Celebrity to Princess and I am lost

TXRed

We are surprising our son and DIL with this cruise for their Christmas gift. X left on Friday and we would have to fly in to Seattle on Thursday...meaning my son would be taking 2 works days off . Princess sails on Sunday. So he would not have to take extra days off. We can fly in on Saturday and still be able to go to Pike's Market. That's the only reason.

I was on a Princess cruise to Alaska 9 years ago, and they did a really great job there. I haven't sailed Celebrity, but have sailed a lot of different lines, and found that the mainstream lines are more similar than different, so I think this will really work out well for you.

Oh, and please book your excursions independently - Alaska is very small, and it is easy to get to your independent excursions. The excursions are quite expensive due to the limited tour season and need to import everything (including labor). My signature line describes our excursions, and my favorites were the Bering Sea tour (where you learn about crab fishing), a helicopter to a dogsled through Temsco, and hiking after taking the Mt. Roberts tramway. Have a great trip!

The speciality restaurants might share the same menus but the standard and quality differs from ship to ship. We've always found it's best to wait a few days and ask around to see what those who've already been have to say about their experience. Same goes for the standard of the pub lunch regardless of where it is served.

Thanks so much for your reply. Happy to read that even though there are 'formal' nights resort wear is also an option.

I do love scones and afternoon tea. Usually can't get the guys to do formal nights...but I think a dress shirt and tie will be doable for them. I checked Princess website and it is more user friendly. Thanks for your reply and information.

Although many people love to dress up for the formal nights, Princess is very lenient in what they allow to be worn in the DR's.

Simple dressy casual is all that's really required if you so choose.

I was on a Princess cruise to Alaska 9 years ago, and they did a really great job there. I haven't sailed Celebrity, but have sailed a lot of different lines, and found that the mainstream lines are more similar than different, so I think this will really work out well for you.

Oh, and please book your excursions independently - Alaska is very small, and it is easy to get to your independent excursions. The excursions are quite expensive due to the limited tour season and need to import everything (including labor). My signature line describes our excursions, and my favorites were the Bering Sea tour (where you learn about crab fishing), a helicopter to a dogsled through Temsco, and hiking after taking the Mt. Roberts tramway. Have a great trip!

We actually booked a cruise to Alaska several years ago but cancelled when I became ill. So it's all new again... will check our your recommendations and thank you very much

Although many people love to dress up for the formal nights, Princess is very lenient in what they allow to be worn in the DR's.

Simple dressy casual is all that's really required if you so choose.

We have sailed RCCL out of Galveston several times and there was always an argument about 'Texas' dressing for 'formal' nights. The last couple we were on many males were in nicely pressed jeans, boots and hats....and we loved it!

The speciality restaurants might share the same menus but the standard and quality differs from ship to ship. We've always found it's best to wait a few days and ask around to see what those who've already been have to say about their experience. Same goes for the standard of the pub lunch regardless of where it is served.

X often offers 30-50% off the specialty restaurants on departure evening...does Princess do this??

Worth keeping an eye on your patter for, a nice change

We certainly will...my son is a very detailed person and will read everything fully...LOL, trust me on that one ...but we love him anyway ♥

We certainly will...my son is a very detailed person and will read everything fully...LOL, trust me on that one ...but we love him anyway ♥

We have one just like that ;p. In fact, he was the one that told us about the pub lunch - day, time and place :cool:.

We have sailed RCCL out of Galveston several times and there was always an argument about 'Texas' dressing for 'formal' nights. The last couple we were on many males were in nicely pressed jeans, boots and hats....and we loved it!

Sounds nice at home for a local bar or restaurant but I'm not sure I'd like to haul a pair of boots to the ship.

X often offers 30-50% off the specialty restaurants on departure evening...does Princess do this??

No, no discounts. Sometimes through the travel agents there will be a 2 for 1 specialty restaurant coupon in a coupon book left in the cabin. But I have not seen that in awhile.

The specialty restaurants are usually pretty full anyway.

We have one just like that ;p. In fact, he was the one that told us about the pub lunch - day, time and place :cool:.

Sometimes they are a blessing :halo:and other times a curse:evilsmile:

Sounds nice at home for a local bar or restaurant but I'm not sure I'd like to haul a pair of boots to the ship.

I suspect you have never lived in Texas ... a man and his boots...they just go together

No, no discounts. Sometimes through the travel agents there will be a 2 for 1 specialty restaurant coupon in a coupon book left in the cabin. But I have not seen that in awhile.

The specialty restaurants are usually pretty full anyway.

