This is Probably why Seaside is skipping Nassau, More will follow

tonynypd

They went to Turks this week.

Instead of Nassau

But they were originally scheduled for Freeport not Nassau. This week and next week is technically shown as a 14 day cruise. I believe Freeport was scheduled during 1st week so not to duplicate ports (other than Miami) for those on the 14 day itinerary.

Two State departments Issue a warning and the following week they skip? My guess is

It has everything to do with it. The cruise lines won't say that, but Jamaica is also bracing for a ban from a few lines due to crime.

Some of the European Countries might have one as well. MSC has mostly European passengers If one of those countries pops a level 1 warning? They ain't going there.

They'll wait a few weeks and see if things get locked down.

I hate the Port anyway. But imagine the liability if that warning is ignored.

Two State departments Issue a warning and the following week they skip? My guess is

It has everything to do with it. The cruise lines won't say that, but Jamaica is also bracing for a ban from a few lines due to crime.

Some of the European Countries might have one as well. MSC has mostly European passengers If one of those countries pops a level 1 warning? They ain't going there.

Tony... Jamaica warning has been for a while...like Mexico has had on the West Coast cruises. . These warnings have been on/off in Mexico and Jamaica for several years.... They ensure appropriate security around piers and excursions....However, doing things on your own is at more risk.

Edited by lcpagejr

What liability? Getting off the ship is entirely up to each passenger.

My guess is there is some sort of scheduling issue.

We didn't get off the boat this time in Nassau. Last time we were there we had a couple situations where I just felt unwanted and one situation where I felt unsafe. This was in broad daylight along the main drag right in front of the cruise port with my six foot five husband standing beside me. Felt friendlier away from the port. I just didn't feel like running the gauntlet to get past the dock surrounds.

And it was nice not having to wait in line for the water slides or for drinks in any of the bars. We were in the Jungle Pool and the whirlpool beside it for about an hour and a half. The only other folks were a couple sitting up by the bar and a family group playing ping pong at the table by the doors. Come to think of it sure keep going to Nassau. Let everyone get off and leave the ship to my spouse and I there next cruise. :)

But they were originally scheduled for Freeport not Nassau. This week and next week is technically shown as a 14 day cruise. I believe Freeport was scheduled during 1st week so not to duplicate ports (other than Miami) for those on the 14 day itinerary.

Disregard the above post.... I was going off of what Nikki reported on Saturday. She stated they substituted Grand Turk for Freeport. However, Nassau was shown on the itinerary for this week

Time will tell, Yeah, You get off at your own risk. The Liability is in the bad press.

It's a business.

But if a State Department issues a warning and you don't let your PAX know and or take them there anyway? Guess what?

I just post them, I don't write them. LOL

I read that RCCL will not go to Falmouth next season for the same reason and they are listed as safer than the Bahamas.

Shame, it will hurt the Island badly if it's not nipped in the bud.

We didn't get off the boat this time in Nassau. Last time we were there we had a couple situations where I just felt unwanted and one situation where I felt unsafe. This was in broad daylight along the main drag right in front of the cruise port with my six foot five husband standing beside me. Felt friendlier away from the port. I just didn't feel like running the gauntlet to get past the dock surrounds.

And it was nice not having to wait in line for the water slides or for drinks in any of the bars. We were in the Jungle Pool and the whirlpool beside it for about an hour and a half. The only other folks were a couple sitting up by the bar and a family group playing ping pong at the table by the doors. Come to think of it sure keep going to Nassau. Let everyone get off and leave the ship to my spouse and I there next cruise. :)

We stayed on the boat as well. It was nice to not have anything scheduled and have a relaxing breakfast followed by some water slides and pool relaxing. We probably saw you at the Jungle pool that day as we were sitting in the port side tub for a while.

We sail in May. I have been to Nassau twice and it isn’t my cup of tea. I really don’t care for it either. I wish these cruise lines would listen to their customers and start changing itenararys! If you want to go to the st Thomas or St Martin your always locked into Nassau. And no one wants to go there!

Those dire warnings are issued frequently. Nothing new. I would not be at all concerned. We went to Nassau on Seaside last month and nothing appeared any different than in previous visits (we have had Nassau as a port of call at least 5 times). We walked around the shopping district, made the hike to Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle, had a very nice lunch in town and made it over to Junkanoo Beach and I was not murdered once. ;p;p

Nassau is a practical port for cruises (its practically in Florida) and has very reasonable port fees.

I think I've gotten approached by vendors as much in Cozumel and St Maarten in Phillipsburg as I have in Nassau and MoBay, yet I rarely hear anyone complain about Coz or St Maarten. Seems the wrath is rachetted up for the Bahamas and Jamaica. I've stayed on both these isles numerous times in various hotels and always had a wonderful experience.

I've found that most local vendors at cruise ports are just trying to make a buck, and a simple, "No mon", "not today", "one love bro" or "no no no, I don't smoke it no more" usually gets me a warm smile in return. If I have an independent tour booked, I'll mention the name and often get directed to where my tour rep is situated. Maybe being a Noo Yawker helps as well, since NYC is so diverse and we have tons of experience encountering all types of people. .

Edited by evandbob