Too Humid? (Hearing Aids)

Hello!

The significant other and I will be taking a cruise in September to the Bahamas. My question is to anyone who wears hearing aids (or knows of someone that does) that have been to this area. Have you had any problems with it being too humid for your hearing aids? Would I be better off just leaving them in my stateroom while I go ashore or do you think I'll be fine? My significant other is completely hearing so he'll be my "ears". I don't think I'll have any problems with the heat unless I start sweating like crazy and I can deal with that, but if the air is extremely humid, then I start having trouble with my aids.

This will be our first ever cruise and I'm just a little apprehensive and anxious.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

Scotty

ScottyZkaaayk,

I have never experienced too much humidity for my hearing aids. BUT I have BTH aids. I could see any in canal aids would be subject to humidity. I would recommend a hearing aid dryer. Some are electric, some are just a desiccant. Ask your Audiologist which one is best for your hearing aids. Take it with you on the cruise and put your hearing aids in the device to dry them overnight perhaps.

HTH

Do not have hearing aids but have an audiologist in the family. This is what I've been told.

You don't have to be on cruise for high temperatures and humidity to impact hearing aid performance or even damage them. Increased water in the air regardless of location can cause water to condense inside the device, which can be further complicated if you sweat from the heat. Storing in a dehumidifier specifically made for hearing aids each night will help to dry them out and recover for the next day.

• 2 months later...
Hello!

Have you had any problems with it being too humid for your hearing aids? Would I be better off just leaving them in my stateroom while I go ashore or do you think I'll be fine? My significant other is completely hearing so he'll be my "ears".

Thanks!

Scotty

Just to reassure you, yesterday I stupidly started to shower with mine in and had just wet my hair before realizing my stupidity. After removing the batteries and bits and pieces, I immediately put them in a dish of rice.

Eventually I located the dehumidifier provided by the audiologist and put them in it.

NO PROBLEMS -- they worked perfectly much to my amazement.

No humidity could match a drenching.

Ruth

On a cruise before I got my hearing aids, I got caught in a tropical storm. Thus I never wear mine when I go ashore. Normally, I only wear them when dining or attending some function on the ship. The rest of the time they stay in the hearing aid dehumidifier.

On a cruise before I got my hearing aids, I got caught in a tropical storm. Thus I never wear mine when I go ashore. Normally, I only wear them when dining or attending some function on the ship. The rest of the time they stay in the hearing aid dehumidifier.

When caught in such a tropical storm, I remove mine along with my watch and store them in a bag in my purse.

Ruth

• 9 months later...

I just wanted to check in with you after your cruise! Did you have any issues? My DH and I are going to the Bahamas in a month and he has one hearing aid and a cochlear. He has lots of issues here in VA with humidity (for the HA, not CI) and uses his dehumidifier at night but that doesn't help with the muffled sounds or cutting out during the day from humidity.

Did you have any issues?

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to check in with you after your cruise! Did you have any issues? My DH and I are going to the Bahamas in a month and he has one hearing aid and a cochlear. He has lots of issues here in VA with humidity (for the HA, not CI) and uses his dehumidifier at night but that doesn't help with the muffled sounds or cutting out during the day from humidity.

Did you have any issues?

Thanks for checking in with me! I actually didn’t have any issues at all with my HAs on the cruise. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to pack my hearing aid overnight dehumidifier cup and I had to resort to keeping them in a denture cup at night and I didn’t have any problems at all even without the dehumidifier.

Is there an audiologist there local that offers free hearing aid cleanings? Often, when I have issues with muffled sounds, or cutting in and out, I take them to have them cleaned and that fixes the issues. It is usually the microphone has become clogged with dirt or dry sweat. I hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

My Audiologist suggested Hearing Aid Socks, which I bought and totally solves the sweating problem. They make your aids a lot more visible, but it doesn't bother me. I think they are a little pricey for what they are. Here is a link, they have several sizes. https://www.amazon.com/Ear-Gear-Instrument-Protection-instruments/dp/B00EJTHX62/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1535763541&sr=8-2&keywords=hearing%2Baid%2Bsocks&th=1

Thanks for the advice! DH does get his hearing aid cleaned regularly at the audiologist. He is also a very sweaty guy and works outside. He has to get special haircuts to keep the sweat off his HA.

We tried the sock and it just soaked up all his sweat and kept it against the HA. Although the sock is probably a good idea on sea days when on deck, that spray can be vigorous. We plan to pack his dehumidifier to use every night and keep the waterproof case on his CI the whole time. Hopefully that'll help.