flying to port with a scooter help please

flcraigs5

I just learned so much from this forum. Am now convinced that our travel scooter should be handed over at the gate instead of checked luggage. Recently took two flights - one perfect, one with damage (the airlines make it good, but what a hassle) Thank you all.

Posted Today, 07:07 AM

Hello, Need some input from those that have traveled with their scooter We are taking a transatlantic cruise the end of September so we will be flying to NY on United and then from NY to Copenhagen we will be on SAS. My father is concerned about damage to his scooter if he brings it on the plane. He is worried that they will just toss it in the compartment and it will come out a mess. His scooter is the Lexus Lite and folds down like a stroller and weighs 54 lbs. He has 2 lithium batteries for it. the scooter website says it can be taken on as carry on luggage but I don't see the airlines allowing this LOL. Would love to hear from those that fly with their scooters on how they are handled.

THANKS clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I travel with the same scooter. It is 54 lbs without the battery attached. Some things I learned. You should have the cover for the scooter, so when it is folded up, it is covered. I love the lithium battery, but I will not travel on airplanes with it anymore. It's just too risky in my opinion because you need to get it through security first, and that can be a challenge. I had issues on two occasions, and never again.

I have two regular battery packs. On tours, I always have the second pack in the basket under the seat. Two batteries last all day, and I also have a spare charger in my back pack. I travel with two chargers.

Counter checked to final destination or Gate checked and used at layovers. Did it both ways, and I have got to say, that having it delivered to final destination is better. First, having to wait for it, at the gate, can be time consuming, and sometimes just a problem. Some airports do not allow it. But if you check it to your final destination, you will have a wheelchair, and pusher to take you around the airport. You will never get lost. You will always make it through immigration control fast. It's so much easier.

I have a carry on bag for my two batteries. Since I will not, or should not check the scooter with the battery on, because it can easily bounce off this chair. The bag fits both batteries in it. I can carry it on, and slide under the seat. (you need the right size bag). I will ask to have it checked with the other luggage if the trip is complicated. Example, is my next trip to Asia. I will never, and mean never, try to intentially take batteries through Chinese security. I'm flying a US airlines, and will ask them to check it. Then if it gets lost, I will file an insurance claim. If Chinese security takes it, I can't.

You are flying SAS. Different rules, so make sure you register the chair, and verify with them, everything you need to do.

Will the chair get banged up? Yes it will. Sorry, but you should not worry about such things. It happens. I would rather travel with a scratched up, chipped, scooter, than looking at the pictures when others come back.

I’ve flown in and out of Copenhagen with my electric power chair. When I booked the flight I also booked in the chair so make sure your airline is notified you are bringing it. At check in the chair was tagged with a luggage tag. Copenhagen has excellent special assistance with a dedicated waiting area (I appreciate you may only be flying in and not out so might not use this)

I used my chair right to the plane door where it was taken and put in the hold. Please don’t worry if your chair is not brought to the plane when you arrive, special assistance will be there waiting with a wheelchair and will take you to baggage claim where the chair will be. We had a great guy last time who helped with the luggage and then actually took it across the road to the hotel for us.

Have a great trip