Anyone have opinions on the Sea Princess?

I'd have thought that 10/10 was understood by most people to mean an unequivocally glowing report.:confused:

A less than stellar report will negatively impact staff probably far more than whatever their fault, real or imagined, deserved.

As I said, unless you were truly offended by a staff member, either give them unstinting praise or else nothing at all.

I agree with you Sinbad...no negatives in writing,...handle a concern with management on the ship. Everyone gets knocked when surveys are read by corporate.

Last May, on an Alaska cruise, at a Cooking demo's completion, staff marched in and held up signs with letters and numbers saying rate us a 10, so numbers must still be around, somewhere.

The last few years on my Princess sailings, no email surveys, no paperwork in the cabin or easily available cards to compliment staff.

So on Princess Australia sailings...are they still querying you....?

I am dubious on that. People can say they tip extra, but do they really?

Thank you for your informative posts....I agree with your above statement.....so much talk and little do. The belief on the US side is that any discretionary money given to any staff still goes into "the pool" and then if found to be excess goes back to the recipient. Who knows what really happens

Princess wants to fill their ships and they have been very successful with AU/NZ cruisers by using AUD and no grats.

Thanks again...

Edited by land lover

I

No, this will be our first time on the Majestic and this is also Majestic first time down under :).

Was curious as many Kiwis & Au were on her maiden Voyages and thought you might have been too. I sailed on her the 21 day Singapore to Shanghai, the drop off.

Tip: The Hollywood Club....simply beautiful. I am not one to get to excited about Princess ships...but this area is just simply beautiful, totally relaxing.

The tipped service staff are not Australian labour crew (even if Australian, they are not operating under an Australian agreement) and hence not covered by Australian maritime unions.

I would also expect they are not unionised at all including overseas, so unlikely to have any Australian union involvement at all.

Whatever Princess stated when grats were dropped.....and knowing the long debated subject just enough to keep me curious thru the years.......After booking my AU cruises in Jan..and researching CC I found comments suggesting No. American/UK, etc. cruisers should remove grats and heard the reasons why......questioning the reasons, I decided to do some digging, I still can't find factual data that shows crew on Princess Australia ships are being compensated more.

I have gone on 2 Princess cruises since booking my AU cruises in Jan. and decided to query a few long time Princess staff members as to the AU situation and have been told no difference in bottom line compensation.

One person I questioned was my room attendant from Thailand...14 years with the Princess, it is his career.

Is this correct , who knows...??

Needless to say since I will be on Sea Princess...for 38 days....with plenty of Sea days. hopefully I might be able to feed my curiosity. But then again...since I paid my grats already with my final payment.....maybe i'll just let it go.....:D at least I saved a few bucks(10+USD) by not having to pay the 1.1%cc fee....actually I did it so I would not have to see grats daily....thrown in with all my other expenses.

Thanks again for the info......

Edited by land lover

Was experimenting on that last post....just found out what I was trying to do did not work.

And I hate it when you cannot delete your signature....

Thanks everyone for the valuable posts.

OzKiwiJJ, this was the "place" u were referring me too, correct? I had no idea the down under group had your own "chat room" thanks all for being so helpful and welcoming to me.

I do have a general question about the Bridge Climb for those posters frm Sydney....I know the existing company lost the bid...they are only taking on-line reservations until Sept. 14 and when I emailed them they just referred me back to the "article about loosing the bid"......So my question is will there be no climbs available during the transition. I have searched for info and seem to be coming up empty handed?

Any info.....

New Company has the contract for the bridge climb, I will try and find the details for you.

OzKiwiJJ, this was the "place" u were referring me too, correct? I had no idea the down under group had your own "chat room" thanks all for being so helpful and welcoming to me.

Yes, this is the place.

You'll also notice less aggro on our forum, although you might find our humour (and spelling) a bit weird at times. :D

The tipped service staff are not Australian labour crew (even if Australian, they are not operating under an Australian agreement) and hence not covered by Australian maritime unions.

I would also expect they are not unionised at all including overseas, so unlikely to have any Australian union involvement at all.

I agree that cruiseship service staff are not unionized.That is not what I meant. I was referring to the fact that in the past, Australian Maritime Unions have refused to let ships sail if the crew are grossly under-paid. This has happened with Ukrainian ships. The Australian Union expresses solidarity with maritime workers from other countries.

I agree that cruiseship service staff are not unionized.That is not what I meant. I was referring to the fact that in the past, Australian Maritime Unions have refused to let ships sail if the crew are grossly under-paid. This has happened with Ukrainian ships. The Australian Union expresses solidarity with maritime workers from other countries.

Yes, that's what I referred to in the second point. As I recall, those previous incidents involved sailors raising concerns with local team members and in some cases had not been paid for some time for example.

However, staff onboard are not especially unhappy with their contract terms and it is generally not viewed as unfair, nor are they by all reports not being paid as per their terms nor are there other exceptions. Hence it would not be something taken up locally. Local unions do not just make their own assessments and then take action without issue.

New Company has the contract for the bridge climb, I will try and find the details for you.

New company Scenic something or other from Blue Mountains, start on Oct 1. They currently operate the Scenic railway and chair lift thingo up there, not done that for years. The company is also heavily involved in the new Sydney Zoo @ Blacktown, under construction.:')

Yes, this is the place.

You'll also notice less aggro on our forum, although you might find our humour (and spelling) a bit weird at times. :D

A few strange people on here, yes I admit it, I am probably one of those.:hearteyes::halo:;p

Yes, that's what I referred to in the second point. As I recall, those previous incidents involved sailors raising concerns with local team members and in some cases had not been paid for some time for example.

However, staff onboard are not especially unhappy with their contract terms and it is generally not viewed as unfair, nor are they by all reports not being paid as per their terms nor are there other exceptions. Hence it would not be something taken up locally. Local unions do not just make their own assessments and then take action without issue.

Fair point.:)