Thanks...darn it...I think my travel agent hates me...LOL...

Another question....we chose anytime dining...simply because we have never tried it and thought it would be a good option for us... when we are on vacation we prefer not to have to be on a schedule if we don't have to. Any comments on the pros or cons of anytime dining? Personally I love having the same waiter every meal but am looking forward to not having to eat at a specific time.

When we were on the Ruby in January, there was a man who wore a kilt on formal night.

We just changed our Alaska cruise from Celebrity to Princess Star, May 2019...so I have a few questions. I have been reading some but my husband wants me to ask .... C no longer has 'formal nights' on their Alaska sailing (not sure of any other destinations) Does Princess still have formals nights? Is the coffee card worth it? Is the coffee really that bad? Are the specialty restaurants worth the price? I am sure I have many more and I will try to find the answers before asking. Thanks

The regular coffee in the buffet is made from a syrup. It was god awful 7 years ago when we last sailed and I was shocked to see they still serve it. Even Royal Caribbean has real coffee in the buffet. If you like coffee, yes the coffee card is worth it. Im getting one for our Crown sailing in November. Better yet, get an AeroPress and make your own coffee with hot water. Its a french press without the mess. I may bring mine along with ground coffee.

When we were on the Ruby in January, there was a man who wore a kilt on formal night.

Oh how neat!! On one cruise we were on there was a group of ppl from India that wore traditional clothing on formal nights. They looked very regal.

Lived !

How can you tell?

I'm still trying to talk the wife into taking a drive trip there someday. :)

Oh I hope you are able to convince her...she will not regret it...from Galveston to the Hill Country...Texas has something for everyone.

The regular coffee in the buffet is made from a syrup. It was god awful 7 years ago when we last sailed and I was shocked to see they still serve it. Even Royal Caribbean has real coffee in the buffet. If you like coffee, yes the coffee card is worth it. Im getting one for our Crown sailing in November. Better yet, get an AeroPress and make your own coffee with hot water. Its a french press without the mess. I may bring mine along with ground coffee.

Thanks for your reply....I will bring my French Press. I use it at home often and will check out the AeroPress...thanks for the suggestion!!

There will be 2 formal nights. My DH and I are fine with the free, regular coffee. The brewed at the Intl. Cafe is better, though. The Coffee Card gives you the equivalent of a discount on each drink, so if you plan on ordering large froufrou drinks, it’s a good value. If you plan on order one regular drip coffee a day, it might not be. Also, to make it worth it, you need to use all 15 punches during your cruise because it’s now a use it or lose it card. Crown Grill is definitely worth it. Check out the menu for Sabatinis to decide; we used to love it but aren’t as enthralled by it anymore. I haven’t tried Crab Shack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't help you with feedback on the ATD...we always do the TD (late seating). We actually find the late seating to be a little more laid back and when it comes to scheduling, we know how/when to fit other events in based on our dinner time. And if something should come up, we just eat elsewhere that night. On top of that, we never spend 15, 20, or 30 minutes waiting in line to get seated. And, yes, like you, we really enjoy having the same wait staff every night and getting to know them!

Thank you for your reply. I think I might just get the coffee credit...

My wife and I used the coffee card quite a bit. The International Cafe was one of our favorite hangouts on the Ruby last August and I would get a cup of brewed coffee along with a specialty drink for my wife. We did not use all the specialty coffee credit but the brewed coffee and specialty teas were worth the expense for us.

On the Royal in June the TD Maitre D was informed that I have an 'issue' with black pepper (throat gets tight) so we picked out the following days dinner each evening. One night I told him I was going to go to Alfredo's the next day. So he helped me set up an appointment time. Boy was I surprised when I got there! Their maitre d came out and welcomed me sitting me at a table. Then he brought me a beautiful plate of antipasto. He followed that with a salad. Then a wonderful minestrone so good that i repeated it the following night. He followed that with a smaller than normal pizza which was great because I was the only one there. I'm a solo and the pizza was so much better than on the horizon deck, actually as good as I get for my local hole-in-the-wall pizzeria back home. He followed that with vegetarian lasagna and a nice glass of red wine. By this time I time I am overly stuffed and wondering why I went to Sabatini earlier on the cruise since I got everything in Alfredo's. So I got up to leave and he comes over quickly and says my tiramisu and triple long black (after dinner coffee of choice which is what I always got in the main dining room) would be out in just a few moments, would I like to wait? The food was delicious.

I understand that sabatini's is wonderful and a great bargain for $29. Alfredo's is a better bargain for free