Think I made a boo-boo

claudiniusmaximus

It might be Shepp. It’s doing the southbound route a couple of days earlier so it’s possible. I don’t really know anything about the coral though and not many recent vids of island on YouTube either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best ship in Alaska!

Nailed it! For scenic viewing there is no better ship in the fleet than Coral Princess. Fore and aft viewing decks on both Baja and Caribe decks. Wide promenade that goes all around the ship. Absolutely love the ship. Sailed 17 days on her through the Panama Canal and doing another 19 day on her in November.

However, you have already booked and, due to restrictions where you are, it would cost a penalty to change. I would just go on the cruise on the ship you have booked and have a fantastic cruise. :D

Thanks greatestvalue

Yeah we spent two weeks doing national parks in America a few years ago ending in SF. Loved it all but doing a city at the end was a real shock to the system.

Am liking look of the coral. Not as posh as sapphire maybe (and def not as posh as royal) but can see she’s a good option for Alaska.

Thanks thrak, colo and Pam

Wishing I’d checked on here before booking now!

Like you say Thrak it’s booked now. It’s £100 admin fee to change but flights are flexible and hotels too it’s a princess package.

It will all depend on what sort of quote Princess can offer as finances are major factor.

Agree royal has best/poshest inside spaces. If sapphire was going I’d book that as it has combo of good inside and out. Golden is possible too. I love idea of going on a ship designed specifically for Alaska.

I should have done more research before booking. I was so impressed with sapphire and “princess experience” that when I saw all the vids of royal I was “wowee” and didn’t even know there was no promenade etc.

I’ll see what the quotes come in at.

FWIW the only cruise ship I didn’t like was p&o Aurora. All the lounges were small and “seperate/closed off” limiting people viewing. Celebrity reflection stunning but no view of outside from inside. P&o Arcadia fab crows nest and promenade. Sapphire had great style.

There are some great viewing spots on the Royal on Promenade deck, complete with loungers.

Yes, these are great viewing spots. But the problem is that 3600+ passengers are looking for a great place for magnificent views. Only a few hundred can be at the railing on the Promenade deck.

Stay with the Royal. It is an absolutely lovely ship. Everyone will find a spot for viewing and I believe many people with balconies will be sitting on their personal balcony relaxing and enjoying a beverage of choice as they watch the gorgeous scenery go by. Not all 3,600 will be trying to get a spot on the public deck. Princess would never of decided to put Royal on the Alaska route if it was going to cause them to lose Alaska travelers. Princess has been doing the Alaska route forever and they know what will work and what won’t. I have been on the Royal twice and we are going on it again for 14 days in November to the Caribbean. I don’t think you made a bad choice at all. Go on your cruise and enjoy every minute of it. The Royal is a wonderful ship!!!!

It might be Shepp. It’s doing the southbound route a couple of days earlier so it’s possible. I don’t really know anything about the coral though and not many recent vids of island on YouTube either

To echo Thrak: The Coral is the same size and design as the Island, but instead of the added aft cabins she has lovely ship-wide aft protected viewing areas on Baja and Caribe. There's also a full promenade and because the ship is relatively narrow it's easier to get from one side of the promenade deck to the other. Has the best passenger/space ratio in the fleet, though compared to the Royal, it's "cozy" rather than "impressive." Still, I like cozy.

To echo Thrak: The Coral is the same size and design as the Island, but instead of the added aft cabins she has lovely ship-wide aft protected viewing areas on Baja and Caribe. There's also a full promenade and because the ship is relatively narrow it's easier to get from one side of the promenade deck to the other. Has the best passenger/space ratio in the fleet, though compared to the Royal, it's "cozy" rather than "impressive." Still, I like cozy.

I would book any other Princess ship before I booked Island Princess. We had a cruise on Coral Princess and loved it. The very next cruise we had was on Island Princess. Night and day. We would head aft and "run out of ship" over and over. What they did to Island Princess is disgraceful.

