Princess pulled the bait and switch on our beverage package. Do I have any recourse?

TheTonkster

Hi Everyone, my family of 8 just recently sailed with Princess for the second time. Our cruise was last month and when we got our deposit confirmation, we had, in writing, that we had the SIP and SAIL promotion that came with an option of the "free all inclusive beverage package." This was July 4th, 2017 and our sail date was August 11, 2018. When we got on the boat, we were told by Reception that our "Free all inclusive beverage package" was now a "Premium" beverage package with drinks being capped at 15 per day. We were told this included coffee, water and soft drinks. I really feel this is a bait and switch. Members of my family hit their drink limit every day. I feel selling someone an "unlimited" drink package and then once on the boat, switching the package is a case of fraud. Do you think I have any recourse in this situation? During the cruise, I complained to reception but it did not get me anywhere. I didn't even think to show them the printed out deposit we had stating that we had the unlimited drink package. I also wrote to customer service through the online survey post cruise and have not heard anything. We will probably not sail Princess again. Any words of encouragement? Or is this just a lesson learned?

You really need to read the Terms & Conditions of the packages you purchase because this is normally on the bottom of all descriptions:

"Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update the terms and conditions of our beverage packages at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply."

The T&C of the Sip + Sail promo explicitly states that the beverage package rules in effect at the time of sailing will apply, which are certainly subject to change subsequent to booking.

One aspect actually changed in your favor: the price ceiling on included beverages was raised from $10 to $12. But the 15 drink limit per day applies only to alcoholic beverages; coffee drinks, soda, water and the like remain unlimited. Whomever told you otherwise was mistaken.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The 15 drink limit is only for alcoholic beverages. All of the other times are unlimited.

You're not saying that they refused you fountain drinks because of the 15 drink limit are you??

I was told by reception that the "Premium" package which we had, had a 15 drink max that included soft drinks, coffee, bottled water and alcohol. I asked specifically if the 15 drink max only pertained to alcohol or if the drink max included coffee, soft drinks and bottle water. The person at reception said it included everything not just alcohol. We were never denied soft drinks as we only drank them in the afternoon. We definitely were denied bottle water at the end of the night because of our 15 max limit.

Our first Sip and Sail cruise was in December 2016/January 2017. We had reserved it in July 2015 the first time Sip and Sail was offered. It was great - especially on a 31 day cruise.

We cruised last October under a Sip and Sail package purchased 15 months (July 2016) earlier and knew to expect the change because of the brouhaha here on cruise critic this time last year when the change was implemented. We had one surprise this summer when we sailed on a cruise booked in June 2017. I have to admit that it hadn't registered with me (or I was having a senior moment) that the previous 40% discount on bottles of wine is now 25% (we hadn't ordered any bottles of wine on the October cruise). I checked with the passenger services folks and they explained the change.

I do think that Princess could have avoided misunderstandings and improved their customer services if they emailed everyone with the promo the changes, especially considering it was a major and popular promo.

Between the two cruises under the new package we had 10 adults and the closest anyone came to the 15 alcoholic drink limit was one person who consumed 13 drinks on one sea day so we had no problem with the 15 drink limit and on the original cruise I am sure none of us (4 passengers) came near the 15 alcoholic drink limit. We have another cruise with Sip and Sail next June.

Hi Everyone, my family of 8 just recently sailed with Princess for the second time. Our cruise was last month and when we got our deposit confirmation, we had, in writing, that we had the SIP and SAIL promotion that came with an option of the "free all inclusive beverage package." This was July 4th, 2017 and our sail date was August 11, 2018. When we got on the boat, we were told by Reception that our "Free all inclusive beverage package" was now a "Premium" beverage package with drinks being capped at 15 per day. We were told this included coffee, water and soft drinks. I really feel this is a bait and switch. Members of my family hit their drink limit every day. I feel selling someone an "unlimited" drink package and then once on the boat, switching the package is a case of fraud. Do you think I have any recourse in this situation? During the cruise, I complained to reception but it did not get me anywhere. I didn't even think to show them the printed out deposit we had stating that we had the unlimited drink package. I also wrote to customer service through the online survey post cruise and have not heard anything. We will probably not sail Princess again. Any words of encouragement? Or is this just a lesson learned?

Not once the cruise is over. When you boarded you might have been able to switch to a different option if the free beverage option was not acceptable due to the changes. I suspect you still got more value out of the beverage package if you were close to maxing out than the other options.

Bottom line when you started using it you basically accepted the terms.

Thanks for responses. Live and learn. I wish they would state "Princess Cruises may modify, amend, or update the terms and conditions of our beverage packages at any time with or without notice to guests." on the booking confirmation we received. I also wish we had been given a heads up in terms of an email or mailer as to when our package was changed. Per some of our bartenders, the boat made the switch from "unlimited" to "premium" two months prior to our departure. Also, I wish we had been told accurate information about the beverage package by Reception. I will make sure I look long and hard for that fine print for our next family cruise - although it definitely won't be with Princess. ;p Thanks again to those responses that were helpful.

I don't thin there is any recourse now you have already disembarked but as others have mentioned, the coffee, sodas, water, juices are included in the package but not in the 15 drink limit, which only applies to alcoholic beverages.

You can write a complaint and you may get some discount or onboard credit for a future cruise but wouldn't count on getting any other compensation returned to you.

Sorry! ;(

I was told by reception that the "Premium" package which we had, had a 15 drink max that included soft drinks, coffee, bottled water and alcohol. I asked specifically if the 15 drink max only pertained to alcohol or if the drink max included coffee, soft drinks and bottle water. The person at reception said it included everything not just alcohol. We were never denied soft drinks as we only drank them in the afternoon. We definitely were denied bottle water at the end of the night because of our 15 max limit.

