Future of Oceania

shellsrus

There was a thread recently on Cruise Critic (don't remember where) about new ship build's. Lots of cruise lines had orders at the major shipyards. I think the thread indicated that the shipyards are booked at least 6 to 8 years out. No orders from Oceania for a new ship. Is Oceania's plan to just use their existing fleet indefinitely? The only "new-ish" ships they have are the Marina and Riviera, and I think they're 6+ years old now. The smaller R ships are much older. We recently cruised on the Marina (1st time on Oceania) and enjoyed it very much. We're hesitant to try an R ship due to all the feedback on the small cabins/bathrooms and overall age and condition of the ships.

Any Oceania experts here have any insight into what Oceania is thinking long term?

It's very true that the bathrooms on the "R" ship veranda cabins and below are small but the ships have been beautifully maintained. Maybe you won't like the style of the furnishings (we do, but we're used to them from Renaissance days) but the ships are in great shape. That is why many Oceania regulars prefer them to the newer ships. The only way you can judge is if you spring for a trial cruise on one of them.

OR you could book a suite! Yes, it's more money, and I'm not cavalier in making the suggestion.

But personally I don't think you need to worry about the age of these ships.

On another thread I recently mentioned that when we took a downsell to a B1 cabin on Nautica in July 2016, we were surprised that the shower no longer bothered us the way it once had! And we are used to sailing in the suites these days. So you might NOT have a problem with them. Only you will know how you would feel. If you are used to 1500 sf in a cabin, then you no doubt would be disappointed.

Mura

There was a thread recently on Cruise Critic (don't remember where) about new ship build's. Lots of cruise lines had orders at the major shipyards. I think the thread indicated that the shipyards are booked at least 6 to 8 years out. No orders from Oceania for a new ship. Is Oceania's plan to just use their existing fleet indefinitely? The only "new-ish" ships they have are the Marina and Riviera, and I think they're 6+ years old now. The smaller R ships are much older. We recently cruised on the Marina (1st time on Oceania) and enjoyed it very much. We're hesitant to try an R ship due to all the feedback on the small cabins/bathrooms and overall age and condition of the ships.

Any Oceania experts here have any insight into what Oceania is thinking long term?

the R Ships do not work anymore and the Newer ships are teriffic but need to be up dated. At this rate there in no future for Oceania as we know it. Need new ships as every other cruise line is getting. Too bad that we will have to look elsewhere in the future.

the R Ships do not work anymore and the Newer ships are teriffic but need to be up dated. At this rate there in no future for Oceania as we know it. Need new ships as every other cruise line is getting. Too bad that we will have to look elsewhere in the future.

What do you specifically mean by they don't work anymore?

Do you mean they don't work as an option for you anymore?

They work fine for us.

You’ve been complaining about Oceania and talking about leaving for some time. How’s that working out for you?

They work fine for us.

You’ve been complaining about Oceania and talking about leaving for some time. How’s that working out for you?

+ 1

maybe time for him to put his money with another cruise line :rolleyes:

Both size ships work for us also

Go to the source & ask them

asking people here is just speculation

Many cruise line without new build are still in business longer than Oceania

JMO

Really you are the biggest downer I have ever read..I wish you would hurry and look elsewhere!

You are so wrong Oceania is not hurting one bit and when they decide to build more ships I am sure you will hear about it..

Jancruz1

We did Explorer when it was the newest. I did not find one thing better than Riviera and Marina in my opinion.

On the other hand, we do NOT like the R ships. Everything is too small and outdated for us. My husband is very tall, so the newer ships are better for us.

We are not falling all over ourselves for the new Regent ship. That being said we were really dedicated to Crystal, but it just seems REALLY outdated to us, just like the R ships.

Try it, see if you like it.

We are like Mura. We like the big suites.

RJB--Please see "Viking Competing on Food " POST #41

Maybe Oceania is not for you.

There are many of us that are fans of "don't fix what ain't broke."

As for condition of the R ships: look at what Princess did/didn't do to maintain the Ocean Princess. It took Oceania $40 million to bring it up to Oceania's standards.

Looks like we are closing in ON the top of the economic cycle. I'm not sur contracting for ships now, when prices are high and capacity in the industry is rapidly expanding, is the right move.

Its a difficult call.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Forums mobile app

I would imagine that NCL holdings doesn't have "bottomless pockets" and they choose their investments so that new ships are in places where they need them. Norwegian got a new ship this year I think. Regent is getting Splendor in 2020. Very likely shortly after that Oceania will get another big new one. (Remember that last year or the year before Sirena was re-added to the Oceania fleet, and much upgraded.

We sail for the ports primarily, not the ships. That said, in places where O utilizes both R and O ships , we’ll always pick the O. Always. The O ships, however, only represent 2 of the 7 ship fleet (28%), and there are huge swaths of the globe they don’t sail. We were blessed to do Australia and NZ on the Marina. That option is no longer available.

Currently, Oceania is able to maintain parity in pricing between the two ships. With the huge differences between classes, this surprises me. I’m guessing , over time, this capacity will start to wain. I’m guessing that time line is within 5-7 years at max as many of the R ship lovers retire from cruising and those ships become even more outdated. If/ When O has to start discounting R fares below O ship fares, they will be forced to upgrade. Until that time, I see them avoiding take on more new debt while NCL tries to recoup its PCH investment.

We sail for the ports primarily, not the ships. That said, in places where O utilizes both R and O ships , we’ll always pick the O. Always. The O ships, however, only represent 2 of the 7 ship fleet (28%), and there are huge swaths of the globe they don’t sail. We were blessed to do Australia and NZ on the Marina. That option is no longer available.

Currently, Oceania is able to maintain parity in pricing between the two ships. With the huge differences between classes, this surprises me. I’m guessing , over time, this capacity will start to wain. I’m guessing that time line is within 5-7 years at max as many of the R ship lovers retire from cruising and those ships become even more outdated. If/ When O has to start discounting R fares below O ship fares, they will be forced to upgrade. Until that time, I see them avoiding take on more new debt while NCL tries to recoup its PCH investment.

Unless I've missed something, there are only six ships: Riviera, Marina, Regatta, Nautica, Insignia and Sirena.

(Remember that last year or the year before Sirena was re-added to the Oceania fleet, and much upgraded.

Sirena was never part of Oceania

It was bought from princess

Perhaps you are thinking of Insignia which was leased to Hapag Lloyd for a couple of years

Andee;

They only make up 1/3rd of the itineraries. Plus, we don’t know actual occupancy levels. I’ve read and heard multiple reports of the Riveria cruising the Carribe in winter at 2/3rds or so occupancy levels.

Stan&Jim;

No. It’s a function of too many boats plying the Carribe during the winter months. The ships have to go somewhere during winter and supply far outpaces demand. The hurricane damage only adds insult to injury. My brother and his wife did a 7 day Riviera cruise in a veranda cabin back in 2016 for ~ $750 each, cruise only. He said the ship only had around 700 aboard. His TA had called him just looking for bodies with low offerings.

I should add, he lives in FL, and getting cut rate offers for cruises out of Miami, FLL, or Cape Canveral is a common occurrence. To many ships during the winter and Spring months for the demand.