Woman medevaced from Star Princess

TucsonRick

What an interesting perspective to watch the evacuation from above! We were onboard as well, in a port side balcony. My roommate woke up to the Captain's announcement asking everyone to clear the open decks and for those on the port side to keep their balcony doors closed. We were able to see the helicopter hovering off the side of the ship but it would disappear from our view when it was lowering and raising the rope and basket. It was a very quick process.

This was my second time witnessing an evacuation. The first time was on the Dawn Princess off the coast of Mexico and a young girl had appendicitis. I think the cruise ships and rescue personnel are very safe and efficient with this evacuation process! Hope the woman is doing well.

We witnessed an evacuation from up above in Skywalkers! A helicopter hovered over our moving ship without a single bobble or wobble! The helicopter sent down the basket and the ill person was loaded into the basket and pulled up. Then they sent down the basket again for the suitcase. While all this was happening a C-130 was circling the ship!! WOW! Very impressive flying on both their parts!

We have never seen an air evacuation but did have an evacuation in a port on our last cruise. I sincerely hope that neither I or my wife are ever evacuees. This is one of the reasons we have MedjetAssist. If we ever do have to be evacuated we would rather come home than go to a hospital in some other country.

MedjetAssist requires you to be medically stable in a local medical facility before they will transport you to your home hospital, so you may not be able to avoid the hospital in some other country.

I was on board this cruise! My young son was served a blood red hamburger for lunch and then blood red meatballs for dinner on monday September 17. We were furious and so worried about him but both times i caught it almost right away. Im wondering if this is what happened to her. To be medivacted out is pretty serious and costs the Coast Guard thousands. So if its negligence on the Princess cooking staff thats pretty bad!!!!

I was on board this cruise! My young son was served a blood red hamburger for lunch and then blood red meatballs for dinner on monday September 17. We were furious and so worried about him but both times i caught it almost right away. Im wondering if this is what happened to her. To be medivacted out is pretty serious and costs the Coast Guard thousands. So if its negligence on the Princess cooking staff thats pretty bad!!!!

What a ridiculous post. People can get air-lifted off a ship for a whole host of medical reasons - usually more serious than food poisoning.

Huh? Welcome to Cruise Critic..............

What a ridiculous post. People can get air-lifted off a ship for a whole host of medical reasons - usually more serious than food poisoning.

The article said Gastrointestinal issues. I’m worried the lady had Ecoli or food poisoning. To be airlifted off for gastro issues is pretty serious.

The article said Gastrointestinal issues. I’m worried the lady had Ecoli or food poisoning. To be airlifted off for gastro issues is pretty serious.

The ship has a decently sophisticated med center; also, their kitchens and cooking standards, if you take a tour, are very high for cleanliness as well as getting food "done". They cook for thousands of people a day, so they aren't in the business of undercooked meat. Not saying that I don't believe you about the "blood red meatballs", etc., but you just joined and your only posts are about potential for food poisoning?:evilsmile::halo::evilsmile::halo:

The ship has a decently sophisticated med center; also, their kitchens and cooking standards, if you take a tour, are very high for cleanliness as well as getting food "done". They cook for thousands of people a day, so they aren't in the business of undercooked meat. Not saying that I don't believe you about the "blood red meatballs", etc., but you just joined and your only posts are about potential for food poisoning?:evilsmile::halo::evilsmile::halo:

Except the MDR menu always has a warning that says:

*Consuming undercooked or raw meats, poultry, seafood, shell fish or eggs may

increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.

There is a reason for doing that don't you think.

Except the MDR menu always has a warning that says:

*Consuming undercooked or raw meats, poultry, seafood, shell fish or eggs may

increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.

There is a reason for doing that don't you think.

Check most fine dining restaurants. That is found on their menus. It is because people like to order things like rare steak. I was referring to the poster saying that their meatballs were bloody, etc., which would be undercooked by staff, not by customer request. Cruise ships go well out of their way to avoid food borne illness, especially one so easily avoided.

I find it incredible that they don't have helipads on the ships for this exact reason.

Ships move, pitch, and roll; you need a LSE (the guy in the yellow jersey). For as

often as any given cruise ship needs a medivac, any LSE wouldn't get enough

live practice to remain certified.

I've been on Emerald when she went to Flight Quarters. Even with a hovering

helicopter, it wasn't nearly as simple as you might expect. The crew spent over

an hour clearing away rigging and whatnot (and more after, putting it all back),

and the weather decks plus all the cabins in the fire-door section on the decks,

plural, below the pickup point were cleared of passengers.

