Cozumel/Progresso Mayan ruins & limited mobility?

Buckimion

I use a scooter for distance and have poor balance but my wife would really like to see some Mayan ruins on an upcoming trip to Cozumel & Progresso. Since Carnival doesn't seem to have any HA tours available and that scooter unfriendly bus ride off the Progresso pier seems to be a show stopper, are there any suggestions for what might work? Sending her on her own isn't going to happen as she refuses to leave my side.

I have been to a few Mayan Ruin sites. The grounds vary but are a bit of a challenge to the small Scooters. I don't think I would want to use my SmartScoot ibn this situation. So I guess it depends on your scooter skill/confidence level. I would expect very challenging travel but not impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

We were unable to do an excursion last summer in Cozumel. My husband has to have his scooter and the bus was not "scooter-friendly" so therefore we couldn't go that route. I suppose if you are brave enough to try for an accessible cab that might be an option. Accessible Caribbean (google that) offers tours in most Caribbean ports. They are NOT inexpensive. A tour such as what you are looking for is $410 for two people. Hope that helps!

In Cozumel, I've been to San Gervasio twice. The first time I was still playing able bodied and managed to see what I felt was a lot. The second time I was limited to using my scooter along with my traveling companion and her scooter. Both my companion and I are rather adventerous and will do things the average person would not. Regardless, the changes at San Gervasio were definitely not wheelchair friendly. That was a few years ago. I do know that Cozumel is constantly up-grading tourist sites and making them accessible. My suggestion would be to write to San Gervasio or Cozumel Parks and ask if it is now wheelchair accessible. You can get a taxi at the ship. I believe that the taxis still charge an additional $5 for mobile devices, which is very reasonable.

If San Gervasio is not yet accessible, Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park is. Visiting Chankanaab is a nice trip. We wandered around and saw the daily show.

Cozumel has “cleaned” up down town. I was amazed and thoroughly enjoyed myself during my visits earlier this year.

Progresso is a different issue. The pier is five miles long and I understand the trolley from the ship to land is not accessible. However, I do know that others have found a way to get to land for a booked tour to see the ruins. There is some info under “Ports of Call” so I suggest you do a search under “Progresso” for “scooters”; also try both options (“show threads” and “show posts”.) There are a couple tour companies referenced as potential sources.

In my opinion, Accessible Caribbean is very expensive. I can certainly justify increased cost factor when using special transportation equipment but when their walking tours are 3 1/2 times more than a conventional walking tour, that is hard to justify.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Since things didn't seem to be working out for me to take her myself, I did manage to convince her to take a ship's tour by herself on the assurance (yn) that they don't leave her behind. She's looking forward to the city tour & Dzboythatsalotofletters.

• 9 months later...

joaquin_rivero@hotmail.com

This is a friendly tour guide in Cozumel, We (my daughter and I) LOVE him. He is safe, friendly, and is a terrific tour guide. He drives an air-conditioned van and he will take You and Your Wife to see the ruins! You will truly enjoy the trip, even if You stay in the van! Enjoy Your Cruise!!

joaquin_rivero@hotmail.com

This is a friendly tour guide in Cozumel, We (my daughter and I) LOVE him. He is safe, friendly, and is a terrific tour guide. He drives an air-conditioned van and he will take You and Your Wife to see the ruins! You will truly enjoy the trip, even if You stay in the van! Enjoy Your Cruise!!

Wonderful link. Thank you, but do you realize this question was asked over a year ago? It looks like the OP has already sailed! I'm sure someone will be interested though. Thank you:halo::halo: