NCL Star Jumper affected passengers

shannon_m

Reaching out to people who were affected by the 'jumper' on the cruise departing August 19th. Wondering if you have had any success with compensation for mistreatment at the port, missed port of call or anything else?

Having been in an almost identical situation before with another cruise line, I am disgusted by how NCL handled the situation.

Thanks.

Thanks. I am just so disappointed by the way it was all handled. We were missed treated At The Port before we even left, they refused to give us a wheelchair when we requested one 3 times, we asked for a wheelchair but we made to stand in a mobility assistance area for more than 3 hours. Consequently both my mother and myself suffered immense pain and were very uncomfortable and were provided with no assistance whatsoever. This was before we even boarded the ship when things seem to go from bad to worse.

The employees at the port are not employed by NCL.

They may not be NCL staff but are enlisted by and represent NCL. They wear NCL uniforms and therefore have been allowed by NCL to represent them. In saying that, this is not the only issue we encountered on this trip, we incurred further issues on board the ship, with mistakes being made by NCL and encountered further issues disembarking the ship by NCL staff. I have also taken cruises with other companies from Venice and encountered no such problems with mobility assistance.

Thanks. I am just so disappointed by the way it was all handled. We were missed treated At The Port before we even left, they refused to give us a wheelchair when we requested one 3 times, we asked for a wheelchair but we made to stand in a mobility assistance area for more than 3 hours. Consequently both my mother and myself suffered immense pain and were very uncomfortable and were provided with no assistance whatsoever. This was before we even boarded the ship when things seem to go from bad to worse.

It looks like someone is not aware of how mobility assistance is handled by cruise line where those needing a wheelchair to board are often seated in an area and as the limited number of wheelchairs are available for use, passengers are taken in the order of arrival in the use of the chair.

I can only imagine how the late arrival of the ship affected the debarkation of the on board passengers and backed up the embarkation of the arriving passengers (including the availability of wheelchairs).

And NCL doesn't own the passengers anything for the missing of a port (except return of any port fees) or the late arrival or departure. They might offer limited on board credit for the inconvenience as a gesture of good will.

"Ship" happens and it is part of cruising.

Hi Shannon m

I was on the ship and i have posted a question regarding a claim on my travel Insurance.

They have advised today that my claim is not covered ? I wonder if anyone has had a claim accepted.

I also experienced the lack of any real help in re booking flights and accommodation .

The eventual disembarkation was chaotic. We witnessed a lady fall on the escalator due to being rushed off . I took these points up with NCL but no reply and I had to make 3 phone call to secure a letter concerning the reason the ship was delayed as requested by my insurance.

This was my first cruise I travelled with two of my daughters and my granddaughter.

I think unless someone is in the situation we found ourselves in it's difficult to describe the panic and chaos.

I am sorry if I have posted my question about insurance on the wrong forum but I am desperately upset about the money I have lost due to this unexpected and unforeseen event.

Thank you

Peggy lancs

I simply want to address the portion in red.

The Star could have been delayed due to weather, a medivac, mechanical issues, etc. The fact that it was a woman jumping overboard does not make the delayed disembarkation process more chaotic. Those that cruise often are all too familiar with how the various cruise lines handle delays.

This being your first cruise may have added to your feeling of panic.

Hi Shannon m

I was on the ship and i have posted a question regarding a claim on my travel Insurance.

They have advised today that my claim is not covered ? I wonder if anyone has had a claim accepted.

I also experienced the lack of any real help in re booking flights and accommodation .

The eventual disembarkation was chaotic. We witnessed a lady fall on the escalator due to being rushed off . I took these points up with NCL but no reply and I had to make 3 phone call to secure a letter concerning the reason the ship was delayed as requested by my insurance.

This was my first cruise I travelled with two of my daughters and my granddaughter.

I think unless someone is in the situation we found ourselves in it's difficult to describe the panic and chaos.

I am sorry if I have posted my question about insurance on the wrong forum but I am desperately upset about the money I have lost due to this unexpected and unforeseen event.

Thank you

Peggy lancs

/quote]

NCL has no responsibility to help you with your flights and accommodations.

As far as your travel insurance goes, you need to read your policy. Any travel insurance we have bought has pages of details on what is and isn't covered.

Panic and Chaos? Drama much? Unless you were boarding life boats in the middle of the night while the ship was on fire and sinking, I don't think panic and chaos can possible be the best choice of words I understand that people may not have been happy about the delay on leaving the ship and the impact on travel plans, but a delay is more common than you may realize and there are very good reasons why the cruiselines have recommended times for flights.

The one thing that one can count on is that at some point while traveling, something will go wrong. It might just be a broken nail while dressing for dinner or something major. Always prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

And before someone accuses me of being an NCL cheerleader - I definitely am not.

Did you request mobility assistance prior to your cruise? Are you saying you waited for 3 hours and still no wheelchair? What kind of assistance were you looking for other than wheelchairs? Keep in mind that there are only a certain number of wheelchairs available and, if you didn't make prior reservations, those that did would have priority over you. What are you looking for NCL to do now for you, since your cruise is over?

What other issues did you have while on the ship and did you address them with Guest Services at that time? Did Guest Services not do anything to address your issues?

Had you contacted the Special Needs dept at least a couple weeks before the cruise?

Thanks for everyones replies. Assistance was requested at the time the cruise was booked and reconfirmed within the week of booking. Wheelchairs were available and lined up against a wall but we were told we were not allowed them. The advise was to find a chair somewhere in another terminal, but we were also told that same person that if we choose to go find a seat somewhere we would forfeit or requested assistance. We were in the assitance area, along with many others who were also mistreated and we were one of the first there as we never revieved an email orntext advising us of the delay. Asfor other things that went wrong during the cruise, we made several visits to guest services, nearly almost every day of the cruise (often at their request) but little was done to address or complaints. We also ensured that or request for assistance during disembarkation would be honoured and were told yes it would, alas, when it come time to help, no one would, until out of complete exhaustion I broke down. The situation was so bad that at one point, another man who had requested assistance, eventually collapsed and cracked his head open! Everyone was treated like cattle rather than a paying guest. I have cruised a fair bit and as i mentioned earlier, have been on a cruise with another company with a very similar situation, they however were very organised and caring and handled it with grace.

What were your issues onboard the ship?

The first issue was that we had a drinks package bonus when we booked. We confirmed eligibility with NCL prior to departure over the phone and When we checked in at the terminal, it was confirmed that it was on our account, however once on board the ship, we were told that we were ineligible due to the way our travel agent booked it. If we were ineligible the why had 2 different staff confirm we had it. We also had an issue with a birthday package my mum purchased. It was delivered 3 days early and the cake was left on the bed in our cabin after 9pm also 3 days early instead of at the restaurant as requested. There were some other things as well, but these were the main issues. It's just a shame because the cabin staff and restaurant staff are wonderful, but at least half of the people we spoke to at guest services were incompetent, unapologetic and we'll, just miserable.

What does any of this have to do with the jumper? I'm so confused.

That stuff has nothing to do with the jumper...I was asked what other stuff happened on board, i obliged and answered. What happened at the port terminal has everything to do with the jumper. That and the delays getting on board (some people didn't get on the ship until 10:40pm, missing pout on lunch as none was provided at the terminal and dinner as the restaurants closed early considering what time people began boarding). This missed port is also due to the delays incurred by the jumper, and that missed port should not have happened as the first port was close by and had a late arrival scheduled. The ship could have easily made it to the first port of call if they had not cruised so slowly, and I mean it crawled. Without a doubt, it could have made the port of Kotor, but chose not to spend the extra money on fuel to make it there. Instead they tendered close by to Kotor, just a few hours later, to pick up staff in Bar.

Believe me when I say my mum and I were not the only once very upset by NCL, by the second night, many guests in the atrium had suggested mutiny...They were all THAT angry.

The first issue was that we had a drinks package bonus when we booked. We confirmed eligibility with NCL prior to departure over the phone and When we checked in at the terminal, it was confirmed that it was on our account, however once on board the ship, we were told that we were ineligible due to the way our travel agent booked it. If we were ineligible the why had 2 different staff confirm we had it. We also had an issue with a birthday package my mum purchased. It was delivered 3 days early and the cake was left on the bed in our cabin after 9pm also 3 days early instead of at the restaurant as requested. There were some other things as well, but these were the main issues. It's just a shame because the cabin staff and restaurant staff are wonderful, but at least half of the people we spoke to at guest services were incompetent, unapologetic and we'll, just miserable.

Sounds like there are issues that should be taken up with the travel agent....drinks, b'day package, no wheelchair

Sounds like there are issues that should be taken up with the travel agent....drinks, b'day package, no wheelchair

Not really. NCL confirmed that the correct date had been in the system fornthe birthday packaged and that they delivered it on the wrong day. It was in their notes. Additionally, as I said earlier, wheelchairs were available at the port but refused and they agreed to assist in disembarking (reorganised on the ship) and failed to come through. It was also confirmed at check in at the port that we had the drinks package but when we got on the ship they said we didn't have it. NCL basically wanted to blame any third party they could. Unless you were personally on this cruise, it is probably difficult for you to understand what it was like. As I said earlier, EVERYONE was upset, not just us. Other people experienced problems like we did and in some cases, they had more severe issues than we did, including passengers who booked directly with NCL.

I am in the UK Shannon m and it's with The Post Office . I know some people on the ship were worse off than us they had much farther to get home than we did , Canada America etc I think flights to the UK were more frequent than to those places but we had to stay two extra days ourselves .

I posted here as I thought some of the other people affected may post.

I am sorry for all the problems you encountered. It's unrealistic to think NCL or any other cruise line are perfect and cruise companies need feedback on their performance , especially where disabled or vulnerable guest are involved.

Take care

Thank you

Lancashire lass

I am in the UK Shannon m and it's with The Post Office . I know some people on the ship were worse off than us they had much farther to get home than we did , Canada America etc I think flights to the UK were more frequent than to those places but we had to stay two extra days ourselves .

I posted here as I thought some of the other people affected may post.

I am sorry for all the problems you encountered. It's unrealistic to think NCL or any other cruise line are perfect and cruise companies need feedback on their performance , especially where disabled or vulnerable guest are involved.

Take care

Thank you

Lancashire lass

So true. And you are right, no cruise line is perfect, I just expect a company to show some sympathy and at least try and help to make things right. Any other cruiseline would at the very least apologise, NCL chose to do no such thing and worse, they chose to find a scapegoat to blame. In one of the announcements the captain virtually blamed the person who went overboard, which I thought was a bit rough given that the women obviously had problems and needs help. Thanks again for your contribution, I really can't thank you enough.

So true. And you are right, no cruise line is perfect, I just expect a company to show some sympathy and at least try and help to make things right. Any other cruiseline would at the very least apologise, NCL chose to do no such thing and worse, they chose to find a scapegoat to blame. In one of the announcements the captain virtually blamed the person who went overboard, which I thought was a bit rough given that the women obviously had problems and needs help. Thanks again for your contribution, I really can't thank you enough.

She was no scapegoat. SHE caused the problem and all the ensuing chaos for the passengers and crew. The truth can be rough.