When I had the PBP (current rules) on Royal Princess last November once the bar waiters and HC beverage servers recognized me they wouldn't swipe or even look at my card when I ordered a non-alcoholic beverage. Because your issue was only with bottled water (and late in the evening) I think that there was some sort of "crackdown" on your particular ship on hoarding bottled water for the next day thus making it very likely it would be shared with others who did not have the PBP. But if everyone in your party had the Sip + Sail they should recognize it as such. But did everybody? You said you were a family of 8, so you would need to be in 4 cabins for everyone to have the free PBP as it only applies to the first two persons in the cabin.

Unfortunately there is nothing that will be done. I had actually purchased the old all inclusive drink package, ordering in on line and paying for it prior to my cruise last December and they switched that on me. It wasn't a perk, I purchased one package and received the other.

The fine print states that they can make changes so ultimately it was my choice as to either cancel the purchase package or accept it as it was with the change.

It is only limited to 15 alcoholic drinks per day so I'm not sure whey you were denied a bottle of water at the end of the night, unless it was the large size as others have pointed out. Since the packages has been around around 10 months, I'm surprised they would have made a mistake.

I think what I just learned from your experience is to get the details in writing. You should have had the contract and the details of the beverage package with you. And when they change to the PBP, that packages details in writing. Verbal communication can get really messed up. If they can't give it in writing, maybe just get the crew members name in writing :).

How was the cruise otherwise?

in this 'family of 8' - how many had the PBP?:confused:

Small waters, specialty coffees and fountain soft drinks have always been unlimited with the AIBP and the PBP. The only way you could have hit the 15 limit is if you order 15 beers, wines or cocktails. I have had these plans on 2 cruises every year since they started and that has always been the case. I always get a water when I head to my stateroom late at night and never ever been refused

I am very curious that you are the only person to complain about this. In order to help you sort through this, I would like you to provide more information. You were sailing with your husband, two children, your sister, your brother and your mother and father. Sip & Sail only covers bookings in certain classes of staterooms. How many staterooms did you book under the Sip & Sail promotion and what categories were those staterooms? Sip & Sail only covers alcoholic beverages for the first two adults in a stateroom and then it is only an unlimited Soda & More Package for the 3rd and 4th passengers in the same stateroom. So, for your 8 family members, how many staterooms housed your family of 8? You said "Members of your family reached their limit each day." How many of your family members reached their limit each day? Of those family members, were they by any chance getting alcohol drinks for other family members not covered by the Premium Beverage Package? I really think it is pretty tough to go through 15 alcoholic drinks each day for a 7 day cruise.

I have also heard that there is a 15 minute timeout between drinks on these packages. The timeout is meant to discourage others from getting drinks for passengers who aren't covered by a drink package.

Please answer the following questions :

How many staterooms did you book under the Sip & Sail Promotion and what categories were those staterooms?

How many of your family members reached their limit each day?

The answers to those two questions may go a long way toward helping us figure out what happened to your family. Like I said earlier, it is odd that no one else from your sailing complained about this. I hope we can help you figure this out.

I am very curious that you are the only person to complain about this. In order to help you sort through this, I would like you to provide more information. You were sailing with your husband, two children, your sister, your brother and your mother and father. Sip & Sail only covers bookings in certain classes of staterooms. How many staterooms did you book under the Sip & Sail promotion and what categories were those staterooms? Sip & Sail only covers alcoholic beverages for the first two adults in a stateroom and then it is only an unlimited Soda & More Package for the 3rd and 4th passengers in the same stateroom. So, for your 8 family members, how many staterooms housed your family of 8? You said "Members of your family reached their limit each day." How many of your family members reached their limit each day? Of those family members, were they by any chance getting alcohol drinks for other family members not covered by the Premium Beverage Package? I really think it is pretty tough to go through 15 alcoholic drinks each day for a 7 day cruise.

I have also heard that there is a 15 minute timeout between drinks on these packages. The timeout is meant to discourage others from getting drinks for passengers who aren't covered by a drink package.

Please answer the following questions :

How many staterooms did you book under the Sip & Sail Promotion and what categories were those staterooms?

How many of your family members reached their limit each day?

The answers to those two questions may go a long way toward helping us figure out what happened to your family. Like I said earlier, it is odd that no one else from your sailing complained about this. I hope we can help you figure this out.

Bless you for your sincere attempt to “help” this guy out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tbe OP is from Germany ... is it possible that Princess offers a different pkg to Europeans?

Nope it's the same package across the fleet, regardless of where you book from. Premier Beverage Package is it, same terms and conditions, etc regardless of where booking is made. The only differences are between USD currency cruises or AUS currency cruises - all the same things covered, but cap is $12 USD on USD currency sailings and $16 AUS on AUS currency sailings (Australian based ships).

There was a LOT of chatter and complaints on here and other Princess forums last Sept when Princess abruptly changed the package from the All-inclusive Beverage package to the Premier Beverage package and didn't grandfather in those who had bought before the change or had it as party of their promos. A LOT aof chatter and complaints, threads, etc.

As noted, Princess reserves the right to change the package at any time. And they did it, last September 2017, along with raising the price.

Unfortunately, the OP apparently missed all of that, and never once checked the info on the website as IRS been there for a year (well, 11 months before their sailing).

It's not s recent change, wherever they got the idea it happened only 2 months ago is absolutely bogus..

I too am curious about the bottle water being denied - was it the larger bottles, or some miscommunication , etc.

The package details are displayed at every bar, the OP could have verified there. Reception gave some faulty info, obviously, which totally stinks, but it was easy enough to clarify at any bar, or on the Princess website, which is free to access onboard, etc..

Hopefully the OP comes back to answer some of the unanswered questions to help clarify what actually happened..