The Bar Has Been Set - Short Review of Azamara Journey Bali to Sydney 21st January 18

tazza_0712

Hi everyone,

I will be submitting this as a review shortly, but I thought I would share it in the forum as well as it was such a great source of information for me when I was researching and planning our cruise.

___

Choosing the cruise:

Having travelled with several larger cruise lines, we decided it was time to try a more personalised and intimate cruise on Azamara. We selected the 18 night Bali to Sydney itinerary, one of the longer (non B2B) itineraries offered by the company.

A big reason for choosing Azamara came down to the Spa Suite. We had seen pictures and read reviews of the suite before we even knew much about the company, and we knew they were in hot demand and would often sell out first. Upon returning home from an RCI cruise, we decided to see what was available on Azamara and spotted this cruise, with a Spa Suite available. We jumped on it, paid our deposit and the just-less-than-a-year countdown began.

Getting there:

With the cruise beginning in Bali, we had to decide where to stay pre-cruise. In the end, we chose to spend our time in Singapore with a three night stay (which was sensational). We flew into Bali on the morning of the cruise, knowing the risks associated with flying in to meet a cruise on the day of departure. All went smoothly, and we landed on time in Denpasar airport and met our pre-booked transfer.

We were driven to Benoa, where we caught our first glimpse of Azamara Journey on a rather grey and wet, humid, Indonesian day. We had no time to attach our printed luggage tags, but these were added to our suitcases at the terminal in no time. We watched our bags be whisked away, and went into the terminal.

Understandably, the terminal is quite basic. It was hot and humid, with no air conditioning. We waited in the Suite check in line for what seemed like ten to fifteen minutes before it was our turn to complete due process. I had already completed the online check in, but it still took a while for the young girl behind the desk to get things going. It did appear that the check in agents weren't the most experienced people, but they were friendly and in a short amount of time we received our passes and were directed to a security scan, and finally onto the ship.

It became immediately apparent that Azamara values its onboard service greatly, when we saw a line of ship's staff (entertainers, spa/salon, officers) lined up on the gangway, each with an umbrella in hand to create a covered walkway for a drier embarkation. It was a magnificent visual, and was also greatly appreciated.

Onboard:

Walking onto the ship, we were offered sparkling wine (too sweet, but a nice gesture) and immediately made our way to the Discoveries Bar where we booked in all of our speciality restaurant reservations for the cruise (having read that useful tip on CruiseCritic).

We made our way up to Windows Cafe for some shelter from the rain, and were a little overwhelmed with the volume of people in the relatively small space. We reminded ourselves that embarkation day is always zoo-like, whilst everyone is waiting for their cabins to become available, and this was obviously compounded by the rain. We enjoyed a little food and then made our way to the pool bar for a beverage. By this time, the rain had stopped and we made our way on the outer decks to explore. It didn't take long to get a feel for the ship, and to realise just how small she is!

We wound up in the living room, where we enjoyed another cocktail. Shortly after, we heard the magic words that the staterooms were ready. We jostled downstairs one level to Deck 9, and excitedly pulled open the "Spa Suite Guest Only" door. With even more excitement, we made our way over to Suite 9000 and finally, we were on holidays!

The suite is absolutely stunning. We inspected every detail, every light switch, every cupboard and wardrobe - enjoying every moment and taking it all in. The bathroom is incredible. The size of it alone is enough to make your jaw drop, but then it all comes back to that shower, that tub, and that view. It is the main reason one would even choose a Spa Suite, and we knew that we had made the right choice!

A bottle of champagne was chilling on ice, so we got to work on that without much delay. Angelo, our butler, came by to introduce himself and explain the suite in further detail and our suitcases arrived shortly thereafter. We unpacked everything, enjoying the copious amounts of storage and afterwards, we made our way around the ship to explore a little more, realising that it wouldn't take long to cover it all.

It was soon time for muster, and we made our way down to the Cabaret Lounge. Another wow-moment occurred here. We walked in and announced our stateroom number, to be told that there were chairs reserved just for us. Cruising in suites is standard for us, and we have never experienced this on any of the main stream cruise lines.

Muster over, we made our way back to the suite (via the pool bar) and straight into that enormous tub! From here, we watched and enjoyed our sail away from Bali - certainly a departure we won't ever forget.

Dinner in The Patio finished us off, the day had taken its toll and it was off to rest, to get ready for the rest of the cruise.

Dining:

We dined in all of the venues on a few occasions, and utilised room service about three times. All of the venues are beautiful in their own way, with Aqualina taking the award for best dressed.