Stay with the Royal. It is an absolutely lovely ship. Everyone will find a spot for viewing and I believe many people with balconies will be sitting on their personal balcony relaxing and enjoying a beverage of choice as they watch the gorgeous scenery go by. Not all 3,600 will be trying to get a spot on the public deck. Princess would never of decided to put Royal on the Alaska route if it was going to cause them to lose Alaska travelers. Princess has been doing the Alaska route forever and they know what will work and what won’t. I have been on the Royal twice and we are going on it again for 14 days in November to the Caribbean. I don’t think you made a bad choice at all. Go on your cruise and enjoy every minute of it. The Royal is a wonderful ship!!!!

Now I’ve never been on Royal, but I’m sure it was docked next to our ship (X Eclipse) last Christmas in the Caribbean. The thing that struck me about it was the very small balconies compared to any other Princess ships. We have just returned from The Grand to Alaska and had a great sized balcony on Caribe deck, but there didn’t appear to be any of that size in the regular balconies on Royal (we always look at other ships for future sailings :)). I know this is a moot point as the OP isn’t considering a balcony cabin, however, I would have thought that many more pax would possibly go to public areas rather than view the glaciers from the smaller balconies on Royal than one of the Grand class ships?

As I stated above, I’ve not sailed on Royal and can only give my opinion from afar. Just wondered if it was the case with the very small balconies on Royal or if there was indeed something I may have missed? Are they really that much smaller than the balconies on Grand Class Caribe deck? The chairs looked like they were angled to fit.

Thanks Potstech - what spots would you recommend for open viewing having been on her? (bearing in mind most people will be on deck for the glaciers at once I reckon).

I’ve only got YouTube and google images so would value the experience of someone whose been on her.

That is correct as far as most people will be on deck. There is plenty of space as well as by the aft pool area. The Sports Deck and others are the best place. They are usually only really crowded when the ship goes into Glacier National Park. Then when you get the fartherest in the Captian will slowly rotate the ship to give all the great views they expect. By moving around the ship you will not be disappointed at the views. Enjoy your cruise and the Regal

I don’t know if anyone is around but possibly about to book e311 on coral princess.

Total cost to change and upgrade to obstructed OV is around £250 each including the few to change the booking (but the hotel in Vancouver is upgraded to Fairmont and we get an extra night in anchorage at end). Odd the way the prices roll I guess it’s down to flights etc.

We’re happy with that. Just quickly asking on views of 311. Seems ok. View looks partially obstructed we don’t mind at all just thought would mention cabin number see if anyone had any thoughts. Did a quick search nothing awful came up.

(It’s the cheapest cabin we can choose ourselves - anything cheaper is guarantee only).

Is there a particular reason you are choosing the NorthBound over the Southbound.

We did Southbound on the Coral....

We started out staking out a spot on the Promenade. Then realized when it came to the real viewing, coming into the glaciers etc... we went up higher to really get that spectacular viewpoint!

IMO - Promenade is still the best place.

Ok that’s booked.

Just want to say a huge thank you for everyone’s help. Feel very positive about the booking. It’s a couple of hundred quid extra but we get some natural light, an upgraded hotel and a night in anchorage but most importantly a ship designed for Alaska viewings.

It’s been so useful getting your input. Really really appreciate it.

Coral is a wonderful choice, I do not think you will be disappointed with your Alaska experience on her.

I want to clear up something that is my understanding and I did a search about Coral and Island too. They were built as twins, until Island was ruined.

Coral and Island are known as Panamax. Here is a quote from the link below.

"Built to travel the Panama Canal" (Not Alaska as stated previously) But, I do believe Coral is absolutely a GREAT! ship for Alaska and remains one of my favorites.

BE SURE TO FIND THE SECRET DOOR, I BELIEVE DECK 8, OUT TO THE BOW. IT IS WONDERFUL TO BE OUT THERE ON THE BOW IN GLACIER BAY

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruises/coral-princess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamax

The Fairmont is right by Canada Place so you can walk to the area for getting on the ship. There are some great places to see in Vancouver like Stanley Park and the Capilano Park to name just two. Lots of places within walking distance and great little bistros and places to eat. We are lucky as our daughter lives there soshe shows us all the out of the way places to go to. If you like Oriental Food try the Jade Dynasty in the Chinatown area. If Aussie themed find the Moose Down Under on Pender St. Get a day pass and use the buses and Skytrain to get around. Taxis are high.

