Vimy Ridge from Le Havre

fallingintojoy

Does anyone have any experience or any advice with visiting the Vimy Ridge Memorial from Le Havre. Our transatlantic stops there early May 2019. The ship excursions with regard to battlefield tours concentrate on American sites. But we would prefer to see Canadian sites.

Any info would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience or any advice with visiting the Vimy Ridge Memorial from Le Havre. Our transatlantic stops there early May 2019. The ship excursions with regard to battlefield tours concentrate on American sites. But we would prefer to see Canadian sites.

Any info would be appreciated.

Editing my original response...

According to Google Maps, its about a three hour drive, each way, from LeHavre to the memorial. With the overhead of arranging for a rental car [search this forum for rental car discussions] - it is likely that your time near the memorial will be quite limited.

------

Its possible that your ship may lay in a Juno / Sword focused tour if there is sufficient interest [e.g. keep bugging the cruise line's tour contact]

There are several third party tours available - do a search in this forum for 'Overlord' and you will get many results. [Different prices for private car/custom tour, van / small group tour & seat on a bus tour options. The 'seat on a bus' was priced similarly to the Ship's tour]

We took the ship's tour last year [American sector] and are planning on the Juno / Sword sector for next year [and likely with the ship's tour]. I would not be surprised if Cunard drew from the same pool of guides & busses the third party tours use.

One of the uses for the roll call forum is to see if there is any interest in tour sharing or forming a small tour group - have you joined or started the 'roll call' thread for your cruise?

Edited by TheOldBear
Oops on original reply

You might find a private guide to do the Canadian sites & IF you can find other Canadians on your cruise will to share the tour it may work out

Other than driving yourself there are limited tours

Maybe hire a taxi tour but most tours are very expensive for 2 people

Good luck , I could not find others to share a tour so gave up

Check on Trip advisor you may find a guide

I have to agree with the Old Bear.

On a cruise ship, Vimy Ridge is best visited from Zeebrugge (90 minutes), though the closest ferry port is Calais (60 mins).

There are other WW1 sights within an hour of Vimy Ridge - places like Amiens, Albert, Beaumont Hamel, Lochnagar and Thiepval, or in the opposite direction Ypres (significant Canadian involvement). Or between Vimy and Calais is the WW11 V2 launch site at La Coupole.

Because ships usually have a late sailaway from Le Havre you can make it to Vimy Ridge and back, but IMHO it's best saved for another time when you're closer and can combine it with other sights.

Juno beach is a much more worthwhile venue from Le Havre or Cherbourg - under 90 minutes from either , and Le Havre is usually a late sailaway. Plenty of time to combine the beach and Canadian Centre with Ardenne Abbey and one or two Brit / US D-Day sights like the American Cemetery at Utah Beach, or the Mulberry harbour at Arromanches-les-Bains, or Pegasus Bridge, taken by glider-borne paras just after midnight & the first D-Day objective seized.

Easy enough with a rented car, and a good chance of finding like-minded Canuks to share via your RollCall.

JB :)

I realize now that Vimy Ridge is too far from Le Havre, but we do have a stop in Zeebrugge, so might look at going to Vimy from there if it is closer.

We don't have a really long stay in Le Havre. I believe we depart at 5 or 6.

Perhaps I will look into Juno Beach. That might be a good alternative.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Forums mobile app

I realize now that Vimy Ridge is too far from Le Havre, but we do have a stop in Zeebrugge, so might look at going to Vimy from there if it is closer.

We don't have a really long stay in Le Havre. I believe we depart at 5 or 6.

Perhaps I will look into Juno Beach. That might be a good alternative.

A shame that it's not longer in Le Havre, most ships depart about 8pm. That definitely puts the kybosh on Vimy Ridge but certainly enough time for Juno and another D-Day sight or two. Drive-time to Juno (Courseulles-sur mer) 90 minutes each-way.

https://goo.gl/maps/toDmUHGxo1M2

With a 90 minute each-way drive from Zeebrugge you'll certainly have time for Vimy Ridge, you'll only need an hour or so there.

Plan to build in Ypres (on many maps & GPS it's "Ieper" - that starts with a capital I, not a lower-case l) on your way back.