Dinner on the first night was casual, we decided to try The Patio. It was really quite great. I enjoyed the atmosphere that Azamara has created here. Using table cloths, electronic candles and dim lighting has really resulted in a lovely evening dining venue. The food was another matter. It certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't as described. This would become a bit of a theme for the cruise. Example, I ordered curried chicken skewers (or wrap, I can't recall exactly what it was). The chicken was cooked well, but far from having any semblance of curry or spice, it was barely seasoned. If it were simply called "grilled chicken", it would have been nice enough with a sprinkle of salt.

Overall though, we had no major complaints with food across the cruise. Things were cooked very well. My major issue is that seasoning was off, and that items described as having a particular flavour profile didn't always deliver. This should be looked at. Rename the dishes or work on their descriptions so as not to over-promise and under-deliver - or ideally, rework the dish so it tastes as it should.

We enjoyed a few of the themed nights in Windows, Turkish night was delicious. Again, some things were better than others but I must state that this was the best cruise ship buffet I have ever experienced. No, not everything was perfect, but it was markedly better than some of their more main-line competitors.

We dined in Discoveries only for breakfast and lunch, never making it there for dinner, as the line up was always too long when we would go down there for a table. Breakfast and lunch were quite good. Certainly, the variety of items available on the menu was on par with speciality restaurants on more main line cruise ships.

Breakfast was great. Options like a BLT breakfast salad with avocado, eggs Benedict with asparagus and congee were items that I had not before encountered on a cruise for breakfast. The energy shot of orange/ginger juice was spicy and provided a great kick in the morning - along with espresso.

Prime C/Aqualina:

What terrific food we enjoyed at these venues. Fillet Mignon in Prime C is just fantastic. Flavour and tenderness was just spectacular. The Chicken Lollipops are ridiculously good, whilst some of the sides lacked on the side of execution. Zucchini Pancakes seemed under-cooked the first time we ordered them, but upon trying them for a second time and final time at the end of the cruise, I believe the issue is with the amount of zucchini in the pancake itself. It was wet and stodgy, and not enjoyable.

Starter of Prosciutto wrapped Scallops in Aqualina was undeniably delicious. Though I found some of the pasta-oriented main courses to be lacking, mostly in the way that they were not really pasta dishes. Pasta was more a side than the main item on the plate, and I found that odd for an Italian restaurant. I tried the famous Dover Sole, with the lemon butter caper sauce (of course) and then had to have it again...and again. It was delicious. One evening, there was a pumpkin gnocchi which was the Chef's special for the day, and it was perfect.

Entertainment:

I will preface this by saying that we didn't make it to every show. Some of that was not our fault. Enjoying late dinners at sea means being locked into (at the speciality restaurants) dinner at 8pm or 8:30pm. This meant we would miss the 8:15pm show and would often miss the 9:45pm show, especially when service was not especially quick during dinner.

The shows we did catch were ok. We left the voices show about half way through (we were situated at the back, so it was a quick escape). We did manage to catch an Australian comedian brought on board, and though we enjoyed his show, it didn't land with some of the international guests and the word on board was that he was "let go", and I understand that a show scheduled to occur a few days after his debut was cancelled.

I now know that Azamara has changed their entertainment, and is bringing on new acts and production shows, so it appears that they are working on a few of these items. I do hope they can adjust the timing of the shows. I feel that an early show of 7pm would alleviate the late-dinner issue we experienced but overall it didn't make or break the cruise for us.

Service:

We knew to expect great service onboard, and on the whole, we were not disappointed. The best way I can explain this is to say that on main stream cruise lines, great service can often be the exception. On Azamara, mediocre service was definitely the exception. Expect warm smiles and greetings from most of the crew. Officers engage and often asked how our day ashore was when we returned from port. It was certainly a pleasant atmosphere.

There were some missteps, which I did raise in my post-cruise survey. This includes being invited to the Bridge Tour, and a member of our group having to phone Guest Relations after we waited for approximately 20 minutes with no one from Azamara showing. A further 10-15 minute wait resulted in the delayed tour going ahead.

We were then invited to a tour of the Galley, and met at the prescribed time with three other guests (5 of us in total then) in Discoveries Bar. 20 minutes passed quickly which we filled with chatter, and at that point we all decided to call it quits and move on with our day. A call to Guest Relations later that evening resulted in a fairly officious apology, without any real acknowledgement of the time we wasted crafting our day around the tour.

The third invitation to a tour of the Engine Control Room arrived the next day, and we decided not to go.

In our onboard cruise survey, I raised a point regarding the lack of atmosphere on the pool deck. It was pure silence during the day, it was whisper quiet (save for the hum-hum-hum of the ship) and provided zero ambience. Certainly, I did not (and do not) want the blaring of a big screen tv, or the ridiculously loud tunes of a DJ. However, this is the first cruise I have been on where there was simply no sound, except for the occasional sneeze and cough from fellow guests. I believe that some background music, very relaxed/lounge-like music, would be a welcome addition to the pool deck during the day.

