Everything’s OK....until it’s not.

Damicom

Some of the accounts on CC are affiliated with the various cruise lines.

The job description isn't 'empathy', it's 'spin'.

Shawnino, are you sure? Please expand on your point. In what sense are some of the posters on CC "affiliated with the various cruise lines"?

DAMICOM - I'm so sorry you had a tough time! Although most people try, I think it's hard to really understand if one hasn't gone thru something similar. I remember how stressed I was once at home when we had a house guest. I had an unforeseen medical problem, felt trapped in the master bedroom alone while partner entertained the guest, a precious person. My partner had no comprehension of how distressed I felt. Hard not to carry hard feelings forward sometimes too. May God bless you with better health going forward!

I’m terribly sorry this happened to you. I don’t think the reason you expected quiet is anyone’s business or out of bounds. I’m reading your post from a lovely resort. I have a connecting door to a room with a very large and active family. I can hear their conversations, shower, arguments, children’s play, fights, and cries. I am not convalescing but find it incredibly irritating. I did not ask for the resort’s help but would expect some of this were causing me that kind of stress. Good on you for dropping O! I for one think you deserved better. Go find it elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We were just on the Riviera in June; had experienced very loud creaky pipes (late at night when most are trying to sleep), flushing toilets, talking in hallways and slamming doors. All very normal noises for a cruise ship. A pair of earplugs I always travel with solved all of my problems...really shocking that anyone would expect dead silence on a ship at anytime.

Many of you keep referring to the 'GM'. I was not aware there was an overall general manager of a ship. May I ask, are you referring to the Hotel & Beverage manager? Please clarify. I'll be sailing on my first Oceania cruise soon.

Agree that “The squeaky wheel gets the grease(the oil) and sometimes you have to seek a higher authority. Have traveled with RCCL and Celebrity a lot we ran into someone who said their room attendant used dual sided tape (thick)which worked surprisingly well!

Just some food for thought. Gm

Many of you keep referring to the 'GM'. I was not aware there was an overall general manager of a ship. May I ask, are you referring to the Hotel & Beverage manager? Please clarify. I'll be sailing on my first Oceania cruise soon.

The position titled general manager on Oceania is called "hotel manager" or "hotel director" on many other cruise lines.

The food and beverage manger is lower on the organization chart and reports to the hotel manager, general manager, hotel director or equivalent on cruise lines I'm familiar with.

The position titled general manager on Oceania is called "hotel manager" or "hotel director" on many other cruise lines.

The food and beverage manger is lower on the organization chart and reports to the hotel manager, general manager, hotel director or equivalent on cruise lines I'm familiar with.

Understood, thank you kindly.

Maître D'hôtel is sometimes used as hotel mgr. though it also may refer to head waiter. Various meanings.

Maître D'hôtel is sometimes used as hotel mgr. though it also may refer to head waiter. Various meanings.

I've never seen it used to mean hotel manager and in looking at several dictionaries I only found one that even used it as tertiary definition. Not one even used it as a secondary definition. Edit...did find one using that as a secondary definition. Its primary definition is clearly and 100% "head waiter" .

As an author I learned long ago to use words in their most common accepted way if at all possible. That assured maximum reader comprehension of what I wrote and also warded off accusations of pedantry...in my writing at least. I can be very pedantic in defending what I believe to be correct...as you can see here!

Edited by njhorseman

Saw this and had to post. The last time we were on Oceania was about 1-1/2 years ago and I got norovirus - along with about 200 other people on the ship. It was everywhere. I did not go to the doctor as did most of the other people also didn’t. We were all sick for about 3 days.

They totally closed the ship down. The concierge room has no newspapers, no magazines and nothing to eat. All the public door to the bathroom were open so you didn’t have to touch the handles. In any restaurant, there were NO salt and pepper shakers, no napkins, no silverware - nothing - just bare tables. Yes, they really had a problem and kind of shut the ship down. In the buffet area, everything was covered with Saran Wrp.

For the cruise following us they delayed boarding so that the ship could be totally cleaned. Even if you were staying on for the next cruise, you had to take everything out of the cabin, out of the drawers and closet.

When we got back, I wrote a letter to Oceania. We had the concierge cabin and for the cruise, it just was not there and I thought we deserved some refund. Got a nasty letter from them saying only 33 people came to the doctor and, sorry, no refund was due! Like I said, there had to be at least 200 people who came down with it. Oceania would not have shut down the ship or postponed the following sailing if they did NOT have a problem - would they?

So making a long story short, we will never go on Oceania again. Errors and mistakes happen but to not acknowledge is in very poor taste.

Do you think the noise would have been less if there hadn't been a connecting door?

That's key, because a good travel agent, knowing your special needs, would never have let you book that cabin, if the answer to the above is "yes". I have never booked directly with a cruise line, because I have a TA who I trust and who knows the lines, and will steer me clear of problem cabins like this.

If the answer is "no", then, so be it. Someone, perhaps you or spouse, should have spoken to the people next door and asked them to quiet it down. And I agree with others the GM should have been involved from day 1.

So sorry this happened to you, hope your health is improving.

Saw this and had to post. The last time we were on Oceania was about 1-1/2 years ago and I got norovirus - along with about 200 other people on the ship. It was everywhere. I did not go to the doctor as did most of the other people also didn’t. We were all sick for about 3 days.

They totally closed the ship down. The concierge room has no newspapers, no magazines and nothing to eat. All the public door to the bathroom were open so you didn’t have to touch the handles. In any restaurant, there were NO salt and pepper shakers, no napkins, no silverware - nothing - just bare tables. Yes, they really had a problem and kind of shut the ship down. In the buffet area, everything was covered with Saran Wrp.

