Need a simple explanation re: plane tickets I can't use

elruth

I know I could get the info from American Airlines but easier to ask here. I can not use airline tickets already paid for due to NCL cancelling the cruise. If I have to change the tickets to another date etc. I know it would be a $ 200.00 penalty per person. Does that mean I also have to pay the difference if the price for a new date is more in addition to the $ 400.00 for both of us? I think I had to rebook tickets within 6 mo. Our tickets for 2 = $ 845.00. If I pay $ 400.00 penalty and also the difference in the new price of tickets, that is alot of money. I decided to just cancel as we don't plan to take another NCL cruise since the cancelled one was such a great price. Any other cruise is alot more expensive. I guess I will just "eat" the $ 845.00 plane ticket loss.

I did send in info to NCL customer service re: plane tickets and they are supposed to let me know but I am reading on this forum that I probably will not get reimbursed. I didn't realize the $ 300.00 p person air flight reimbursement from NCL was IF I rebooked with NCL.

Sorry to sound so dumb but I am 78 and husband 88 and not as sharp as we used to be. This has really soured me on NCL and we are Platinum Plus members.

According to American Airlines,

Depending on fare rules, you can apply the unused value of your American Airlines ticket toward a future trip as long as:

• Your new trip begins no later than one year from the ticket's original issue date
  • You canceled the original ticket before the departure of the first flight (or the ticket loses any remaining value and cannot be used for future travel.)
  • And then, yes, there would be a $200.00 fee per ticket. So you would end up with a credit, good for a year.
  • Hope this helps!

I’ve not had a cruise cancelled by NCL, but I thought that when that happened they typically give a list of dates you can transfer your booking to without changing the price. Did that not happen? Then yes, you’d be out an increase in airfare, but as with the $300 pp refund, as long as the increase wasn’t more than $522, wouldn’t it come out as the same price as cancelling? Then at least you would still get to take your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, you continue to create new threads about the same problem and keep getting the same information. Nothing is going to change.

NCL gave you options but you chose to cancel your flight instead of trying to work around your booked flight. There's nothing more to be done. Give it a rest..............

OP, as you have been told in all the other identical threads that you have started asking the same question, you have lost the value of the tickets. It is gone. You are not going to get anything for them. You booked your air fare too early and are stuck with the loss.

You might contact this organization LINK:

https://www.elliott.org/about-elliott-consumer-advocacy/

Elliot likes to take on these impossible cases.

Not every resolution is satisfactory but who knows nothing ventured nothing gained.

NCL should be easy to work with - as for American Airlines that is another thing.

You should not wait too long to maximize your refund or rescheduling opportunities.

Salvage what you can out of the airline ticket half of this cruise and lean on NCL

for help after all they have put you into this mess.

Meeting a stonewall entertain that Elliott service..

Good Luck !

OP, are you my son? He keeps asking the same questions over and over till he gets the answer he wants. I've found the best way to deal with that is just to tell him what he wants to hear. What do you want to hear?

Seriously though no-one on here can give you the definitive answer for your particular set of circumstances. The airline and NCL can though. My simple answer therefore is to ask them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OP, you continue to create new threads about the same problem and keep getting the same information. Nothing is going to change.

NCL gave you options but you chose to cancel your flight instead of trying to work around your booked flight. There's nothing more to be done. Give it a rest..............

Wow! I can't believe how rude you are. You saw the title of my thread and if you recognized I had asked similar questions before, no one forced you to read my post. Best you give your snarky comments a rest! :evilsmile:

If I have to change the tickets to another date etc. I know it would be a $ 200.00 penalty per person. Does that mean I also have to pay the difference if the price for a new date is more in addition to the $ 400.00 for both of us? I think I had to rebook tickets within 6 mo. Our tickets for 2 = $ 845.00. If I pay $ 400.00 penalty and also the difference in the new price of tickets, that is alot of money. I decided to just cancel as we don't plan to take another NCL cruise since the cancelled one was such a great price. Any other cruise is alot more expensive.

If the new ticket is more than $400 you would pay the difference plus the $200 penalty. If the new ticket is equal to or less than $400, you would still pay the $200 penalty out-of-pocket. If you've already cancelled the tickets chances are they are being held as a credit if you do decide to purchase new tickets on American but I don't know if the validity is from one year from date of purchase or 1 year from original date of travel. That you need to check with American. Hold on to your confirmation number and ticket numbers.

Wow! I can't believe how rude you are. You saw the title of my thread and if you recognized I had asked similar questions before, no one forced you to read my post. Best you give your snarky comments a rest! :evilsmile:

Your answer is on these links

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2655482

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2654342

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2652928

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2645107

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2645107

Phoenix was NOT rude at all. Simply honest. You only think it was rude because it points out that you started posting about this about 33 days ago.

You start this thread saying asking here again is easier than calling AA. Boy were you wrong!

People here cannot help that you don't like the answers you are being given. You've posted multiple times, and people have been more than helpful. No one here is being rude. The fact that you completely disregard the help you are being given, and instead post the same question over and over again could be considered rude. At this point, I wish the moderator would just lock your posts, or merge them or something. Of course, you'd just start a new one...

I know I could get the info from American Airlines but easier to ask here. I can not use airline tickets already paid for due to NCL cancelling the cruise. If I have to change the tickets to another date etc. I know it would be a $ 200.00 penalty per person. Does that mean I also have to pay the difference if the price for a new date is more in addition to the $ 400.00 for both of us? I think I had to rebook tickets within 6 mo. Our tickets for 2 = $ 845.00. If I pay $ 400.00 penalty and also the difference in the new price of tickets, that is alot of money. I decided to just cancel as we don't plan to take another NCL cruise since the cancelled one was such a great price. Any other cruise is alot more expensive. I guess I will just "eat" the $ 845.00 plane ticket loss.

