All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

The AMA transfer services works very well. We used it from Prague to Vilshofen last year and it included a tour in Regensberg and time for lunch. Not sure how long your trip is from Munich to Vilshofen but I don't think AMA would leave you waiting for long for your pickup. You may want to call them and ask or ask your travel agent for this information. Our AMA experience was amazing, hope yours is too.

Does anyone know the cost of AMA transfer from Prague to Vilshofen?

Does anyone know the cost of AMA transfer from Prague to Vilshofen?

If I remember correctly it was $86 per person. It was a pickup at 8:30 at the Hilton Old Town in Prague and we stopped in Regensburg for a guided tour which was beautiful and had time for lunch on our own, then proceeded to Vilshofen and arrived around 2 pm.

If I remember correctly it was $86 per person. It was a pickup at 8:30 at the Hilton Old Town in Prague and we stopped in Regensburg for a guided tour which was beautiful and had time for lunch on our own, then proceeded to Vilshofen and arrived around 2 pm.
Actually, it was $186 per person. It was almost the full day with the tour. I checked with my travel agent. That is in Canadian Funds.

I'll be on AmaLyra June 7th Paris/Normandy. First river cruise ever after a number of ocean cruises and I'm really looking forward to it, especially after reading the postings here. Thanks! AMA info reads 'Gratuities on most vessels, but not all, may be charged on credit card as well as cash'. Does anyone know if the Lyra accepts a credit card for the gratuities?

I'll be on AmaLyra June 7th Paris/Normandy. First river cruise ever after a number of ocean cruises and I'm really looking forward to it, especially after reading the postings here. Thanks! AMA info reads 'Gratuities on most vessels, but not all, may be charged on credit card as well as cash'. Does anyone know if the Lyra accepts a credit card for the gratuities?

We prepaid our gratuities when we paid our final invoice for the trip. We tipped some of the staff a bit more while on the ship with cash when we wanted to show our thanks for the exceptional service.

Just so you all know - you can ask AMA to send the documents directly to you and bypass sending them to your travel agent. Ours were delayed 2 weeks by them sending to our agent, which aggravated me to no end as we are leaving in 1 week and I just got them. There is a lovely book about the places we are going but now rushing to read it before we leave. As we are planning the Africa cruise trip with them in the future, I emailed them and asked them to change that reservation to eliminate sending the docs to our agent and they said sure, no problem.

I've been on 4 AMA cruises (Paris to Normandy, Tulip Time, Prague to Budapest, Taste of Bordeaux) & loved each one! Everyone I've met onboard has been a delight and you won't find better crews anywhere. I happen to be sailing on my 1st Viking river cruise (Christmas Markets) this November with a friend & I'm already regretting we won't be travelling with AMA after seeing all the nickel & diming Viking does with their excursions! Needless to say, next year, I'll be back with AMA for my Lyon to Arles trip;)

My sister and I will be doing the tulip time cruise next April. Our main question is the weather. I assume we should plan on layers. Was it rainy at all? We did Ama on the Paris to Normandy route in 2016 and it was wonderful! We are looking forward to another AMA experience.

We did that same cruise two years ago. It was a fabulous experience, you will enjoy it.

My sister and I will be doing the tulip time cruise next April. Our main question is the weather. I assume we should plan on layers. Was it rainy at all? We did Ama on the Paris to Normandy route in 2016 and it was wonderful! We are looking forward to another AMA experience.

Dress in layers for sure. We did the Danube last April and two weeks before we went they had beautiful warm sunny temps. When we arrived, everything was in bloom but then a cold snap came with lots of rain and a bit of snow. One never knows with the weather unfortunately. We took water resistant jackets and made sure we had rain ponchos. We took gloves and a winter hat which really helped. But I've been watching the weather this year and once again its been in the high teens and mid twenties (Celsius). We leave in less than two weeks and I have to rethink my clothing if the temps stay this way. I will make sure once again I take layers as one never knows how quick things can change.

happycr We were on the Paris Normandy 3/29-4/5/18 and yes, they do take credit cards for all on-board charges including tips. Just remember to give the pursers at the front desk your card a day or two before you disembark so you do not have to try and do it as you leave when it is very busy.

As for weather, it was alternately great weather (no wind/rain in Normandy) to raining sideways on other days. I would definitely bring a rain coat with hood as sometimes the wind is too much for a small umbrella.

