Quantum of the seas dining.

smtcan

We have added a short cruise on Quantum to our land tour in China. We are not expecting a regular cruise, we will just think of it as part of our China experience. (We have been to China before, so are aware of the differences). What I want to know is how dining is organized. Is there an anytime option? Our TA seems to know nothing about cruising and has booked us for early dining which would not be our choice. He did however do a great job on the land portion. We are diamond, thanks to our Elite + on Celebrity.

Sheila

Yes, there is an anytime dining, it's called My Time Dining on Royal.

Ask your TA to switch you, and if they cannot, then get on the wait list. If that does not work, then try as soon as you get onboard.

Quantum has a number of unique things including what RCI calls Cosmopolitan dining. I imagine it's like MTD with a local flavor.

That was the kind of information I was looking for. Can you give me more details?

Thanks to the other respondents.

We have added a short cruise on Quantum to our land tour in China. We are not expecting a regular cruise, we will just think of it as part of our China experience. (We have been to China before, so are aware of the differences). What I want to know is how dining is organized. Is there an anytime option? Our TA seems to know nothing about cruising and has booked us for early dining which would not be our choice. He did however do a great job on the land portion. We are diamond, thanks to our Elite + on Celebrity.

Sheila

You may ask me any question you will like. I plan on doing a review when I get a little organized. Just got off the Quantum.

We booked a JR Spa Suite, but was upgraded to the Owners Suite. Apparently, we were one of the highest tier level giving us first upgrade opportunity. We only ate in the Coastal Kitchen and Specialty restaurants. As far as I know, there was either early or late seating, and no MTD. I also believe it was open seating and they had places reserved only for International guest and they did single you out to let you know. Menu's are slightly different. Avoid Windjammer on any day the ship docks. Just don't do it. Most of the Chinese are on a "tour" with a group. Those groups all have their own excursion planned out, and they all want to eat and leave at the same time. So if the ship starts letting people off at 8:30, than 8:30 is a great time to eat.

I seriously recommend spending a little more money, and eating in the specialty restaurants on this ship. They are mostly only half full at any time, and they will also sit you at any time you want.

We had absolutely no issues on the ship, and we also spent a week in China with no issues. Most of the time, we were treated like royalty on the ship and I think it was the most "polite" and "easy going" RCCL trip ever.

Thanks for the reply. I will look forward to reading your review. You were fortunate to get such a nice upgrade, I doubt if we will be so lucky. Regarding specialty restaurants, we do not often eat in them, but if, as you say, they are not crowded, we can make that decision on board. We usually cruise with Celebrity or Princess and have never had to prebook dining or entertainment. We tend to decide each day what we feel like doing.

We have travelled in China and Japan, including three weeks in Shanghai when husband was unexpectedly taken off a cruise to a hospital. We returned a couple of years ago to do a land tour to see the things we missed on that trip. This time we are filling in some spots we didn't have time to see on that trip and the cruise will take us to Nagasaki and Kochi in Japan. We didn't get to either of those places on our cruise and independent post cruise travel last autumn.

• 1 month later...

What we did when we got on the ship was go to the main dining room and make reservations for the restaurants. There are the four of them, each one has a set menu for that restaurant plus a Chinese classic fare menu. So as an example one of the main dining rooms Chic will have the same menu every night (the Chinese fare menu will change each night). So to get a different menu you have to select on of the other main dining rooms like the Grande or American Icon.

• 1 month later...
What we did when we got on the ship was go to the main dining room and make reservations for the restaurants. There are the four of them, each one has a set menu for that restaurant plus a Chinese classic fare menu. So as an example one of the main dining rooms Chic will have the same menu every night (the Chinese fare menu will change each night). So to get a different menu you have to select on of the other main dining rooms like the Grande or American Icon.

Hi, we are on QoS departing Shanghai on June 26th. We were unable to book any of the complementary restaurants either online or by calling RCI. We could only book the paid restaurants. RCI advised ys to just get on board and work it out then. Does this sound like good advice? We have an 11:45am boarding slot for a 4:45pm departure.

Just concerned with there being everything booked out like the main dining room and being left only with Windjammer. I detest buffet's!

Am I worrying too much?

mant thanks

Andrew

Am I worrying too much?

Probably. Keep checking the planner. Get the Royal iQ app and show up earlier (like 11AM) than your suggested check in time. Then as soon as you can connect to the ship's WiFi, make reservations via the app. Follow up at the venues if needed.

Thanks Biker19 that's great advice.

I have the app aleady so will do just as you suggest. We have a great balcony cabin on the bump already but if the upgrade fairy blesses us on check-in all the better.

Six days to go to the cruise, flying tomorrow!

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Biker19 that's great advice.

I have the app aleady so will do just as you suggest. We have a great balcony cabin on the bump already but if the upgrade fairy blesses us on check-in all the better.

Six days to go to the cruise, flying tomorrow!

Andrew

Hey Andrew, I am cruising Quantum on August 31 and am having the same issue regarding not being able to book the complimentary dining rooms online. Did RCL completely do away with picking which complimentary restaurant you want to dine in each night and go back to an assigned table/time?

Also, it's not letting me see any entertainment options to book nightly entertainment.

How did everything work when you cruised in June?

Thanks!!

Brad

Hi Brad, on QoS out of Shanghai you cannot book any complementary dining until you board. We booked The Grand and every other night we ate in the Pay Extra restaurants.

They will offer you a package on boarding for $110 which covers 4x dine in any pay for restaurants - take it. The complimentary restaurant food was very average and the menus are a cut down version of the usual Royal Caribbean standard offering.

You also can't book entertainment until boarded.

Send me a pm if you want more detail

Also if you are going to Fukuoka I have a detailed self guided day tour which worked really well.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

on QoS out of Shanghai you cannot book any complementary dining until you board. We booked The Grand and every other night we ate in the Pay Extra restaurants.

Did the Royal iQ app work for any of these bookings?

Hi Brad, on QoS out of Shanghai you cannot book any complementary dining until you board. We booked The Grand and every other night we ate in the Pay Extra restaurants.

They will offer you a package on boarding for $110 which covers 4x dine in any pay for restaurants - take it. The complimentary restaurant food was very average and the menus are a cut down version of the usual Royal Caribbean standard offering.

Send me a pm if you want more detail

Also if you are going to Fukuoka I have a detailed self guided day tour which worked really well.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this info! Very helpful. I sent a friend request, but can't figure out how to DM. Maybe after the friend request is accepted it will have the DM option? Would love to get the Fukuoka day tour itin from ya! Thanks!!

• 4 months later...