Enjoy your trip.

Ok that’s booked.

Just want to say a huge thank you for everyone’s help. Feel very positive about the booking. It’s a couple of hundred quid extra but we get some natural light, an upgraded hotel and a night in anchorage but most importantly a ship designed for Alaska viewings.

It’s been so useful getting your input. Really really appreciate it.

The Coral is a wonderful ship and it seems like you made the right choice based on the misgivings you had about the Royal (which we think would have been great too). As others have mentioned, the Coral has the bonus of the "secret" viewing areas fore and aft on most passenger decks so you'll have lots of other places to see the Glaciers and other sights in Alaska. Some decks (like Caribe aft) are wide enough to have some loungers. Enjoy your cruise - Alaska never fails to amaze!

I don’t know if anyone is around but possibly about to book e311 on coral princess.

Total cost to change and upgrade to obstructed OV is around £250 each including the few to change the booking (but the hotel in Vancouver is upgraded to Fairmont and we get an extra night in anchorage at end). Odd the way the prices roll I guess it’s down to flights etc.

We’re happy with that. Just quickly asking on views of 311. Seems ok. View looks partially obstructed we don’t mind at all just thought would mention cabin number see if anyone had any thoughts. Did a quick search nothing awful came up.

(It’s the cheapest cabin we can choose ourselves - anything cheaper is guarantee only).

Check it out here:

https://sites.google.com/site/coralislandprincess/home/cabins-311--335

The Fairmont is right by Canada Place so you can walk to the area for getting on the ship. There are some great places to see in Vancouver like Stanley Park and the Capilano Park to name just two. Lots of places within walking distance and great little bistros and places to eat. We are lucky as our daughter lives there soshe shows us all the out of the way places to go to. If you like Oriental Food try the Jade Dynasty in the Chinatown area. If Aussie themed find the Moose Down Under on Pender St. Get a day pass and use the buses and Skytrain to get around. Taxis are high.

Enjoy your trip.

Minor amendment - since OP didn't actually say WHICH Fairmont, distances to pier and sightseeing are variable;-) Waterfront is right across the street, Pacific Rim (swankiest!) a couple of blocks down the road, Vancouver (oldest, but most recently-renoed) is a half-mile away. The only really bad option is the airport one - which involves 25mins each way on SkyTrain. They're all 4* or better hotels - but make sure to sign up for their points club OP, as that way you get free WiFi!

Lastly, since this is a package, be aware that transportation to hotel and then to pier is probably bundled OP - booking the exact same hotel independently could save you a packet by unbundling transport (which Princess, like all cruiselines, charge an arm and leg for in Vancouver - you can ride about in limos for cheaper if there are 3+ of you!) and also avoiding a 'per person' hotel room charge which jacks up rates for couples. Being UK-based I assume you have booked through UK arm of Princess or a local TA, so won't have the flexibility of cancellation/changes that North Americans enjoy - but I'd check the price of the hotel on your dates per room, allow for $35 for a cab from the airport and $0-$10 for cab to the pier depending which Fairmont, and see if you save enough to be worth another change fee (or since you already paid one, maybe they'll be nice and let you change again with 24-48hours without additional charge...)

Hi

It’s the Fairmont waterfront.

I definitely could have got the flights cheaper going independently based on their website quotes but they wouldn’t have been flexible.

I wouldn’t have gone for such a high end hotel if I’d booked independently. And I wouldn’t have included the night in anchorage. And I would have gone for train transfers where possible etc.

But the saving was minimal (£75 per person). I think they must have such good deals with the hotels that overall it works out.

So for the sake of a nicer hotel, the night in anchorage, the transfers and having “a package” protected by ATOL etc I was happy to pay the £75 extra this time. I probably would go independently again if there were less elements to worry about (flights, two hotels, three transfers, the cruise itself etc). If I was just flying short haul and one hotel I’d def be more likely to book it myself.

Interesting side note: I asked two travel agents to give me a quote for the same package. One charged more and another didn’t bother calling back.

Will def sign up for the loyalty scheme you mentioned excellent tip thanks. I see the Fairmont Banff springs in my future one day!!