For the cruise following us they delayed boarding so that the ship could be totally cleaned. Even if you were staying on for the next cruise, you had to take everything out of the cabin, out of the drawers and closet.

When we got back, I wrote a letter to Oceania. We had the concierge cabin and for the cruise, it just was not there and I thought we deserved some refund. Got a nasty letter from them saying only 33 people came to the doctor and, sorry, no refund was due! Like I said, there had to be at least 200 people who came down with it. Oceania would not have shut down the ship or postponed the following sailing if they did NOT have a problem - would they?

So making a long story short, we will never go on Oceania again. Errors and mistakes happen but to not acknowledge is in very poor taste.

Did you confine yourself to your cabin after you came down with Norovirus?

Why didn’t you report to the Dr?

You say 200 people were sick but most didn't report to the doctor. So their number of 33 that reported to the doctor seems to agree with what you wrote.

Sounds to me like everything was handled the way it should have been given the precautions they took.

Would you rather they had kept the lounge open to help the virus spread? That doesn't make sense to me. They appear to have done what was in the best interest of the other passengers.

I know personally how horrible it is to become ill on vacation so I'm sorry you had to go through that. But as I'm sure you know by now a ship, or hotel for that matter, never guarantees that all facilities will be available at all times.

Did not want to be quarantined for 3 days. You can tell, most people also did not want to do this. You are really only pretty ill for one day then kind of run down for about 2 more days. Besides, ran into one passenger who DID call the doctor and the doctor never responded. Like the title of this post says “Everything is okay until it isn’t...”

I just think Oceania should have reimbursed something to clients about this. I forgot to mention that the previous sailing to ours also had problems. Nothing was said to us when we checked in, so I assumed it was taken care of. It was not and only got worse.

Did not want to be quarantined for 3 days. You can tell, most people also did not want to do this. You are really only pretty ill for one day then kind of run down for about 2 more days. Besides, ran into one passenger who DID call the doctor and the doctor never responded. Like the title of this post says “Everything is okay until it isn’t...”

I just think Oceania should have reimbursed something to clients about this. I forgot to mention that the previous sailing to ours also had problems. Nothing was said to us when we checked in, so I assumed it was taken care of. It was not and only got worse.

:mad::mad::mad:

Folks, you can’t argue with this mentality...let it go, and thank goodness they do not want to cruise on Oceania any more!

It was only a ten day cruise. I have been on many, many cruises and have never gotten ill. This was a first and I was cautious knowing that the previous sailing to ours had problems.

So on your next Oceania cruise, you do get sick. OK - stay in your cabin for 3 days. It's your trip....

It was only a ten day cruise. I have been on many, many cruises and have never gotten ill. This was a first and I was cautious knowing that the previous sailing to ours had problems.

So on your next Oceania cruise, you do get sick. OK - stay in your cabin for 3 days. It's your trip....

You understand that the reason for the quarantine is to try to avoid spreading the illness even more?

It's not for the comfort/convenience of the sick person, although having been dreadfully ill with something similar about 15 years ago, I was grateful for occasional room service of beverages and broth.

There is a very good reason for the quarantine, just as there is for the precautions throughout the ship.

It's about the contagious factor......

Perhaps if others on that cruise before yours had not wandered around the ship sick the way you did, maybe *you* would not have gotten sick... (but no one will ever know).

GC

Well, maybe if Oceania had thoroughly dealt with it on the previous cruise, no one would have gotten sick on ours. And as I said, I did meet someone who did call the doctor and he never responded. Too busy dealing with sick Noro Virus people.... And, for your info, I did not (and could not) mingle with passengers when I was pretty ill at first. Stayed in my cabin and infected no one.

They took no responsibility for this and their letter was pretty negative, denying any responsibility. That was just wrong. It sounds so similar to another story on this thread.

It’s been pointed out here many times that ships are not sick - people are. There is no way to “cure” the ship of Noro. It can be cleaned but perhaps some of the crew who obviously stayed on were ill or new passengers boarded ill (knowingly or unknowingly). Improper hygiene by those who are ill helps to spread the disease and improper hygiene by healthy people makes them susceptible to Noro.

That is how It works.

It’s been pointed out here many times that ships are not sick - people are. There is no way to “cure” the ship of Noro. It can be cleaned but perhaps some of the crew who obviously stayed on were ill or new passengers boarded ill (knowingly or unknowingly). Improper hygiene by those who are ill helps to spread the disease and improper hygiene by healthy people makes them susceptible to Noro.

That is how It works.

Not quite. You can practice good hygiene but if the person handling your food or cleaning your cabin is ill you can still catch a virus.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

We were in medicine. I was on a Christmas cruise on Crystal one year and I got Noro the day after the first night on board. Interesting to note that one server was never there again! For people who are around medicine you know you are only contagious when you have that very high fever, which is the first day. We did not report anything to the doctor, but stayed in the day we knew we were contagious (me). We do practice very good hygiene. It happens. We were fortunate that day was a sea day and although the next two days were not really good, we made the best of it. It passes. There is simply no treatment and no reason to go to the doctor. I called the butler to bring Gatorade so I would not get my system out of balance and everything was good. Many many people on this cruise got Noro. It happens. It is sad, but hopefully someday there will be a treatment. There is no reason to go to a doctor if you maintain your system properly (Gatorade).

I feel bad for anyone going through this. It really is not the fault of the ship. The bacteria lives in every little crack. I think they all do their best to try to ameliorate the problem. Sad.