Anthem planning - activity reservation, app, dinning time questions

will88

Hi, our first cruise on RCL will be Anthem end of March to Bahamas. Tried to read up on it and the board is very helpful. But we still have quite some questions (might have missed some threads, sorry if it's repeated question). Thanks in advance!

1. Seems that you can only reserve escape room, northstar, surfing and ripcord once you're on the ship with an app. Just to confirm, the app is Royal iQ right? I just installed it and there's nothing to see in the app. I guess it only displays activities when you're connected to royal-wifi?

2. I understand that the activities like ripcord, northstar etc. might fill up quick, so any tip for them other than board the ship at the earliest?

3. We set arrival appointment to be 11:30-12 pm (the earliest available when we checked in online), when should we arrive at the pier (I assume parking the car and get to checkin counter takes some time)? Seems that it doesn't hurt if we arrive a bit earlier anyhow.

4. What's the usual schedule for roller skating, bumper cars etc.? When we booked our cabins online (Priceline), we could only choose MTD or dining at 8 pm. On forum some said there's an earlier dining time too. Which dining time slot is better for activities? We reserved shows and they don't conflict with 8 pm dining, I guess this question is mostly for seaplex and 270 activities.

5. Would group private lesson for surfing worth it for first timers, or 1st timers would have fun anyhow?

Thanks so much!

Get to the port early. Check in at Cape Liberty might be even more efficient than Port Everglades.

Check your cruise planner at least once a day to see if spots are available for Ifly and north star. If not, make a beeline to the Ifly desk as soon as you board (or as soon as it is open).

North star is kinda cool. Ifly is awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

iFly and Northstar keep opening and closing for June Anthem, so would expect the same for yours. If not, you can book onboard.

We normally get to the pier around 10:30 and are on a ship between 11 and 12 (depends on when they get everyone off). Ignore the reservation time.

The IQ app isn't going to work until you are on the ship and connected to the ship wifi network. Might show some schedule information in advance, but don't count on it.

Dining really depends on you. Shows are scheduled around the traditional 6 and 8 dining times, so you can go to early show if you have late dining or late show if you have early. We take Mytime and get the earliest time open. Then go to the dining room when you get on the ship. For example last cruise earliest online time was 6 but dining room opened at 5:15. Since we like eating with the same waiters the hostess moved us to 5:15 since dining room often is full by 6. They will encourage reservations but you don't have to make them and can just show up whenever you are hungry. Between about 6:30 and 7 you may have a wait.

Seaplex is a multipurpose area, so activities in there will vary. You might want to search for Patters for the cruise you are taking to get an idea (9 day Caribbean or 5 day Bermuda, ...) but times can change from cruise to cruise.

Brother in law tried the flowrider just by getting in line and had lots of problems. Then he booked a one hour class and really enjoyed it. Small classes and he learned from others. Now he takes the class each time he cruises to improve and to get more ride time. Private lesson might make sense if you have a small group you want to have exclusive access, but costs quite a bit more.

Above all, don't try to do everything on a first cruise! And don't try to eat everything! Done that, bad idea.

On embarkation day the first bumper car run is at 12 noon. Did this on the Jan 28 cruise - only a few folks were there and I was able to do the first run with no line.

IMO the best tip is to arrive early - 10:30 at the latest. Don't get sidetracked rubbernecking on deck 5 when you board. Go immediately to Deck 15 to sort out your reservations.

There are a couple of places open to make reservations the day you board. Just ask. I think it was Boleros when we boarded last month. No reservations required for bumper cars, just get on line. We love them and rode 2x. Enjoy and relax and be flexible.

I wouldn't suggest the Royal IQ app for making these reservations when you first board because there can be issues with the app. Get there early and get to an open tablet across from where you enter on deck 5, or guest services on 4. There will be workers there to help you if you need help figuring out how to add reservations. On my January cruise, we made iFly reservations after we boarded for just after the muster drill and were the only ones there. Other people came by to check on availability and were told to go to Boleros to make reservations, which seemed weird since they were operational and had openings.

If you can't get a Northstar reservation, just show up and ask to do standby. Many people forget to show up for their reservation. There will be an attendant with a clipboard on the (port?) side of the Northstar bar.

They do a good job of scheduling shows and events to fit well with early or late dining. Don't stress about it, and don't feel like you have to keep to making it to everything you planned ahead of time.

Wow, thanks so much for the very helpful tips and replies everyone!! I'm so glad to have come to the forum and asked the question. I definitely feel less stressed now!

Indeed, since we've cruised Bahama/been to Kennedy Space Center before, so we chose this ship/itinerary mostly because it's one of the latest and coolest ships & we'd like to really enjoy the ship (more than enjoying the ports). Would feel pity if we miss some of the best entertainment on board. We'll follow suggestions to arrive early and try places to reserve and try early activities too.

BTW any recommendation for Nassau/Coco Cay? We've done a beach in Nassau and those submarine tour before, not really into the famous waterpark or aquarium, and we've done Dolphin interaction before too. We love snorkeling and some sightseeing. So I guess Coco Cay would be good snorkeling/beach day, does Nassau have anything definitely worth seeing besides those?

Thanks everyone again, that was so helpful!!