QM2 Arrival in NYC on my 50th Birthday!

Phil50

Evening all,

This is my first post to this excellent forum. My wife and I have never cruised but I love ships (and most forms of transport to be fair!), so when she asked me what I wanted to do for my 50th I said a cruise. I started looking around but have always loved the idea of a Transatlantic crossing, so when I looked at the QM2 schedules and saw that this October it arrives in NYC on the 25th, there was no question as that's my 50th. I can't think of a better way of celebrating it than sailing into NYC on this amazing ship!! (I know it's amazing, as although we haven't sailed on her, we did the "ship visit" last November and were truly blown away by it's splendour. We just can't wait).

We booked this trip almost 2 years in advance, so now I'm getting into serious planning mode as it's now less than 6 months away. (Yes I know that means I'm going to be 50 but it's just a number isn't it?) :D

I'm really just saying hello at the moment, but as the weeks pass I'll probably be asking a few questions.

Something we didn't realise or know about when we booked is that the National Symphony Orchestra are on this trip, so that's a nice bonus! (I'm not exactly into classical music but appreciate it and having seen the Last Night of the Proms on TV I'm quite looking forward to that. Also, although I'm a jeans and t-shirt type of chap, I'm actually looking forward to dressing up and have already bought my dinner suit and a few other bits and pieces more appropriate to my (upcoming) age!!

My BIL and his wife are joining us too - I mentioned it to him when we booked it as I know he is interested in the Titanic and stuff like that, so he jumped at the chance to do this. Our two teenage boys are flying out to meet us in NYC when we arrive (they didn't fancy 7 days at sea/limited internet/gaming!), we'll then spend a few days in NYC and Washington together before (sadly) flying home.

Oh and I'm already planning another cruise next year as I'm convinced my wife will love this trip, and I KNOW I will, so looking at a 7 day Fjords cruise around May/June next year. After the ship visit, I'd love to try the other Queens too.

Anyway, sorry for such a long "hello" post, and thank you all for the brilliant information on here :)

Phil & Vicky

Evening all,

This is my first post to this excellent forum. My wife and I have never cruised but I love ships (and most forms of transport to be fair!), so when she asked me what I wanted to do for my 50th I said a cruise. I started looking around but have always loved the idea of a Transatlantic crossing, so when I looked at the QM2 schedules and saw that this October it arrives in NYC on the 25th, there was no question as that's my 50th. I can't think of a better way of celebrating it than sailing into NYC on this amazing ship!! (I know it's amazing, as although we haven't sailed on her, we did the "ship visit" last November and were truly blown away by it's splendour. We just can't wait).

We booked this trip almost 2 years in advance, so now I'm getting into serious planning mode as it's now less than 6 months away. (Yes I know that means I'm going to be 50 but it's just a number isn't it?) :D

I'm really just saying hello at the moment, but as the weeks pass I'll probably be asking a few questions.

Something we didn't realise or know about when we booked is that the National Symphony Orchestra are on this trip, so that's a nice bonus! (I'm not exactly into classical music but appreciate it and having seen the Last Night of the Proms on TV I'm quite looking forward to that. Also, although I'm a jeans and t-shirt type of chap, I'm actually looking forward to dressing up and have already bought my dinner suit and a few other bits and pieces more appropriate to my (upcoming) age!!

My BIL and his wife are joining us too - I mentioned it to him when we booked it as I know he is interested in the Titanic and stuff like that, so he jumped at the chance to do this. Our two teenage boys are flying out to meet us in NYC when we arrive (they didn't fancy 7 days at sea/limited internet/gaming!), we'll then spend a few days in NYC and Washington together before (sadly) flying home.

Oh and I'm already planning another cruise next year as I'm convinced my wife will love this trip, and I KNOW I will, so looking at a 7 day Fjords cruise around May/June next year. After the ship visit, I'd love to try the other Queens too.

Anyway, sorry for such a long "hello" post, and thank you all for the brilliant information on here :)

Phil & Vicky

A man of obvious discernment! Love how your throwing yourself into this and know you’ll all have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sailing in to NY, what a fantastic way to start your birthday!

I'll also be celebrating a birthday on board this year, and it's a formal night so I'm looking forward to getting my glad rags on.

We really are lucky pups :)

Thanks all. And yes I'd heard that 50 is the new 30 too.....not sure my body did though!

