Montreal YUL airport departure

shipgeeks

What’s your citizenship and where are you flying? What day of the week? Checking bags?

If you’re a USA citizen flying to the US and don’t have global entry on a weekday flying in economy with bags, you’ll need the ship to be cleared on time and to get off right away to not be stressed.

Should be ok, but don’t dilly dally and you will need things to go smoothly. With rush hour traffic and weekday airport crowds to check bags and get through customs and preclear immigration it could be a bit close. Find out what time your airline cuts off bag check in for transborder flights to get a sense.

US passports, flying to Toronto and on to Pittsburgh, on a Saturday in May.

When I tried to book it through the cruiseline's air, the default time came up as 11am, so I guessed they considered that acceptable, but I figure it doesn't hurt to get another opinion.

We will probably book with Air Canada, with a check through bag each, and no GE.

US passports, flying to Toronto and on to Pittsburgh, on a Saturday in May.

When I tried to book it through the cruiseline's air, the default time came up as 11am, so I guessed they considered that acceptable, but I figure it doesn't hurt to get another opinion.

We will probably book with Air Canada, with a check through bag each, and no GE.

The fact you are flying to YYZ first makes this possible, as you will be going through US pre-clearance there rather than YUL. Although it's still a bit tight for my taste.

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time for your connection because of the pre-clearance.

Everyone has their own tolerance for this stuff but I would be fine with that. As Twickenham notes you’ll effectively be a domestic Canada passenger on the first leg so should be fine on a Saturday morning unless your ship is significantly delayed. As long as your connection in YYZ is legal and you’re on one ticket you should be protected and you’re not going very far and there should be alternatives from YYZ even if you misconnect.

I tend to be around middle of the road on how much I’m willing to risk these sorts of things and there are some who would perhaps be a little nervous. But with the port reasonably close to the airport and no rush hour traffic on a weekend I personally would be fine with it.

One random thing to think about that is impossible to know now is Montreal road construction. Twice in the past year the majority of routes out of Montreal heading west towards the airport have been closed as they do major work on the overpasses and highway. A drive that should have taken me 20 minutes took over an hour.

I agree with the others that you should be OK, but check out your options and backup plan just in case.

There are worse places than Montreal to spend a few hours. :p

Even the Montreal airport is a nice place to wonder around. Once you get past security if wander over towards the wing that has the international departures there are a lot of neat food and bar outlets. Very European feel.