Laundry

babs135

Yes, you read the title correct.

I'm wondering whether the day we transit the Canal is the best day to do my laundry? Obviously I don't want to miss anything but there must be a point in the transit when it quietens down? If so, can anyone give me an idea when that would be?

First 'silly' question of 2108 I suspect :D

I think the first silly question of the new year happened just after midnight when someone said, "don't you think it is time to go home?" Just kidding!;) While there are certainly quiet times during the transit that do not command so much of your attention, there really is no way to predict what might be of interest to you and worth a look. While just about everyone on the ship will be jockeying for the best spot to see the ship enter the first lock, the crowd will thin out a bit as the day goes by. However, I don't think I would want to be below for any length of time doing the wash. To answer your question, probably the quietest time of the transit is when you cross Gatun Lake. At this point whoever is providing the narration will likely take a break as there are less specific items to point out. To me this is a time when you can just soak up the scenery... here you are crossing a 160 square mile lake that is dotted with islands that used to be hill tops all covered with old growth rain forest. Except for some shore based aids to navigation and a few communication towers it is all for the most part as it was over a 100 years ago. Crossing Gatun Lake is also the best time to see opposing ship traffic glide by.

Depending on the direction of your transit the Gatun Lake portion begins after you clear Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side (southbound) or after you passed through the two Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut (northbound). The crossing usually takes about 2.5 hours.

I think I would take my chances on a sea day... however I'm sure you will be met with some like minded folks!

Depends what you consider "quieting down". There will be narration almost continuously, but it will be quieter between the locks. But the Gaillard Cut is still interesting and heavily narrated.

You would be spending a fair amount of effort running from the laundry room to the railing.

Most likely, you will have a sea day, or early port departure before and after the Canal day. Maybe that would be the better day. Or pay to have your laundry done.

Well, when you're IN the lake, not much is happening. And, it's really HOT so being in the AC isn't a bad thing! But...there will be lots of "down time" throughout the cruise....

I'm with you regarding doing laundry...it's not like you're beating your clothes on a rock! You can do a load now and again with little interruption to your day!

Good question! I don’t do laundry on a cruise as I don’t

Ike the idea of waiting for a machine. But this would probably be a low use day. I agree with cb at sea, do it when in the lake. Throw in a wash load, go take in some views and then go back to dry. Should be fine....like others said there is lots of down time and if you aren’t spending the day in the laurndry room, you’ll be fine.