Chances for an upgrade to Queens Grill?

uilleann

We do not cruise that often and never on Cunard. We bought some balcony suites but recently decided to purchase an upgrade to a Princess Grill Suite.

Here is the question. If they offer an opportunity to be on a wait list for a free upgrade to a Queens Grill Suite.....

1. Is it likely that would be an option to get on that list?

2. What are the chances, generally, of getting the free upgrade

3. Are there any downsides to being on that upgrade list? ( don't see any bad location on the ship for Queens Grill Suite)

The closest you may get is an upsell. It’s not likely that you would be offered a free upgrade, especially as a first time cruiser. There are many factors that enter into upgrades. I know of some cruisers who live near Southampton and are offered special deals at the last minute so the ship is full (literally one booked a week before). But I never heard of free upgrade at the QG level.

While cruise ships usually sail full, I have been on voyages were some of the premium cabins were empty. It’s just not in Cunard financial interest to cheapen their highest product by giving it away for free. Note that the most desired cabins will go quickly so it is best that you book the QG if that is what you really want.

We have received free upgrades from PG to QG three times in the past. But they don’t do it much these days - though it does happen very occasionally.

Yes, I have had Inside to Balcony, Club to Princess, Princess to Queens upgrades in the past. I suppose it very much depends on load factors and these days Cunard seem to be able to fill QG, PG and Club relatively easily. I suppose this is not surprising really - I just received Saga's brochure (I have never travelled with Saga) for the new Spirit of Discovery - 7 night cruise in 2019 in a suite is more expensive than QG on the QM2 - but of course we don't know what Saga will be like with a brand new ship, albeit only 58,000 tons.

We have a guarantee pg and there are only 3 unsold pg Cabins for Maty 2019. Got our fingers crossed for QG. First time on Cunard.

Is that a P1 or a P2. We have just enquired about a cruise on QM2 and even though it is over 14 months away there is only "Guaranteed" P2 cabins available. The TA said it meant we would be guaranteed a minimum P2 grade cabin but could be higher. But then went on to say in his experience what more likely to happen those that booked early and are regular Cunard cruisers who have booked P1 will be upgraded into QG and then those with similar will be upgraded from P2 to P1 and then those who have booked "Guaranteed" P2 will be slotted in to vacated P2 cabins on the ship and on QM2 they are not in a great position on deck 10.

If the QG is way under booked, that would mean many empty cabins, No cabin servicing = no gratuities for the staff. The same goes with the dining room. Since the marginal cost of a cabin/day is low, Cunard (or its pricing algorithm) will lower fares to fill as many berths as possible. Also, they will upgrade passengers. The lower level now empty from an upgrade will be easier to sell than a Q grade cabin.

Just remembered, I was upgraded free on QM2 on my second ever Cunard Cruise, from Britannia Balcony guarantee to Queens Grill.

That was a very wise step of Cunard, since I booked Grills always thereafter and I am Diamond now.

It was just a mini cruise of two nights, though.

So you have

a) a new cruiser to Cunard

b) a collection of repeat customers; i.e.

Cunard World Club - Gold (completed 20 days previously),

Cunard World Club - Platinum (completed 70 days previously) and

Cunard World Club - Diamond (completed 150 days previously)

There is a free upgrade. Who gets it?

I presume someone with a guarantee booking but no stateroom allocated gets priority?

Cunard is not a new start up business and many passengers are repeat customers.

We have done seven trips on Cunard and received unpaid upgrades on six. Of those, four were P3 (which used to be the category for PG guarantee) or P2 upgraded to P1. The other two upgraded trips:

(1) We booked QG (only once, booked on Queen Victoria) and were bumped from Q7 to Q4. No idea why, but I did not complain - that was a great cabin.

(2) Last year, we booked a December TA about ten months in advance in P2 and were upgraded to Q6. That occurred when the price dropped significantly near final payment date and we asked if an upgrade was possible based on QG selling for roughly what we paid for our P2.

UK customers will be aware of the 'Upgrade beyond all expectations' Grills promotion running until October 1st on selected 2019 cruises: a P2 for the price of an A1 or a Q6 for the price of a P1.

The only possible downside is that your upgraded room could be in a less desirable location.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only possible downside is that your upgraded room could be in a less desirable location.

Not at all you still pick your cabin number within the grade it is not an upgrade where you have no choice. You still pick your suite in P2 grade for example but pay the price of A1 Club Balcony.

It's just that the listed price for a P2 is the same as an A1.

Cunard would like you to believe that this is because they lowered the P2 price to that of an A1.

They have reduced some of prices on P2 suites. I have a cruise I booked last year but not until Nov 2019. I contacted Cunard asking about upgrading my cabin to a P2 suite knowing that the policy is that I would pay the price the P2 was on date of my original booking and they quoted me over £3500pp and the current price is £2699pp. It would be cheaper for me to cancel my original booking and lose my deposit and rebook at lower price. So there are some good deals about but cannot guarantee everyone is.

Not at all you still pick your cabin number within the grade it is not an upgrade where you have no choice. You still pick your suite in P2 grade for example but pay the price of A1 Club Balcony.

I was talking about the free upgrade some were discussing.

I was talking about the free upgrade some were discussing.

So was I and some contributors to this thread were giving impression that it wasnt a genuine upgrade offer and my response was to prove that on the one cruise I enquired about it is a genuine offer and a better price for a P2 currently then when it was first released in Oct 2017 when you are supposed to get the best deals which is clearly incorrect.

So was I and some contributors to this thread were giving impression that it wasnt a genuine upgrade offer and my response was to prove that on the one cruise I enquired about it is a genuine offer and a better price for a P2 currently then when it was first released in Oct 2017 when you are supposed to get the best deals which is clearly incorrect.

That definitely happens. We booked Hong Kong to Dubai in a P2 months ago. Prices have dropped from almost £7,000pp to less than £5,500pp. We cancelled, lost our deposit, rebooked and now have a Q5 which is £1,600pp less than at the time we originally booked!