Salerno Ferry to Positano help!

tink1974

hi please walk me thru how to get to the ferry and visit positano? Is Ferry service walking distance from cruise port area?

I think I want to be on the sea rather than load on a bus. Thoughts?

I wouldn’t mind doing a formal

Your visiting more of amalfi but we definitely do not want to go to Pompeii and most have that included, and trying to stay in a reasonable budget. Thanks:D so much!

Not sure who you are travelling with, what time of year and what time you dock but you will be in the large industrial port at Molo Manfredi. This link shows the ferry timetables https://www.positano.com/en/ferry-schedule?from=salerno&to=positano As you can see some are from Molo Manfredi and more from Piazza Concordia. Personally I would not pre-book tickets unless you are visiting at the height of the season as the weather/sea conditions could mean you may not wish to (or cannot) travel.

If you choose a ferry from Molo Manfredi I am sure others will be along to give advice but I have only travelled from Piazza Concordia, which is in town, so can give you instructions from there. When you arrive in port you will have to take the port shuttle out of the port and it will drop you in town. Last time we were in Salerno the shuttle buses dropped you at Piazza Santa Lucia but that was 3 or 4 years ago. In any case, wherever they drop you, you need to head for the ferry dock at Piazza Concordia which is along the waterfront and can easily be seen to the left if you are in town and facing the seas. Look for it on Googlemaps to get an idea of where it is. It's a 15 minute walk from Piazza Santa Lucia. There's a ticket office on the pier and the ferries hold a lot of people. On your way out sit on the right side of the boat to get the best views.

I would also check the timetables above to find out the most suitable time to return. Most of the daytime returns during cruise ship hours will be to Piazza Concordia so make sure you build in enough time to get from there to the shuttle bus stop and on the shuttle bus to the port

I think I want to be on the sea rather than load on a bus. Thoughts?

I only have experience westward from Amalfi.

But do research using a public bus from Salerno to Positano, then ferry back from Positano to Salerno.

Get seats on the left side of the bus if you can.

The views from the (elevated from Amalfi to Positano) coast road are amazing, far better than from a boat.

Buses drop on the main coast road at the top of Positano, you then walk down to the town & harbour, and take the ferry back to Salerno.

That gives you views from both perspectives.

Do it that way round - delays are more likely on the road than on the sea, and it's a whole lot easier to walk down from coast road to Positano harbour than the long up-hill slog in the opposite direction. :eek:

But do carefully check your time in port, the location of bus and ferry stops in Salerno, and timetables for both buses and ferries.

And if local experts like Eurocruiser have different opinions, take their advice rather than mine.

JB :)

JB's suggestion will cost you a little time as it takes longer to get from Salerno to Positano by bus but it does give you both perspectives, which may be worth the time.

The bus from Salerno to Amalfi takes 75 minutes, then another 40 minutes from Amalfi to Positano vs. the 70 minutes total by ferry.

I wholeheartedly agree that if you want to try this that the bus in the morning and the ferry in the afternoon is the way to go.

Salerno to Amalfi bus schedule: https://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/d16a231e-b472-488f-9593-b6a1239beadf_5120_autunno2018.pdf/0

Amalfi to Positano bus schedule: https://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/3fad3efa-372d-4b42-9c66-eace76049252_5070_AUTUNNO_2018_2.pdf/0

The bus stop closest to the cruise port in Salerno is at Piazza Luciani Mattero, which is just to the right (with your back to the port) of the intersection of Via Stanislao Lista and SS18.

Edited by euro cruiser