary. The photos look terrific and I'm sure it was all the more wonderful to celebrate on SD with friends. Anyway, I think we might stay on the ship in Anguilla. We vacationed there years ago and loved it, but I'm not a huge beach person and am very fair skinned, so we probably will not seek out beaches too much. I do love the beautiful scenery and the whole ambiance of the Caribbean. The Anguilla vacation was cool though and it was one of the few vacations we ever took without the kids. But I digress, I meant to ask if one can arrange to spend part of the day at a resort like CuisinArt? If not, I think it will be a fine day to just chill on deck.

Having never been to St. Barths, I know we will want to take a look and I certainly I will want to shop. But I have heard such great things about the food that I am looking for a restaurant recommendation. Something around or in Gustavia, and a place with a view would be perfect!

Lastly, thanks for the thumbs up on the backpack; we are pressing into service one of our daughter's old ones. Kids...they can really be useful sometimes. And, truth be told, I am really going to miss them just a little on this trip (will miss the dogs too-I'm pathetic)

Thanks again for all the help. The countdown has begun.

I wish I were sailing with you as well:) Glad to be able to share what we have learned on our trips on SD and in the Caribbean (although I suspect I probably drove some people a little nuts when we were sailing in the Sir Frances Drake Channel and I was pointing out islands, beaches, resorts and villas:o)

I know in the past SD has arranged for a cooking class/demonstration at CuisinArt. You may want to check with the CAD when you board.

The Carl Gustav Restaurant has a glorious view of the restaurant and I hear the food is excellent albeit a bit pricey. Again, your CAD should have some excellent recommendations.

I chuckled over the comment about the kids and the dogs as it rang true with me:p

I know you are going to have a fabulous time!!

11 days to St Thomas, 12 to SD1, but who's counting. ME!

See those of you sailing on the 12th, hope the SD1 lives up to expectations, which after reading this board ar HIGH!

Martini Cruiser

Hope that your countdown goes quickly:p

I always suggest that folks temper their expectations as everyone's mileage does vary. Regardless, I am sure you will have a great time!

Archived