Lots to see in and around Ypres - in town consider Menin Gate and the "In Flanders Fields" museum (large museum, needs a lot of time) , Tyne Cot cemetery a few miles away, and Hill 62 trenches & museum & Canadian memorial just a couple of miles out of town - the Hill 62 museum is a ramshackle privately-owned museum with stacks of artefacts, almost like a huge junk shop - the sort of museum that I prefer - and the trenches are right behind it. You'll not have time for all so choose a pecking-order, then allow 90 minutes to get back to the ship, plus time to return the car if renting.

https://goo.gl/maps/UftMnCEWbqM2

Or consider Ypres instead of Vimy Ridge. Vimy Ridge is mainly just cratered woodland and nothing else of interest close by. Ypres is much closer to Zeebrugge (saves an hour's driving), there's just as much Canadian involvement around Ypres, and lots of other WW1 sights.

Again, you might find sharers for a tour or rented car via your ship's RollCall - amongst Brits as well as Canuks, many will have aready visited Bruges (the main place of interest from Zeebrugge), and they'll be just as interested in Hill 62 as the other WW1 sights.

Just MHO as always.

Edited by John Bull

Thank you everyone for all the great advice and tips. I hadn't thought about renting a car.

There is a lot to think about and plan. Of course, Vimy Ridge is close to our hearts, having just celebrated the anniversary and my daughter attends Vimy Ridge Public School. But I have ruled it out for Le Havre.

We are in Le Havre a little longer than I thought - I double checked - 6:30am to 7pm. I spoke to my Dad, who I am cruising with, about Juno Beach. He seemed rather interested in that and we are going to focus our research there. And we will look at the other options for Belgium.

If you do decide to rent a car, check out the Enterprise location near the port. It's about a 10 minute walk from the pier and much, much cheaper than the rental car agency located in the port terminal.
Thank you for the tip. I was looking at the agency in the port and they want $70 on top of the rental price just to let us pick up the car when we dock! They say its outside of the regular hours.

Vimy Ridge is WELL WORTH VISITING! I cannot believe someone would say otherwise! I have accompanied school parties there, took my own family to see it and more recently my 2nd husband! I am not even Canadian. I have visited many of the WW1 (and II) Battlefields and cemeteries and rate Vimy highly. It is land given to Canada by France in recognition of the sacrifice of Canadian young men. The land has been left as it was at the end of the war - save it has grassed over ..... sheep graze it as they aren't in danger from unexploded shells but for the most part you are not allowed to roam freely in case of buried shells - the sheep keep the grass short.

Canadian students work there and lead tours through the tunnel systems - it is a most engaging experience. There is a museum showing what reality was like and then there is the white marble statue - Mother Canada represented sorrowing over her sons. It is a very emotional experience.

We had a 2 day Celebrity stay in Le Havre. I hired a car the first day and a Canadian couple from the roll call joined us on day 1 as I drove to Dieppe and the Canadian cemetery there with the dead from the abortive landing attempt that the Allies did in 1942 (I think) I knew Dieppe well from my exchange visits there as a teen and we spent some time there exploring. We later drove back and across the Seine and over to Honfleur to explore there. The 2nd day the Canadian couple were going to take the train to the nearest point to Vimy - Arras I reckoned. I dont know for sure but I reckon they then prob took a taxi to Vimy. They managed their whole day there - as in they didnt miss the ship. You might be better trying to link with a few other people and hire a minibus to drive from Le Havre> I would say it was doable if you are organised.

I rented a car from a place on Quai de Southampton - walkable I would say from the port if all are able bodied.

If you need any further info then pls email me... Helen.remfan@gmailDOTcom (substitute DOT for a .)

I have also been to Ypres, Menin Gate, Paschendale,etc and other notable sites.

Thank you for the tip. I was looking at the agency in the port and they want $70 on top of the rental price just to let us pick up the car when we dock! They say its outside of the regular hours.

I have rented in town and also at the pier. With limited time in port, I would pay for the convenience and the time it takes to get to/from the rental. As the highway to Bayeaux and Juno is close to the pier you’ll be on the road before the tours. It may cost more but it’s still a fraction of a ships tour.

