Best Car Hire option for HNL pickup POA Port drop off?

stitchcreek

Taxi's are pricey in Ouahu. If you don't mind paying a few dollars more for a reliable car service, knowledgable and friendly driver I would Reccomend ABCLimo Service http://abclimosvc.com/apo.htm They will even include fresh deluxe Lei's for less than $10. We slurged a few weeks ago and got the Limo pickup from the airport and it was well worth it. After being stuck on the plane and in airports for over 18 hours, having a driver meet you in the Airport with a sign and beautiful Lei's was a welcome sight. My DW likes to travel with lot's of stuff so it was alos nice to have him take care of the bags for us. Great service and not much more than a Taxi!

Is this related to you Alamo car rental question in another post? (does "car hire" = "car rental"?)

If so, as I said in the other post. All the major car rental locations will offer a free shuttle after you drop off your car to the ship.... Check directly with the company to confirm whether they do it from the airport or Waikiki.

Aloha,

John

Thanks for the advice, should have made it clear that we defo need to hire a car to get us around the rest of the island, so taxi isn't an option for us (unless essential to get from the car drop off point to the cruise terminal!)

If the question is getting from the car rental location at the airport to the cruise ship terminal?

We just got off our cruise this past Saturday. We rented a car from Hertz for three days prior to our cruise. After we returned our car, Hertz has a free shuttle to the cruise ship terminal. I would check and see if your rental is providing the same service.

BTW, we rented a full size at hertz for $26.99 per day. We used Avis on all the islands (intermediate) for $26.99 per day and all had shuttles to and from the airport rental locations.

Thanks all.

Jack, which Hertz location had the shuttle?

Hertz at the airport. Pick up the shuttle at the airport to Hertz. When you return the car they'll shuttle you free to pier 2 right at the front door to the cruise terminal.

Hertz at the airport. Pick up the shuttle at the airport to Hertz. When you return the car they'll shuttle you free to pier 2 right at the front door to the cruise terminal.

Sounds good - but you need to get a shuttle to the car rental location as well? Is it still on airport but just in a far flung spot?

I'm getting the impression the Alamo on airport location isn't actually on airport at all!

Hertz, Avis, Budget, and a couple of others are right at the airport. Once yet get off the plane, it's a VERY short shuttle bus ride. You can actually see the buildings across the parking lot, but there isn't a convenient way to walk there.

Returning the car to the airport locations is very easy, The signage is good. I like to get on board ships early, so if it were me, I'd plan on dropping the car back around 1030am.

Aloha,

John

Sounds good - but you need to get a shuttle to the car rental location as well? Is it still on airport but just in a far flung spot?

I'm getting the impression the Alamo on airport location isn't actually on airport at all!

The car rental desks are right in the area of the baggage claim (Hertz was closed and directed us to the rental lot via shuttle). You rent your car and walk outside and catch a shuttle for a short 5 minute ride to the rental car lot. All is very smooth.........

BTW, you have to carry your luggage out to the curb. Carts are available if needed. The shuttle drive will load and unload your luggage on the shuttle.

Edited by jack300s

Just a follow up..From the time we got our luggage off the baggage claim, got on the shuttle to the car rental locatiion was maybe 10 mintues total. 10-15 mintues at the car rental desk and we were in our car and on our way. They really have the process nailed down...

Thanks again all for the advice.

Having looked at all the companies mentioned, Alamo still seems to be working out cheapest - does anyone know where this rental location is if not on site? Is it another shuttle jobby or further afield?

Alamo has a airport location. I'm curious about the rate you got at alamo. We used a discount site and got a rate of $26.99 per day for a full size at hertz. Also, with this site you can pay for your rental in advance if you choose or, just reserve your car with no credit card information needed until you arrive at the site.

We used the same site for rentals on all the islands and got the same $26.99 rate. Total charges with taxes and fees was $39.02.

Here's another tip on the car rental companies...We did some research on required deposits from the rental companies. We were renting cars in five different locations and didn't want to tie up $1000's on our credit card.

Examples:

Hertz charges a mininum of $200, which is credited back when you return the car.

Thrifty charges a mininum of $350

Avis only charges the amount of the rental and no deposit. So we used Avis on the other islands.

We didn't check the other rental car companies deposit requirements.

Hope this info is useful to you...

Jack

Maybe I missed it, but is there a car rental location at the harbor? Cruising NCL and we want to rent a car to cruise Honolulu before heading to the airport.:confused:

They had rental car shuttles from the pier to the airport car rental companies.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

we will be arriving in honolulu by ship after a trans pacific, if we pre book a car rental from the airport will they shuttle us from the port ( on arrival) to the airport to pick up the rental?

are the rental companies waiting for customers when the ships come in or would we need to pre arrange this?