Oh, a question, finally - we are travelling normal (?) class in a Balcony Cabin. Are drinks (non-alcoholic) included with each meal?

Oh, a question, finally - we are travelling normal (?) class in a Balcony Cabin. Are drinks (non-alcoholic) included with each meal?

Nothin' bad about being Britannia Class and dining in the beautiful Britannia Restaurant! There is no charge for coffee, tea, or iced tea in the restaurants (nor for juice at breakfast). There is a charge for soft drinks and specialty coffees. If you are heavy consumers of soft drinks, you may wish to check out the beverage card for them. (I can't offer an opinion on their value as we've never used them.)

Nothin' bad about being Britannia Class and dining in the beautiful Britannia Restaurant! There is no charge for coffee, tea, or iced tea in the restaurants (nor for juice at breakfast). There is a charge for soft drinks and specialty coffees. If you are heavy consumers of soft drinks, you may wish to check out the beverage card for them. (I can't offer an opinion on their value as we've never used them.)

Excellent stuff, thanks Mark :)

Thanks all. And yes I'd heard that 50 is the new 30 too.....not sure my body did though!

Apart from tea and coffee offered after the meal, the only included drink is iced water. Some people prefer bottled water but that's charged for.

Apart from tea and coffee offered after the meal, the only included drink is iced water. Some people prefer bottled water but that's charged for.

Thanks Hattie. Iced water will do nicely, looking forward to the food more than drinks anyway. Would rather enjoy a nice drink at other times. And don't get me started on bottled water in general - biggest rip off ever!!

The Last Night of the Proms with the National Symphony Orchestra was fabulous. When we enjoyed that it was the first year they were on board. They have been featured once a year since then. Cunard did not even advertise their appearance on our side of the pond. We were at the same table with Maestro Anthony Inglis and that's when we found out about it. They do two performances of two concerts. The first one was American music: excellent Broadway music, not that which passes for music these days. The second one, of course, was the Proms.

Anthony Inglis has left the National Symphony and is music director for another orchestra. Perhaps he will return as guest conductor. He was great. His humour had the audience in "stitches" - as well as those of us at his table in the restaurant. Cunard is still showing him as being with the orchestra on that crossing.

• 3 months later...

Sorry about this but it’s a dreaded “roll call” question! There’s a roll call for the round trip crossing, is it best to stick with that even though we are just doing WB, or start a new roll call?

Whilst I’m here I might as well ask a couple of other questions too...(only 9 weeks to go and getting just a little excited!!!)...

1. I’m still a bit confused about mobile phone useage on board. I certainly don’t want to use my phone very much, but maybe a quick catch up with the boys to check the house is still standing once or twice during the week! Will I be able to get any phone or 3G signal for this or will I have to purchase some kind of data plan? Or is there any free WiFi available?

2. Looking at dining, we may dine somewhere else 1 or 2 nights rather than Brittania. Thinking of the Pub, what is the cover charge for this and is it worth it?

3. Do I have to “activate” our onboard spending money at all?

4. We were really looking forward to using the Sauna/Steam room etc after having seen that area on our ship visit, but I’ve only just found out it’s an extra charge! That’s seems a bit naughty by Cunard IMHO. We will pay the extra but I’m not too impressed about it. I can understand paying for treatments but just to relax in that area it seems a bit harsh to charge for it. Can we just book our weekly pass when we board?

5. I also really want to do the ship tour, I believe it’s best to book this the first morning on board, but our first morning isn’t the crossings first morning as it starts in Hamburg 3 days before, so I’m hoping the other guests on board haven’t “reserved all the sunbeds”....if you know what I mean 😉

Same goes for getting tickets for illuminations and also the “Last Night of the Cunard Proms” - which we definitely DO NOT want to miss!

So any tips for making sure we get tickets would be much appreciated thanks.

6. Finally, what is a “rough” estimation of boarding time? We are staying in Southampton the night before so will be there and eager to get on board! I understand we’ll be given an allotted time but I just want to get on as soon as I possibly can.

Thanks all,

Phil.

Hello Phil 50,

please be assured that there is no better place to be on your 50th than Queen Mary 2!

I'll try to respond to some of your questions:

1. The only mobile signal that you may receive during the TA passage is the ship's signal, including data.

If you use that, think about 10-20$ per minute!

The only alternative that you have is sending emails using the ship's Wifi which is also quite expensive and on a minute basis.