I followed JBs instructions to Bayeaux (saw the tapestry) , bought pastries nearby, visited Juno Beach/museum, Benny-sur-mer Canadian cemetery, and Pegasus Bridge. Just be aware of the speed limit as photo radar is everywhere. I received a souvenir upon my return to Canada.

The museum at Juno beach is staffed by Canadians and DW found it interesting and informative. We spent more time at the cemetery than anticipated but DW insisted that we visit the soldiers furthest from the entrance as she felt that they were less likely to be visited. We found the day humbling and eye opening and would recommend it to any Canadians.

(assuming it's not a sunday)........

What time were you planning to get off the ship - I do wonder whether you can actually get off at 6.30.:confused:

The various rental agencies are open from 8.00 or 8.30, and if you are on their doorstep half an hour before they open you'll be at or very close to the front of any line & on the road within half an hour of their opening.

Traffic at that time of the morning will be mainly heading into Le Havre.

There should be no extra charge for returning the car after hours.

No toll roads involved to go to Juno & other D-Day sights, but a toll (about €6 cash or card) to cross the Pont de Normandie.

Yes, do heed lamchops' word about speed cameras - mainly on the fast A13.

Programme the rental agency's address into the GPS soonest, and refer to it from time to time during the day so that you know when you must head back. Add an hour for any delays (around Caen the traffic can be at a crawl at commuter-time, but will dissipate after you've crossed the Orne River bridge) - if you've not eaten into that wiggle-time by the time you approach the Pont de Normandie (crosses the Seine) you can take the ramp before the bridge & find a beer in the pretty resort/fishing port of Honfleur - it's only 5 minutes off your route & about half an hour from Le Havre.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2018 at 4:16 PM, HelenREMfan said:

Vimy Ridge is WELL WORTH VISITING! I cannot believe someone would say otherwise! I have accompanied school parties there, took my own family to see it and more recently my 2nd husband! I am not even Canadian. I have visited many of the WW1 (and II) Battlefields and cemeteries and rate Vimy highly. It is land given to Canada by France in recognition of the sacrifice of Canadian young men. The land has been left as it was at the end of the war - save it has grassed over ..... sheep graze it as they aren't in danger from unexploded shells but for the most part you are not allowed to roam freely in case of buried shells - the sheep keep the grass short.

Canadian students work there and lead tours through the tunnel systems - it is a most engaging experience. There is a museum showing what reality was like and then there is the white marble statue - Mother Canada represented sorrowing over her sons. It is a very emotional experience.

We had a 2 day Celebrity stay in Le Havre. I hired a car the first day and a Canadian couple from the roll call joined us on day 1 as I drove to Dieppe and the Canadian cemetery there with the dead from the abortive landing attempt that the Allies did in 1942 (I think) I knew Dieppe well from my exchange visits there as a teen and we spent some time there exploring. We later drove back and across the Seine and over to Honfleur to explore there. The 2nd day the Canadian couple were going to take the train to the nearest point to Vimy - Arras I reckoned. I dont know for sure but I reckon they then prob took a taxi to Vimy. They managed their whole day there - as in they didnt miss the ship. You might be better trying to link with a few other people and hire a minibus to drive from Le Havre> I would say it was doable if you are organised.

I rented a car from a place on Quai de Southampton - walkable I would say from the port if all are able bodied.

If you need any further info then pls email me... Helen.remfan@gmailDOTcom (substitute DOT for a .)

I have also been to Ypres, Menin Gate, Paschendale,etc and other notable sites.

Hi Helen,

I am Joy1 I am on a TA Cruise and we will be docking in Le Harve I just started my research and I came upon your thread by any chance have you found a Tour Operator that would pick us up at the Pier ? I am traveling with another couple so therefore I would only have to look for 4 more passengers to join us.  We will be in Le Harve  from 6:30 Am  to 7:00 Pm . Thinking  about going into the City Center, I know that the trip one way is 2 1/2 hours that's alot of time in that mini van. I would appreciate any information pertaining to private touring in a mini van for 8 passengers. 

Thank you

Joy1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:35 AM, HelenREMfan said:

Am afraid not Joy.... I did what we did independently and the Canadian couple went by train and taxi  I hired a car from a hire company just out of the port.

Thank you so very much.