St. Maarten recommendation?

RCmommy

Hi, we are a group of 5 visiting the island on a cruise in March. Our friend is disabled and uses a scooter. He has difficulty climbing in and out of vehicles and a mini van is his best option. We also need the van to store his scooter, it is the foldable kind.

We just want to tour around and visit the usual popular spots. Does anyone have a company they can suggest? We have contacted a few and have not had responses, or one did respond but only had a Lincoln Navigator which is too high off the ground.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, we are a group of 5 visiting the island on a cruise in March. Our friend is disabled and uses a scooter. He has difficulty climbing in and out of vehicles and a mini van is his best option. We also need the van to store his scooter, it is the foldable kind.

We just want to tour around and visit the usual popular spots. Does anyone have a company they can suggest? We have contacted a few and have not had responses, or one did respond but only had a Lincoln Navigator which is too high off the ground.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out this link http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-maarten-accessible-shore-excursions also check out check the port review on the same site http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-maarten-disabled-access

Thank you. We did check this company out. Unfortunately, we find it to be on the high side of pricing. Especially considering our friend does not require a "wheelchair" accessible van. He can climb in and out of a minivan. Many tours just offer the bigger style vans that seat more passengers. I am not sure what they might be called. He would not be able to step up into one of those. So, we just need to verify the company we choose will show up with the mini van that day.

Thank you. We did check this company out. Unfortunately, we find it to be on the high side of pricing. Especially considering our friend does not require a "wheelchair" accessible van. He can climb in and out of a minivan. Many tours just offer the bigger style vans that seat more passengers. I am not sure what they might be called. He would not be able to step up into one of those. So, we just need to verify the company we choose will show up with the mini van that day.

Have you considered just negotiating with a taxi driver upon arriving at the port ? Done that several times at various ports prior to having a mobility scooter and found it to be the better option as I could tailor the day to my specific interests.

The last time we were in St. Maartin we found an accessible taxi van at the taxi stand.

He had a couple of different tours he offered with different lengths and prices. We

went on a very nice tour in a 12 passenger van with a lift. The only thing we found to

hold true on all the Caribbean islands we visited was no t one of the vans had tie-downs.

Yes, we will just go with a taxi at the port if one is available. We have made the same arrangements with a taxi service at each of our ports, only prior to arrival to ensure we have transpo on arrival.

I think we may have found a driver with Amigo Tours, but we are waiting on vehicle confirmation.

What cruise line are you with? We were in St Maarten in January 2017 and our ship (Celebrity) had a great accessible

tour on a mini-bus with a wheelchair/scooter lift.

Additionally, we have discovered to always check with your cruise line's accessible department and ask if there are any accessible tours being offered by your ship. They are often not included in the usual list of shore excursions.

What cruise line are you with? We were in St Maarten in January 2017 and our ship (Celebrity) had a great accessible

tour on a mini-bus with a wheelchair/scooter lift.

Additionally, we have discovered to always check with your cruise line's accessible department and ask if there are any accessible tours being offered by your ship. They are often not included in the usual list of shore excursions.

We are sailing with Royal Caribbean. I'll check further into it. There wasn't much of anything listed under the usual excursions for that port.

We are sailing with Royal Caribbean. I'll check further into it. There wasn't much of anything listed under the usual excursions for that port.

Regardless of cruise line you need to always contact the Special Needs Department (Sometimes referrred to at the Access Dept depending on the cruise line) to inquire about any lift accessible excursions. These are not posted on the cruise line's website as if available it has to be costed seperately and you need to fill out a form with details of the scooter or wheelchair. Know that if any are available it comes a costly price as it's comnsidered a private tour.

If by chance an excursion posted on the website states it can accomdate a wheelchair it only means that it can accomodate a folding wheelchair provided the person can transfer to the vehicle including having to walk/updown some steps to get onto the bus.

Edited by xxoocruiser