Wheelchair Experience with Embarkation in General and Specifically Port of New Orlean

njoyndride

After hubby's recent spine surgery I have a question regarding embarkation with a wheelchair. He will be fine on the ship without one just needs extra help getting up the ramp. We are cruising out of New Orleans in a couple of weeks and I am wondering what the process is to obtain a wheelchair. We are platinum and I'm only mentioning because we go into a different door than general boarding.

I have notified special needs that he will require a wheelchair and received an email back but it was not Port specific. Are the wheelchairs available right inside of the door and if not is there a place to sit while we wait for one? What I really would like to hear is your experience with boarding earlier or boarding later. Are there more wheelchairs available earlier or later? I'm thinking earlier as they are just finishing with getting passengers off the ship but I'm not sure having never experienced it. Would love to hear your input on what you do to make boarding easier for hubby as well as not getting in the way of other passengers anxious to board.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

If I understand you correctly, you will be able to go though check-in first and are looking for wheelchair assist (pretty much how it works) up the gangway? Right before the gangway door on our last cruise, there was a designated waiting area with 2-3 groups/families waiting for wheelchairs and assistants to become available. As I packed my own wheelchair, another passenger offered to give me a push instead of waiting for an attendant. A similar process works in reverse on debarkation, with those needing assistance held (theater in our case) until A-their deck is given the ok to leave and B - a helper becomes available. The helper that got me off the ship pretty much stayed with me until curbside.

Back to boarding...I don't think there are any wheelchairs outside prior to check-in, but I can't say for certain that you cannot get assistance at that point.

After hubby's recent spine surgery I have a question regarding embarkation with a wheelchair. He will be fine on the ship without one just needs extra help getting up the ramp. If he really only needs it going up the ramp, you can have the attendant just let him off at the top. If assistance might be needed once inside the ship, have in mind where you want the attendant to push him, especially if your room is not available yet (buffet, bar, pool). Cruise ships are huge and there is lots of walking. Not to mention all the walking on port days when off the ship. If there's a chance he might be in pain or get tired, consider renting a wheelchair (it will be in your room when you arrive and you leave it there upon disembarkation).

We are cruising out of New Orleans in a couple of weeks and I am wondering what the process is to obtain a wheelchair. We are platinum and I'm only mentioning because we go into a different door than general boarding. Start asking about wheelchair assistance right away from one (or more) of the cruiseline's representatives so they can direct him properly and get him help up the ramp.

I have notified special needs that he will require a wheelchair and received an email back but it was not Port specific. Are the wheelchairs available right inside of the door and if not is there a place to sit while we wait for one? We've never seen them right inside the door. If not immediately available, there will be an area to wait for a wheelchair and attendant.

What I really would like to hear is your experience with boarding earlier or boarding later. Are there more wheelchairs available earlier or later? I'm thinking earlier as they are just finishing with getting passengers off the ship but I'm not sure having never experienced it. Would love to hear your input on what you do to make boarding easier for hubby as well as not getting in the way of other passengers anxious to board. We always board early but of course lots of other people have the same idea. Depending on how many people need wheelchair assistance, we have had to wait for assistance on occasion. It's not just having the wheelchairs available, they also have to have attendants available. I would actually think more wheelchairs would be available later as passengers boarding the ship start to thin out. However, once there are fewer passengers there will probably be fewer wheelchair attendants. Don't worry about getting in the way of other passengers; the wheelchair attendants are experts in getting through crowds.

Each cruise center has a number of wheelchairs for embarkation-disembarkation only. They aren't reserved, first come first served basis. We have sailed out of 6 different cruise centers. All had drop off points with benches near the front door.

Each cruise center has a number of wheelchairs for embarkation-disembarkation only. They aren't reserved, first come first served basis. We have sailed out of 6 different cruise centers. All had drop off points with benches near the front door.

Thanks for the info, as long as he has a place to chill until a wheelchair is available we are good to go.