After submitting the survey, I was in the pool when to my surprise, music began to play from the deck speakers. It was quiet, purely background, but it added so much more ambience to the area and really made me feel like I was cruising.

Later that day, I noticed a message waiting on my stateroom phone, and it was Tony the CD, calling to let us know that they had received our feedback and hoped we enjoyed the addition of some relaxed and quiet music on the pool deck! How terrific. I was taken aback by the recognition and acknowledgement of our feedback and the fact that something was changed while we were onboard.

I will say that the music was not exactly consistently played, I think they should work on this for the future both on the pool deck and in the Living Room. where often times the musician would finish his set and we would be left in complete silence.

Nights in Private Places:

Having reserved a Spa Suite, we had included in our room rate, one Nights in Private Places. We had reserved this early on, but had a few false starts due to weather. Finally, we were scheduled to go ahead during our departure in Melbourne.

Overall, it was a lovely experience. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that I would not pay separately for the experience. Being so forward, wind is definitely an issue. Private Places is also a term I would use loosely, as we were told that the blinds from the Living Room would be lowered, and this wasn't the case until we called Guest Relations, and well after dinner had finished.

The wind limited the opportunity for any outdoor sleeping under the stars, and we made our way back to the suite to get a proper night's rest. The dinner component was enjoyable, with a huge variety of appetisers and mains to choose from. We sampled everything, with the proteins being cooked on a hot rock in front of us (on our table) by our steward. The service was very personalised, and after dinner, our steward left us to our own devices and to enjoy the space. I think we chose the best night of the cruise to sample Nights in Private Places, departing Melbourne was spectacular, as night fell we watched the departure and enjoyed it immensely (minus the wind).

Conclusion:

Azamara offers an amazing onboard product, and service onboard is simply better than we have experienced on other cruise lines. It's clear that they think outside of the box, and provide a premium experience without a lot of the stuffiness one might expect. The ship is in great condition, interiors are gorgeous with terrific furnishings that lend a modern, sophisticated feel with the comforts of home. Azamara Journey does not feel her age. I note that being in a Spa Suite helped with this impression, as the room is only two years old.

I say with conviction that we will sail with Azamara again, and we look forward to the next time and though we hope to see a few changes between now and then, one hopes that their attention to service and to their guest satisfaction never changes.

I will be adding some photos shortly!

Thanks for your review. I have found on several cruise lines that the Executive Chef makes a huge difference in the spicing and taste of the [supposedly] uniform menus. We were just on Quest and found the food generally nicely spiced -- although on Indian Night in the buffet the Vindaloo did not burn the roof of my mouth [as it should -- but I have given up on mass-oriented venues cooking food that spicy].

Did you go to the AzAmazing Evening?

Thanks for your great review. I think you’re quite right that the big difference between Azamara and other lines is the exceptional and friendly service. You just feel that everyone onboard wants you to have the very best experience possible.

I would, however, disagree with you on one point - background music doesn’t suit everyone. We actually like the peace and quiet and generally choose to sit on the sundeck on deck 11 because it is more peaceful up there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely great review Tara, much appreciate you taking the time to review so comprehensively. Will be sailing on Journey in March for the first time. Looking forward very much to experiencing the Azamara difference. I have cruised a few times on Oceania, so keen to compare both cruiselines, which seem to compete for the same market. Is Discoveries the MDR?

Cheers V

Thanks for your review. I have found on several cruise lines that the Executive Chef makes a huge difference in the spicing and taste of the [supposedly] uniform menus. We were just on Quest and found the food generally nicely spiced -- although on Indian Night in the buffet the Vindaloo did not burn the roof of my mouth [as it should -- but I have given up on mass-oriented venues cooking food that spicy].

Did you go to the AzAmazing Evening?

Thanks for that information regarding food and the influence of the EC. That certainly makes a lot of sense. It’s a pet peeve of mine when something is described a certain way and it just doesn’t live up to expectation. I realise we all have different tastes, but curry is curry and there was absolutely none on this dish at all.

Overall though the food was really quite good indeed.

We decided to skip the Azamazing evening. We had signed up, but upon reading more about it onboard we decided to give it a pass. It was being held on Australia Day and we chose to do our own thing in town and then enjoy the ship in it’s quieter state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your great review. I think you’re quite right that the big difference between Azamara and other lines is the exceptional and friendly service. You just feel that everyone onboard wants you to have the very best experience possible.

I would, however, disagree with you on one point - background music doesn’t suit everyone. We actually like the peace and quiet and generally choose to sit on the sundeck on deck 11 because it is more peaceful up there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One can definitely feel the service difference aboard Azamara and it was one of the best parts of the cruise experience! Certainly it’s going to be hard to beat that on other cruise lines.

The deck music is obviously not to everyone’s taste, but frankly, sitting in total silence is not relaxing for me at all. Background music is just that, it should create an ambience, one that is conducive to relaxation (for me anyway, I know we’re all different) and I do feel it’s more suited to summer trips than winter trips.

