What is the Port area of Halifax like?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:09 AM.
634 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
The Citadel fires its cannon at noon each day. Our group of 5 all enjoyed that performance. Afterwards we were debating lunch choices while sitting in the Botanical Gardens and a local man, who overheard us, recommended Le Bistro, a short walk from the gardens. It turned out to be a very nice experience: Our food was reasonable, tasted delicious, and the staff were very friendly. (Later we learned it also has high ratings on tripadvisor.
1,303 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We also had great food and friendly staff at Your Father's Mustache, close to the Public Garden. They had really good local beer and cider plus an amazing pb pie dessert. We had a salad (to keep things healthy ) and they had a really good maple vinaigrette dressing. I really hope life brings me back to the area someday - we loved it
NB Canada
1,261 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by pacruise804
We loved our trip to Halifax last year, but there was one aspect that surprised/saddened me.

On our walk back from the Citadel and Public Gardens I noticed panhandlers on several corners. They were very respectful - sitting quietly on a corner with a cup and sign for "change for a cup of coffee" - nothing like the begging in the Caribbean. I was not expecting it though, and was unprepared to offer anything to help (I don't think giving $ usually helps and didn't have any small bills with regardless).

If we return I will likely try to have some inexpensive gloves or scarves with me to offer. I felt bad ignoring them and it seemed like they were almost invisible people as others we talked with did not seem to notice them, but I would want any help to actually be a help.

In the immediate port area though, I only noticed musicians/performers with their cases or hats for donations.

Just a thought in case you would want to be prepared.
Originally posted by jaja
This seems to becoming more prevalent at all ports. Found same in Portland last time there. So sad, that this is the "norm" when traveling.

This is normal for just about any city I have ever been in, port city or not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista - March 2018 (pics)
Carnival Glory - December 2015 (pics on Flikr)
NCL Dawn - July 2014
Disney Dream and Magic Kingdom - March 2013
Carnival Paradise - March 5, 2012
Carnival Miracle and WDW - December 2010
238 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by lynncarol
The Citadel fires its cannon at noon each day. Our group of 5 all enjoyed that performance. Afterwards we were debating lunch choices while sitting in the Botanical Gardens and a local man, who overheard us, recommended Le Bistro, a short walk from the gardens. It turned out to be a very nice experience: Our food was reasonable, tasted delicious, and the staff were very friendly. (Later we learned it also has high ratings on tripadvisor.
A question for you...trying to decide if there is enough to see in Halifax's waterfront. Have excursion booked for Lunenburg. Wondering what there is to see and if we should cancel excursion. Thanks
238 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by pacruise804
We also had great food and friendly staff at Your Father's Mustache, close to the Public Garden. They had really good local beer and cider plus an amazing pb pie dessert. We had a salad (to keep things healthy ) and they had a really good maple vinaigrette dressing. I really hope life brings me back to the area someday - we loved it
What other ideas for the waterfront? Trying to decide on this or Lunenberg...thanks
238 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by katfer
What other ideas for the waterfront? Trying to decide on this or Lunenberg...thanks
Disregard previous posts...just read first page of thread
Brooklyn, NY, USA
826 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
We too were look at that excursion as we were disappointed in Peggy's Cove with lobster lunch.

Lobster IMHO was not worth it and on a nice day, the Light House is over running with tourist.

I would either try Lunenberg, walk the waterfront, see the Farmers Market more closely or stay and enjoy the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Luv Cruising,
BklynBoy8 "Eddie"
Cunard WC - Diamond Member
Booked....QM2 - 7 Day Canada/NE Jun 30th - Jul 7th, 2019 (Independence Day Sailing)
including the Port of Newport, Rhode Island

Sailed in the Past - Cunard, HAL and Chandris Lines
(QE2, QM2, Caronia, Rotterdam, Qx Anna Maria & Ellis)
Atlántida, Uruguay
203 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by katfer
A question for you...trying to decide if there is enough to see in Halifax's waterfront. Have excursion booked for Lunenburg. Wondering what there is to see and if we should cancel excursion. Thanks
https://www.novascotia.com/explore/top-25/lunenburg
What is the itinerary for Lunenburg? I love Lunenburg, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, lots of Victorian houses, small shops, a nice waterfront with some nice restaurants. Sometimes the Bluenose II is in port and has cruises into the harbour. Very steep streets and a nice Fisheries Museum. The Grand Banker is one of my favourite restaurants, it is down near the waterfront. https://grandbanker.com/
There are also craft shops, antique stores, art galleries etc.

The drive has a few nice views from the highway where you can see the sea - it is about an hour and a quarter drive from the cruise port.
NJ
98 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Is the HoHo bus helpful in Halfax?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Voyager 1/03 - Western Caribbean
Serenade 5/06 - Alaska
Vision 5/11 - Baltic
Ottawa Canada
701 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Closer than Alexander Keith brewery, is the Garrison Brewery, craft beer, just a 5 minute walk from the Halifax cruise terminal.

Samples last year were 2 bucks apiece....and I get to try it again in September while aboard the Norwegian Gem. Peter
Nova Scotia Canada
4,891 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
The HoHo may be a bit helpful to those with difficulty walking, but many points of interest are along the waterfront which is pedestrian only. The HOHO is very expensive so you could consider taking a couple taxi rides to the Citadel or Public Gardens in necessary.

This link includes information and maps for the HOHO and much more Halifax information: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._9SRi82dE/edit