There is no free WIFI anywhere.

2. I personally wouldn't want to miss a single dinner in Britannia restaurant!

The pub serves excellent lunches for free and the new steakhouse is opened during lunch, too.

3. During checkin, you will present your Creditcard and that's how your onboard account is being activated.

5. Usually, tickets are only necessary for the Planetarium Shows in Illuminations.

Assuming that the orchestra is playing in Royal Court Theatre, there will be no tickets be necessary. Just walk in early and find your seat.

6. Usually boarding starts at around 11:00 - 12:00 but you will get an assigned embarkation time.

Not following that, you'll much likely contribute to rough embarkation processes at some times.

Have a wonderful trip!

4. We were really looking forward to using the Sauna/Steam room etc after having seen that area on our ship visit, but I’ve only just found out it’s an extra charge! That’s seems a bit naughty by Cunard IMHO. We will pay the extra but I’m not too impressed about it. I can understand paying for treatments but just to relax in that area it seems a bit harsh to charge for it. Can we just book our weekly pass when we board?

You will want to make your way to Canyon Ranch during embarkation day. Ignoring all the other services, a 6 day pass will be US$105 pp. Out of all the ways to spend money on board, daily access to the spa is the one thing we find worth every penny.

Sorry about this but it’s a dreaded “roll call” question! There’s a roll call for the round trip crossing, is it best to stick with that even though we are just doing WB, or start a new roll call?

Whilst I’m here I might as well ask a couple of other questions too...(only 9 weeks to go and getting just a little excited!!!)...

1. I’m still a bit confused about mobile phone useage on board. I certainly don’t want to use my phone very much, but maybe a quick catch up with the boys to check the house is still standing once or twice during the week! Will I be able to get any phone or 3G signal for this or will I have to purchase some kind of data plan? Or is there any free WiFi available?

2. Looking at dining, we may dine somewhere else 1 or 2 nights rather than Brittania. Thinking of the Pub, what is the cover charge for this and is it worth it?

3. Do I have to “activate” our onboard spending money at all?

5. I also really want to do the ship tour, I believe it’s best to book this the first morning on board, but our first morning isn’t the crossings first morning as it starts in Hamburg 3 days before, so I’m hoping the other guests on board haven’t “reserved all the sunbeds”....if you know what I mean 😉

Same goes for getting tickets for illuminations and also the “Last Night of the Cunard Proms” - which we definitely DO NOT want to miss!

So any tips for making sure we get tickets would be much appreciated thanks.

6. Finally, what is a “rough” estimation of boarding time? We are staying in Southampton the night before so will be there and eager to get on board! I understand we’ll be given an allotted time but I just want to get on as soon as I possibly can.

Thanks all,

Phil.

We are also on this cruise we are doing the Roundtrip TA leaving Southampton on the 18th and returning on 1st November. One thing for certain is even though it means getting up very early on the 25th it is worth it to watch the sail in to Manhatten under the bridge and past the Statue of Liberty especially being your 50th it is something you will never forget. We are also staying in Southampton (Chilworth Manor) the night before the cruise and it will be our second roundtrip and also already booked ages ago for same cruise in 2019 but a little later in November. When we did our last cruise it was a jazz theme and Gregory Porter was appearing and to make it fair that people did not go and try and see the show twice tickets were allocated. Not numbered just to allow you entry and then you could sit anywhere.

I'll never forget my first sailing-in Manhattan (and the only one) on QM2.

It was a very cold November morning, probably around 3:00 and the city lights where very far, maybe 50-75 km away still. What stroke me and still does was that I could already hear a lonely church bell from the shore.

A bit more info...

• The Pub may (but probably will not) have dinners - it was an experiment earlier this year.
  • The King's Court buffet is complimentary (and doesn't require evening dress code be followed).
  • Alternate Dining, which is a extra charge ($19?) sit-down restaurant in a section of King's Court and provides extensive menus on rotating themes (Asian, Italian, American Classics, Indian - about 3 nights each, so you'll probably see two of them on your crossing) Make a reservation when aboard.
  • The Veranda. This is the premium alternative option. Again, they're experimenting. Right now, they're mid-way through a "steakhouse" theme which is being offered at a reduced price. Whether they'll return to their previous French-inspired $49 menu, keep the Steakhouse, or do something else is an open question. You can make a reservation in advance online, if you wish (at the standard $49 charge) - you can cancel it onboard if you wish.

