Telling room stewards told to hawk Carnival merchandise is wrong!

twodjs

Just got off our first Carnival cruise. We were shocked when we were approached by our room steward and asked if we wanted to buy any of the Carnival-branded items (robes, towels, etc.) from a brochure left in our cabin because "for each item we buy, he gets credit toward days off". This seems wrong on so many levels - puts us in a very awkward position, and he was certainly not happy about asking. I felt like Carnival was trying to shame us into buying their products - and rewarding employees not for exceptional service, but by how many towel books they sold. We have taken many cruises on other lines. This has never happened before. Is this normal for Carnival?

We are not happy with your allegation.

Is that a royal "we" you're using? :)

One time I was asked to purchase the towel book and I asked if the steward received a commission and was told they would earn extra time off. So no, it's not normal and in my case it has been the rare exception on Carnival.

Not normal. I have never encountered, but would have no problem saying no and without guilt.

And it is a huge leap to blame Carnival for the alleged actions of one individual. We are not happy with your allegation.

Allegation? The OP has been a member of CC since 2010. You think they are lying? You think that this isn't something your beloved cruise line wouldn't do or sink to? I'm sure this steward didn't come up with this plan on his own, apply only to him, or come up with this reward program for himself. I wouldn't doubt that Carnival would pull something like this ......

I could see it possibly happening but don't see it as a regular thing. Probably a one off by this particular steward. As a platinum cruiser on Carnival we have never encountered such a request/question from our stewards.

I do believe they do receive a credit for the sales but I don't believe that they are made to mention it. If a particular employee wants to receive the credit enough they will mention it on their own. I used to work as a dispatcher for a copier company and received a commission on any consumable supplies I sold over the phone, even though sales wasn't part of my job.

Allegation? The OP has been a member of CC since 2010. You think they are lying? You think that this isn't something your beloved cruise line wouldn't do or sink to? I'm sure this steward didn't come up with this plan on his own, apply only to him, or come up with this reward program for himself. I wouldn't doubt that Carnival would pull something like this ......

Jump much to conclusions? We know you hate Carnival. We get it.

I was asked to purchase something from the brochure and also told by the room steward that they earn time off. I had no problem with this because each time I cruise I usually purchase a serenity towel anyways. But YES it has happened.

Not normal. I have never encountered, but would have no problem saying no and without guilt.

And it is a huge leap to blame Carnival for the alleged actions of one individual. We are not happy with your allegation.

HA! You're kidding right? I'm sure someone from Carnival reads these boards, and have seen the many suckers that are so concerned about their employees pay, and how long they work that they might try to capitalize on it.

No need to defend a multi billion dollar corporation. :')

Like others have stated, I don't see this as a big deal. While it has never happened to me personally as mentioned earlier in this thread, to me it is no different than a photographer asking if you want your picture taken, a roaming waiter asking you if you want a drink, etc. If I am not interested, I simply tell the person no thank you and they move on.

I also find it hard to believe the OP has never been approached by anyone asking to buy something while on a cruise.

Edited by PhillyFan33579

I have no doubt this happened to the OP and just noticed on John Heald's Facebook video that he denied this happening. I think the OP had the luck of having a steward trying to make some bucks on the side. Lets not forget when Carnival came out with their "customized" room servicing program. Corporate's program was a choice of morning or evening or both. Unfortunately, Carnival kind of blew the whole thing with their first card the steward's gave us where it didn't indicate you could have both. How many cabin stewards tried to game the system by telling us you could only choose one option not both (until Carnival brought out the new card clearly stating you could have both)? Regardless, it's very easy to respond "No" when or if you're asked to buy something.

In all our cruises, this has never happened on Carnival.

But... last month we were on RCI Freedom of the Seas, and without a doubt we were asked by no less than 10 employees about buying a specialty dining package!!! Everywhere we went!! When walking on the promenade, eating breakfast, having a drink, it went on all week. We did want to purchase a package and a dining room waiter followed us from the front of the ship to the back, so we could talk to the rest of our group and make reservation times! What kind of “incentives” do these people get? It was annoying by the end of the cruise.... sorry rant over!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off our first Carnival cruise. We were shocked when we were approached by our room steward and asked if we wanted to buy any of the Carnival-branded items (robes, towels, etc.) from a brochure left in our cabin because "for each item we buy, he gets credit toward days off". This seems wrong on so many levels - puts us in a very awkward position, and he was certainly not happy about asking. I felt like Carnival was trying to shame us into buying their products - and rewarding employees not for exceptional service, but by how many towel books they sold. We have taken many cruises on other lines. This has never happened before. Is this normal for Carnival?

I see no issue with this. After all, Carnival sells FTTF as a means to get extra cash, and in return they give out stuff that is free. Like a donation. Donate to Carnival, get a free pass to head of line. They block the main gangway, forcing you to take a picture, why 1000 people are trying to get off. How many times to you read on this board how people love to tip extra for drinking? Like really, you need to give a bartender 40% tip to get a drink? People love to spend money, and so Carnival will continue to find new ways to get it. Of course the whole, I don't get enough money, feel guilty for me, usually works on Carnival, although the employees do sign a contract to work, and know exactly what it is before doing their 6 months. As long as passengers pay for this stuff, they will continue to push it. Seriously, who wouldn't want to buy a book from the poor overworked steward that cleans your room? They do have some extra time now, with only cleaning your room once a day so they can work on their selling skills.

Jump much to conclusions? We know you hate Carnival. We get it.

And we know you love Carnival and will defend them to the ends of the earth. And the "we are not happy " comment lends credence to the thought that you work for Carnival.

Concerning the steward's pitch, that has not happened to me in 90+ Carnival cruises.

Gee, I guess no one has ever heard the flight attendants (and in some cases the flight deck crew) hawking airline credit cards?

exactly. If I was running Carnival would do the same thing. Would not be satisfied unless customers filled up several pages of the statement.

John Heald said on his Facebook page this morning that the stewards receive no days off or pay of any kind for for any merchandise. He said the person that this happened to should contact him with the ship,cabin number and stewards name and he will look into it.

John Heald said on his Facebook page this morning that the stewards receive no days off or pay of any kind for for any merchandise. He said the person that this happened to should contact him with the ship,cabin number and stewards name and he will look into it.

In 2015 I was told specifically by my steward they earn extra time off when they reach a certain level of sales. This only seems fair because the steward who takes and delivers the order form also delivers the item to the cabin. There is some extra work involved. Unless this has changed JH is all wet on this one.

In 2015 I was told specifically by my steward they earn extra time off when they reach a certain level of sales. This only seems fair because the steward who takes and delivers the order form also delivers the item to the cabin. There is some extra work involved. Unless this has changed JH is all wet on this one.

Alternatively, your steward could be completely full of it, and attempting to guilt you into a sale.

I look at this like when the cashier asks me to sign up for a rewards card. The cashier doesn't want to do it. It's some jerk in an office that thinks "Well, if we ask 100 people, 25% will think about it, and 7% will sign up!" But without considering the 75% of the customers that you annoy/alienate by doing so.

PROGRESS!