Absolutely great review Tara, much appreciate you taking the time to review so comprehensively. Will be sailing on Journey in March for the first time. Looking forward very much to experiencing the Azamara difference. I have cruised a few times on Oceania, so keen to compare both cruiselines, which seem to compete for the same market. Is Discoveries the MDR?

Cheers V

Thank you! I’m glad to contribute in any way that I can if it may help someone with their cruise research and planning.

Discovers is the MDR, yes.

Please, no canned music or juvenile games on the pool deck. Leave it a place of calm and relaxation. This is not Carnival.

Oh come now, who doesn’t love a good juvenile game now and again? Surely there’s a whisper of childish enthusiasm in even the most white-haired among us?

I’ve not cruised with Carnival so I’ll defer to your obvious experience sailing with them.

I do take your point however. It begins with some quiet, slow-tempo background music on the pool deck and then next it’s hairy chest this and sexy man that.

All in good fun of course.

Unlike others, I know you are joking about the hairy chest competitions ....LOL.

However please no "background music" by the pool. Much as I love music I would hate it by the pool, even at background level. Reminds me of the constant noise on Celebrity.

Anyone who wants to listen to music there could surely bring their own music device and headphones and leave the rest of us to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Thanks for your review and you’ve got me hankering to try a Spa Suite although I’d have to sell one of my children to do so...oh dear, which one...I like them both...probably the one in college since he’s the most expensive :) Oh well maybe one day!

However please no "background music" by the pool. Much as I love music I would hate it by the pool, even at background level. Reminds me of the constant noise on Celebrity.

Anyone who wants to listen to music there could surely bring their own music device and headphones and leave the rest of us to enjoy the peace and quiet.

I agree. Please, no background music Tony!

Phil

I agree. Please, no background music Tony!

Phil

Absolutely, please let guests just add their own choice of music using earpieces. Tony I would have been sending you a feedback card saying switch it off please :)

Snarky comments make you appear...well...snarky. I've never cruised Carnival but it would suit someone who seeks fun and games by the pool.

It’s not limited to just Carnival either. This is Celebrity's idea of "Modern Luxury" on a quiet port day by the pool if you decide to stay on the ship and relax. Celebrity Reflection when I was on in 2016. Same thing on Celebrity Constellation at Christmas. I truly hate it!

Phil

Of course I return snark with snark, Marinaro. I find it most entertaining! If you can dish it, you must be able to take it.

As for the music, I was aware it would likely be the biggest issue for my fellow Azamara cruise critic members. Headphones would work indeed, except for the in the pool itself.

So I know how a lot of you feel about pool side music, how about The Living Room? Between music sets, that area was silent throughout the early evening as well and was completely lacklustre. As soon as the musician would stop playing - dead silence. Library or Living Room, everyone?

Phil, the video you shared is interesting but is not even a close representation of what was played on the Journey after my comments. It was barely audible, but it did make a difference.

PLEASE, music on the pool deck. Not Celebrity’s rendition, and no big screen tv, and no juvenile games as Marinaro put it, but something. So those of us not contemplating life’s questions may enjoy our cruise holiday all the same.

The spa suite was truly fantastic. I don’t know if I’d sell a child for it, but I would seriously contemplate the ramifications - maybe if it was a long cruise?

Also, I meant to raise this earlier but it slipped my mind.

It was indicated on these boards last year, that the Spa Suite benefits of Nights in Private Places and the $200 Spa credit were being replaced with the $300pp suite onboard credit. Bonnie confirmed this would be the case as well from 2018 onwards.

I’m happy to report that this was not the case. We received our NIPP/SpaOBC as well as the $300pp SuiteOBC.

b02f29d8843c7f75f7d6a785d61f1ff8.jpg

This is the corridor leading out towards the pool deck, with the Spa Suite door open. Pre cruise, I had wondered what it all looked like, so I made sure to snap a photo in case anyone else was interested. The recessed doorframe area on the right is the entrance to 9002.

That door was most usually kept closed, and the suite area itself was very quiet.

Only once did a passing crew member try to stop us from entering the corridor, before realising we were staying in one of the Spa Suites and apologising.

It was a super convenient location! Straight out to the pool bar and deck (sans music until day 4 or so), easy crossing over to Windows/The Patio/Sunset Bar. Straight up one deck to The Living Room, and then across for Aqualina/Prime C, and straight down to deck 5 via lift (I swear I took the stairs...) for everything else.

I couldn’t fault the location, except for the increased sensation of movement from the high and forward position. Honestly, I would trade the comfort of mid ship for the space, the serenity and the location of the Spa Suite any day. The movement was also something we quickly got used to, even in the high wind/high swell seas off the WA coast.