Also want to say that with all the rain/snow that France had received this year, our ship could not dock in Paris. So, we had to take a shuttle from Paris to Colfans where the boat was docked. AMA did offer a free shuttle from their hotel (which we were not staying in pre-cruise) but they indicated that there was no where to sit at the hotel (small lobby) and nowhere to store your luggage. Also, they asked for you to get there at least an hour before the shuttle left at 3:00 pm. So I guess that meant we would be standing on the sidewalk with our luggage for up to an hour in potentially bad weather. No thank you. We elected to take our own shuttle (BT Transfer, which we also took from the airport) which charged 90 Euro for 4 of us and luggage in a van. I HIGHLY recommend BT Transfer and making your own arrangements because you can get to the ship early (say noon) and if your room is not yet ready, you can either enjoy a light lunch in the lounge or explore Colfans. Also, you avoid arriving with a cast of dozens. So much more civilized. :-)

Does anyone know how we prepay our gratuities? I looked online on AMA under My Cruise and can't find an option nor can I find any reference to it in the FAQ. Perhaps everyone just pays onboard? Just kind of nice to get it out of the way especially if they prefer cash. We are on AmaKristina on July 23 Amsterdam to Basel. I did see though that all our shore excursions are now online and I can read about them and make my selections. My cruise is not yet loaded onto the AMA App but I can do it online on the computer now. Surprised to see it there 3 months out.

We prepaid our gratuities when we paid our final invoice for the trip. We tipped some of the staff a bit more while on the ship with cash when we wanted to show our thanks for the exceptional service.

Thanks for info.

happycr We were on the Paris Normandy 3/29-4/5/18 and yes, they do take credit cards for all on-board charges including tips. Just remember to give the pursers at the front desk your card a day or two before you disembark so you do not have to try and do it as you leave when it is very busy.

As for weather, it was alternately great weather (no wind/rain in Normandy) to raining sideways on other days. I would definitely bring a rain coat with hood as sometimes the wind is too much for a small umbrella.

Also want to say that with all the rain/snow that France had received this year, our ship could not dock in Paris. So, we had to take a shuttle from Paris to Colfans where the boat was docked. AMA did offer a free shuttle from their hotel (which we were not staying in pre-cruise) but they indicated that there was no where to sit at the hotel (small lobby) and nowhere to store your luggage. Also, they asked for you to get there at least an hour before the shuttle left at 3:00 pm. So I guess that meant we would be standing on the sidewalk with our luggage for up to an hour in potentially bad weather. No thank you. We elected to take our own shuttle (BT Transfer, which we also took from the airport) which charged 90 Euro for 4 of us and luggage in a van. I HIGHLY recommend BT Transfer and making your own arrangements because you can get to the ship early (say noon) and if your room is not yet ready, you can either enjoy a light lunch in the lounge or explore Colfans. Also, you avoid arriving with a cast of dozens. So much more civilized. :-)

Thanks for all of this great info. Hopefully, the river level will have settled down by the time I get there :-) I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Thanks to all for the great information. We are on Amaprima Moselle Delights 2019 10 day plus 4 in Zurich / Lucern. Our first river cruise and your post really puts us at ease with our decisions and selection. Next decision will be our flights. Love AMA website and look forward to downloading the app just before we leave. When Can you pre reserve spa massage s. I have heard they are not as pricey as they are on sea cruises.

Thanks to all for the great information. We are on Amaprima Moselle Delights 2019 10 day plus 4 in Zurich / Lucern. Our first river cruise and your post really puts us at ease with our decisions and selection. Next decision will be our flights. Love AMA website and look forward to downloading the app just before we leave. When Can you pre reserve spa massage s. I have heard they are not as pricey as they are on sea cruises.
Hope you love the river cruise experience as much as we do. We are leaving in a week for our Rhine river cruise. I will be posting a review when I return and we are also staying in Lucern, so we will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Hope you love the river cruise experience as much as we do. We are leaving in a week for our Rhine river cruise. I will be posting a review when I return and we are also staying in Lucern, so we will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Will you post a link to your review on this Thread or will we have to look elsewhere for it?

AMAlegro, Paris to Normandy, July 2016, with my sisters and our mother (our first trip just the 4 of us, since 1970). We had a fantastic time, great food, wonderful people, amazing staff and crew, outstanding food...loved it all! Departing July 7th on AMAprima, just with my mother this time, Amsterdam to Basel. Leaving states on July 4th, and spending a few days in Amsterdam. Going online in the morning to book tickets for Anne Frank House and Van Gogh museum. Who else is on this trip??

Booked the AMADolce today for the March 2019 Bordeaux wine cruise. Has anyone here done this cruise? This is our first river cruise and I’m feeling a tad overwhelmed. Now on the lookout for airfare. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Several more ships have been added to the app along with more sailings for the ships that were already there. My sailing is finally showing!! And my docs came in the mail today - over 6 weeks pre-cruise.