Generally, we usually schedule an alternate (if we do one) on an informal evening, but not the first (when we meet our waiters) or the last (when we say goodbye). We also, generally prefer to dine in the dining room for formal/gala evenings as the menu is usually a bit fancier. (especially the final formal night) Since you've got the little Hamburg jaunt on the front end, if you're not sharing a table with others outside your group, the 18th, when it's a first night for a large portion of passengers (and somewhat slow) is a GREAT day to choose.

• Room Service is available as well (complimentary)

#5 Yes, you need to be one of the first handful of passengers at the Excursions when they open at 9 AM the first morning. One person can reserve for two people. It's a bit pricey, but we found it very worthwhile and a decent value (once).

- Mark

Brilliant, thank you all :)

To be honest then, I think as first time Cunarders we'll just stick to the Brittania as it's all new to us anyway. Although I reckon after a couple of days we'll end up skipping some meals (I'm very active and I'm currently training to get myself as fit and lean as possible in anticipation of putting a couple of pounds on!!!). On that note, I'm hoping there's no charge to use the gym!? - I don't really like gyms, but I do a lot of cycling so intend to use the static bikes a little. "Intend" to though ;). A few walks around the deck is probably more realistic.

I'll never forget my first sailing-in Manhattan (and the only one) on QM2.

It was a very cold November morning, probably around 3:00 and the city lights where very far, maybe 50-75 km away still. What stroke me and still does was that I could already hear a lonely church bell from the shore.

That sends shivers up my spine - sounds fantastic. As a regular early riser with my job as a train driver, I'll have no problem getting up at silly o'clock. I always say if I can do it for work I can sure do it for my own enjoyment! I love the early hours, best part of the day for me once I'm up. Plus I want the 25th to last as long as possible as it's going to be a very special day indeed - I couldn't believe my luck when I looked at the schedules and she arrives in NYC on that day!!

I just had quick look on Cunards website to check the Symphony Orchestra are still on it, and the cheapest fare for this crossing now is £10,000!!! So I'm guessing it certainly pays to book early.

That sends shivers up my spine - sounds fantastic. As a regular early riser with my job as a train driver, I'll have no problem getting up at silly o'clock. I always say if I can do it for work I can sure do it for my own enjoyment! I love the early hours, best part of the day for me once I'm up. Plus I want the 25th to last as long as possible as it's going to be a very special day indeed - I couldn't believe my luck when I looked at the schedules and she arrives in NYC on that day!!

I just had quick look on Cunards website to check the Symphony Orchestra are still on it, and the cheapest fare for this crossing now is £10,000!!! So I'm guessing it certainly pays to book early.

Yes but the 14nt roundtrip TA 18 Oct-1st Nov is still being advertised from £1542 which is still dear compared to when we booked it in 2016 at just over £1000pp for 14nts in inside cabin "what a bargain".

Texting home is probably the cheapest way to stay in touch if you don't have wifi minutes.

We've never paid for the spa though I did get to visit it when my husband hurt his back on our first crossing & saw the (excellent) chiropracter, if you book a treatment you can use the spa & he couldn't because he was in so much pain so they let me go while he had his treatment. While it was very nice all our subsequent trips (including a roundtrip for my 50th we were sure we'd feel the need to break up with a new experience) have been so enjoyably busy (sometimes just busy relaxing! :-) ) we haven't felt we were missing out by not getting a spa pass - unless the sauna/steam room is really important to you on a holiday you'll probably be fine without it or if they are just with a 3 day pass - the week goes so fast.

Our first trip was an NSO one and we like you wouldn't go out of our way to attend a land based performance but it was just so right on the ship and really added to our enjoyment, as did getting to chat to the cello players in the pub.

Do try & have a pub lunch we didn't get round round to it until our fourth trip and it is nice. We rarely have a sit down lunch for fear of putting on even more weight than we resign ourselves to (ship laps & using the stairs notwithstanding) but you can always eat the calorie counted dinner suggestions at night to compensate.

I hope you have a wonderful crossing & a good time in NY & DC - be prepared to get hooked

Thanks Wenlyn,

Hooked, who me??? Only gone and booked a Baltic cruise on Queen Victoria for next August :-)

And that's before we've even sailed with Cunard, but I'm that confident we'll love it!