Quantum Class Seapass Card question

We are soon off on Ovation of the Seas - does anyone know if the Seapass cards for this class of ship are hole punched to hang off a lanyard? Someone said on another forum that it can't be done on these newer type cards?

Thanks in advance :)

They do not come hole punched. BTW I´ve never seen the seapasscard coming hole punched on any ship.

However the difference on Ovation and the other quantum class ships is that the Seapass cards are RFID chipped cards. You would exactly know where to put the hole to not destroy the chip or antenna embedded in the card. Your best bet would be to use a lanyard with a clear sleeve to put the card in. You won´t have to take it out to open your door as the doors are RFID operated.

So you think they can't be hole punched? I have a plastic sleeve but know most people won't. Thanks.

If you know exactly where to put the hole without destroying the embedded electronics you can hole punch it. Chances are high to destroy the card when hole punching it. I´m saying it might be doable but certainly not advisable unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

If you know exactly where to put the hole without destroying the embedded electronics you can hole punch it. Chances are high to destroy the card when hole punching it. I´m saying it might be doable but certainly not advisable unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

I was meaning getting it hole punched at Customer Services - they would know how to do this? I'm thinking of all the people getting on our ship with standard lanyards that might be no good.

I was meaning getting it hole punched at Customer Services - they would know how to do this? I'm thinking of all the people getting on our ship with standard lanyards that might be no good.

I highly doubt guest service will do it. These cards are a piece of electronic that shouldn´t be fiddled with and they are more expensive than the "old" seapass cards.

Maybe I need to make it more clear, even though there is probably a possibility to punch them without destroying them - These cards are not meant to be punched.

cruiserke;55247386']We just cruised the Ovation last week and the Seapasses all came with a hole pre-punched so they could be attached to a clip lanyard. No need to punch them yourself.

Can I ask - was the card left on your cabin door or given to you on checkin?

On Anthem, cards are not pre-hole punched. My seapass card was in my cabin. You use the printed setsail pass as ID or a charge mechanism until you get the card. Also, you can purchase a WOW band for $5 that can be used in lieu of the seapass card.

PS. Bring a old or something that resembles a card to place in the power outlet to maintain some light, air condition or heat

On Anthem, cards are not pre-hole punched. My seapass card was in my cabin. You use the printed setsail pass as ID or a charge mechanism until you get the card. Also, you can purchase a WOW band for $5 that can be used in lieu of the seapass card.

PS. Bring a old or something that resembles a card to place in the power outlet to maintain some light, air condition or heat

Even a folded piece of paper or cardboard will work for that purpose...I usually take a piece of the "junkmail" they insert into my Compass for that...:)

The next day my cabin steward threw it out, but left a plastic card made for that purpose in its place...:cool:

Can I ask - was the card left on your cabin door or given to you on checkin?

The card is in a sealed envelope in the small notice board/room number beside your door.

But as your room may not be ready, you may not be able to access your card if boarding early.

You need to hang onto your setsail paper that you use to check in as it’s needed to actually board the ship after checking in. You use the setsail paper for drinks etc when you board until you can access your card. Setsail paper has a barcode on it.

Just returned from Ovation a week ago and yes the card was prepunched.

Enjoy your cruise. We thought Joff, the CD was terrific.

Guest maddycat
We have brought our own hole punch in the past. We punch the card on one end. Never had a problem with the card not working. Just make sure you punch the hole far enough away from the magnetic strip so it can still be easily swiped.

The seapass cards on the quantum class ship don't have a magnetic strip. As others have mentioned they are RFID chipped. They have a chip and antenna embedded in the card.

The seapass cards on the quantum class ship don't have a magnetic strip. As others have mentioned they are RFID chipped. They have a chip and antenna embedded in the card.

If you hold up the card against a powerful light, you can see the 'antenna' loop, and avoid punching through it.....

Over 50,000 college students on my campus, and they all manage to have their RFID chipped ID without needing to punch holes for a lanyard. Why is it so hard on a cruise ship, to use a plastic sleeve like the college students?

My previous job going back a decade, I had a chipped card also, and needed to hold it against a sensor, several times a day, (just like going to a bar, but not as much fun), and never had an issue with a plastic sleeve.

Just buy a lanyard that works, or keep it in your pocket.