NCL Newbie...Upgrade bid help

TNcrzr4life

This is only our 2nd NCL cruise (first was Epic and not a great experience) and first on Getaway. We booked in at cat BD to receive all 5 “perks” for Sept 30 sailing. Right now we have guarantee but received the invite to bid for an upgrade. I have no clue what is a reasonable bid for which categories. Thinking spa or mini suite? This is our 30th Anniversary year so that would be pretty special. Thanks in advance for any and all advice[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

See what the cost difference of what you paid and the cost of the mini is, if its something in your budget just upgrade yoruself and pay the difference. You might not get to keep the perks you have now, ask before you do this. IF its higher than what you want to bid, then do the max you are willing to pay. Personally I'm such a cheapskate that I'd just put the minimum bid in and not stress about it.

I agree with Sauer-Kraut in that if you have the budget for it, go ahead and do the upgrade yourself. If you wait for the bidding process, you run the risk of not getting the upgrade at all. I booked a balcony on the Sun and bid on a mini-suite. It was what they called a "great" bid but I didn't get it in the end. I should have just booked the mini-suite in the first place. Still had a great time, though.

CM

Check the prices of all categories above yours at least daily. Watch for price drops. Do mock bookings and see the real cost of upgrading direct. I did this for our Getaway cruise and was able to upgrade from a mini-suite to a Haven Courtyard Penthouse for $740 total.

The key to placing the right bid for you is to bid an amount where, if you win, you are happy and feel you got a good deal, and if you lose, you are happy that you now have that extra money to spend on board. If your happiness hinges on the upgrade, then just pay the difference to upgrade outright and don't rely on the bidding process. If you'd be happy with just having that extra money to spend on board, then that's perfect. That way you "win" either way.

If you don't bid max or close to max you won't have much of a chance to win on most cruises. Thousands bidding against you.

That's certainly not true. If you follow Parts 1 and 2 of this thread, you will see that MANY people win with near-minimum bids. It really depends on the sailing, the ship, and many other factors:

Part 1: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2453189

Part 2: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651424

Thanks so much to all of you! Decisions, decisions! May save the money and fly instead of drive [emoji4]

I can tell you this:

When you are nearing the end of this life with family by your side I promise you will not be thinking :boy..I'm sure glad I was able to save that extra $700 from the cruise I took 5 years back" no way...so thats why i say go for it...spend the money..get the upgrade..you work hard...you deserve it..live a little..you will always have debt..you will always have ebs and flows of money in your lifetime..see the world while your legs are strong and you knees are sturdy.

-Best,

Mark

That's certainly not true. If you follow Parts 1 and 2 of this thread, you will see that MANY people win with near-minimum bids. It really depends on the sailing, the ship, and many other factors:

Part 1: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2453189

Part 2: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651424

Sorry, my post certainly is true. You might win a low bid to an ocean view cabin, but you don't have much chance winning a balcony or suite with a minimum bid.

Sorry, my post certainly is true. You might win a low bid to an ocean view cabin, but you don't have much chance winning a balcony or suite with a minimum bid.

I don't know about chances overall, because not everyone who bids posts here, but there are certainly MANY people who have posted to those threads I linked having won bids in the "poor" range to even Haven suites. It really does all depend on the ship, the sailing, and inventory.

I can tell you this:

When you are nearing the end of this life with family by your side I promise you will not be thinking :boy..I'm sure glad I was able to save that extra $700 from the cruise I took 5 years back" no way...so thats why i say go for it...spend the money..get the upgrade..you work hard...you deserve it..live a little..you will always have debt..you will always have ebs and flows of money in your lifetime..see the world while your legs are strong and you knees are sturdy.

-Best,

Mark

Thanks, Mark! I’m now considering bidding after all. Our daughter is leaving for Scotland for a year at the beginning of September so this may be a bit of a consoling trip anyway. Super proud of her but sure am gonna miss her [emoji22]

I can tell you this:

-Best,

Mark

So well said! I've been living with this attitude for a very long time!

I don't know about chances overall, because not everyone who bids posts here, but there are certainly MANY people who have posted to those threads I linked having won bids in the "poor" range to even Haven suites. It really does all depend on the ship, the sailing, and inventory.

On our first NCL cruise last spring we originally booked a balcony cabin, then put in a minimum/low ball bid for the Haven. I was absolutely shocked when our bid was accepted. We are excited for our 2nd NCL cruise in September and while we have booked in the Haven, we still put in a bid (pretty lowball, IMO..I'm cheap, haha) so we'll see what happens. If they call our bluff, wonderful! And if they don't, we're still in the Haven and we're still going to have a great cruise. I think at the end of the day, whether you bid or not, the key is to not get your hopes & expectations up and that way there's no disappointment. Happy sailing!

I can tell you this:

-Best,

Mark

This is so true! I've seen family members and friends who watched their pennies so they could travel and such when they retired. When retirement came, there was illness or death and the plans went by the wayside and the savings to the kids.

Don't wait. You never know how long you have or what tomorrow will bring..............