I just got a giggle from the San Francisco Chronicle. They have a story about the Coast Guard lifting an ill woman from the Star off the coast of California. The article includes a photo of the Star, the old Star from 1989.

It is funny that the thread has gone from showing the 'Fake News' of the San Francisco Chronicle placing the wrong photo of the wrong ship leaving the wrong port to posters professing concern for the ill passenger to what type of insurance one should have and whether or not the Coast Guard charges for rescues. Folks- the OP was humorous showing the lack of fact checking the newspaper does before they 'authoritatively' tell us what is going on.

I don't think we need to know what your meatballs looked like on your last cruise.

It is funny that the thread has gone from showing the 'Fake News' of the San Francisco Chronicle placing the wrong photo of the wrong ship leaving the wrong port to posters professing concern for the ill passenger to what type of insurance one should have and whether or not the Coast Guard charges for rescues. Folks- the OP was humorous showing the lack of fact checking the newspaper does before they 'authoritatively' tell us what is going on.

I don't think we need to know what your meatballs looked like on your last cruise.

Its Cruise Critic.

I get it guys I just joined and I posted something negative. I was worried the lady’s illness had something to do with what I experienced. Hope she will be ok.

You're new, so you haven't figured out yet that we do not all think "no negatives".

If you don't believe me just open one of the "food is getting worse threads". ;)

Welcome to CC. ...and, yeah, 99.9% of us hope she'll be ok, too.

Your post was fine. Many threads grow in subject matter covered.

Thanks! I never go on forums as I don’t not like negativity aimed at me. I’m not a dishonest person at all, have nothing to prove. Didn’t mean to puss anyone off. Thank you for your response.

You're new, so you haven't figured out yet that we do not all think "no negatives".

If you don't believe me just open one of the "food is getting worse threads". ;)

Welcome to CC. ...and, yeah, 99.9% of us hope she'll be ok, too.

Thank you very much. I never go on forums as I don’t like to argue with strangers on line. I don’t like the feeling it gives me 😳

I have a letter from the ship to send to the head office of princess that states he was served raw meatballs in the dining room. No one has to believe me but thanks for being nice to a newbie! :D

Thank you very much. I never go on forums as I don’t like to argue with strangers on line. I don’t like the feeling it gives me

I have a letter from the ship to send to the head office of princess that states he was served raw meatballs in the dining room. No one has to believe me but thanks for being nice to a newbie! :D

Stay with it. I have been disagreed with many times but that's ok as everyone has an opinion. Sorry if my reply to you was terse - I just thought it was a bit of a stretch linking uncooked food (which I agree is very poor) to a medivac.

I'd much rather argue with strangers on-line than face to face with people I know.

Just remembered a farcical medivac a few years ago on the Star.Santiago to Rio.1st day at sea,ship radioed Chilean coastguard for medivac.2 hrs later it turned out they forgot to tell the ship that no copters were available.We sailed back to meet a coastguard cutter another 2 hrs in the other direction.After numerous attempts to link up at the shelldoor gangway even though the sea was calm,the cutter driver bottled out of it.We then had to launch a lifeboat with the poor sod in it to transfer.They eventually transferred the patient after many attempts due to different heights of the 2 vessels.We missed Punta Arenas.No idea how the patient survived the ordeal or not.

MedjetAssist requires you to be medically stable in a local medical facility before they will transport you to your home hospital, so you may not be able to avoid the hospital in some other country.

It also does not cover the transportation/med evac from the ship to a hospital. It also requires a runway capable of handling the jets they use accessible from the hospital.

Stay with it. I have been disagreed with many times but that's ok as everyone has an opinion. Sorry if my reply to you was terse - I just thought it was a bit of a stretch linking uncooked food (which I agree is very poor) to a medivac.

I'd much rather argue with strangers on-line than face to face with people I know.

:) Thanks. I don’t enjoy arguing period.

I’m a newbie here and in the cruise world. Only been on 2 and my first time was AMAZING (Florida depart) I even made my mom join us as I spoke so highly about Princess. This time was a horrible nightmare! Maybe the east coast is better? :confused:

:) Thanks. I don’t enjoy arguing period.

I’m a newbie here and in the cruise world. Only been on 2 and my first time was AMAZING (Florida depart) I even made my mom join us as I spoke so highly about Princess. This time was a horrible nightmare! Maybe the east coast is better? :confused:

Wow! Horrible nightmare are strong words. What went wrong? I was on this cruise too, and aside from the internet signing itself onto my 80 year old M-I-L's phone the last day with a $199 package (the passenger services guy was rude but Alan at the internet café was able to remove all but $7.90) we had a lovely time.