I did send in info to NCL customer service re: plane tickets and they are supposed to let me know but I am reading on this forum that I probably will not get reimbursed. I didn't realize the $ 300.00 p person air flight reimbursement from NCL was IF I rebooked with NCL.

Sorry to sound so dumb but I am 78 and husband 88 and not as sharp as we used to be. This has really soured me on NCL and we are Platinum Plus members.

elruth, I know this must be very frustrating. I have read the threads you've posted regarding this situation and I understand how disappointing the whole situation must be especially in light of such a financial loss. I would advise that you try very hard not to let this situation tarnish your opinion of NCL. Instead, use this as an opportunity to learn a very valuable lesson (or lessons) about what you should or should not do in the event that your particular cruise gets cancelled. Here's what I have learned just from following along:

1. look into another cruise option prior to cancelling anything
  2. wait until closer to the actual trip to book plane reservations
  3. consider a refundable ticket...even though they cost more
  4. consider travel insurance, although some have indicated that it may not have helped you in this circumstance
  5. call the airline/cruise line directly to try to get a satisfactory outcome

My parents are in their 70's as well and they do not always understand all of the ins and outs and I often have to step in and explain or help. Don't be put off by snarky responses but do try to understand that at this point, that cash is a loss. Chalk it up to lesson learned and start planning your next great vacation!!

Best,

CM

I agree with others about keeping the plane tickets. If there aren't any cruises of interest, I'd probably look for an A1 or even a nice hotel in the area; no way would I give up on my vacation so easily. Even if it means adding another flight to the itin., that's better than giving up.

elruth, I know this must be very frustrating. I have read the threads you've posted regarding this situation and I understand how disappointing the whole situation must be especially in light of such a financial loss. I would advise that you try very hard not to let this situation tarnish your opinion of NCL. Instead, use this as an opportunity to learn a very valuable lesson (or lessons) about what you should or should not do in the event that your particular cruise gets cancelled. Here's what I have learned just from following along:

1. look into another cruise option prior to cancelling anything
  2. wait until closer to the actual trip to book plane reservations
  3. consider a refundable ticket...even though they cost more
  4. consider travel insurance, although some have indicated that it may not have helped you in this circumstance
  5. call the airline/cruise line directly to try to get a satisfactory outcome

My parents are in their 70's as well and they do not always understand all of the ins and outs and I often have to step in and explain or help. Don't be put off by snarky responses but do try to understand that at this point, that cash is a loss. Chalk it up to lesson learned and start planning your next great vacation!!

Best,

CM

These are some good suggestions.

But also, DO think about travel insurance.

And FIRST, double check whether you would be covered for something like this if you purchase a policy.

We always recommend getting third-party insurance, and we use

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

- and we CALL them to speak about what we are planning and they can help suggest the types of coverage we might need. This is what we did the first time we got travel insurance, based upon suggestions right here on CruiseCritic.

(And boy, were we grateful for the suggestion; DH had a medical emergency less than 2 weeks prior to our planned departure, and *everything* was paid/non-refundable. Insurance paid us every cent. We are indebted to CruiseCritic ever since, and of course also for lots of other help!)

Purchasing most policies that cover you door to door (NOT just the cruise or just the flight, etc.) would almost definitely have covered this type of problem that was out of your control.

(Or, as some other people do, they "self insure", meaning that what they save by *not* paying for travel insurance might end up being used for a travel cost loss in the future... which is what your situation actually is, by default. However, make SURE you have coverage from somewhere for MEDICAL expenses overseas. Plain Medicare does *not* cover most medical costs out of the USA.)

Again, ASK by phone.

Ant that is precisely what you should be doing here, as you already know, because you already stated that you know you should call American Airlines.

GC

No, what is rude is asking the same thing over and over again and spawning multiple threads. And it is rude even if you are 78.

What is rude is asking the same question over and over again and hoping for a different answer. Time to give this topic a rest.

What credit card did you purchase your airline tickets with? Several cards that I carry (Costco's Visa and the American Express card) offer additional travel protection coverages.

What is rude is asking the same question over and over again and hoping for a different answer. Time to give this topic a rest.
I agree, absolutely no reason to post yet another thread for the same reason, sorry elruth... I'm in my 70s too but wouldn't continue to beat this dead horse. ... :o

What credit card did you purchase your airline tickets with? Several cards that I carry (Costco's Visa and the American Express card) offer additional travel protection coverages.

In my country, if you request to dispute a charge to your credit card, you'd better be able to prove that it was fraudulent b/c if not, the cc will refuse to even look at future requests. I've only ever disputed 1 charge on my CC and they were able to confirm that it was fraudulent and the charge was reversed.

Not sure how your CC work but I guess mine a bit more strict? Just guessing... :confused:

Good luck

I agree, absolutely no reason to post yet another thread for the same reason, sorry elruth... I'm in my 70s too but wouldn't continue to beat this dead horse. ... :o

In my country, if you request to dispute a charge to your credit card, you'd better be able to prove that it was fraudulent b/c if not, the cc will refuse to even look at future requests. I've only ever disputed 1 charge on my CC and they were able to confirm that it was fraudulent and the charge was reversed.

Not sure how your CC work but I guess mine a bit more strict? Just guessing... :confused:

Good luck

Not suggesting a dispute. Several of my cards offer trip insurance automatically if you purchase travel with their card.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

You'll be happy to know this thread will end since today I decided to use the cancelled airline tickets and pay the penalty of over $ 500.00. I called NCL and rebooked the cancelled cruise with the new itinerary. I had to downgrade from a mini -suite on the Sun and book a balcony on the Sun and paid close to $ 1000.00 more than what I originally booked.

Thanks to the kind people who did respond and offered suggestions and advice.