Tahiti - Intercontinental Overwater Bungalows

We are getting ready to book a pre or post two night hotel stay at the Intercontinental in Tahiti.

They have four different overwater choices.

Overwater Motu Villa Suite

Overwater Motu Bungalow

Overwater Superior Lagoon Bungalow

Overwater Lagoon Bungalow

I am looking for the best view and access to the water from the deck. I have read that some of the Motu Bungalows only have two pilings in the water and the rest of the bungalow is on the beach??

Is this true of the Motu Villa Suite?

What Overwater bungalow or suite did you stay in? Did you like it? Are you glad you did?

We are doing this in Tahiti because our cruise has an overnight in Bora Bora and Raiatea and one day in Moorea.

Thanks.

We have stayed in the Lagoon Overwater Bungalows twice (I don't know if superior or regular). I can't remember the first number, but the second time (2014) we were in 509 - very close to the end. They are on the left end if you are looking toward Moorea with the most gorgeous view and very quiet. The freshwater showers on the platform are the great - we never left the bungalow except to eat because it was so wonderful! Decent snorkeling right under the bungalows. I would definitely stay in them again. We are going again, leaving tomorrow and are trying the Motu bungalows, so I can let you know what I think of them in comparison in a few days.

Thank you for your reply.

We are booked on the Oceania Marina in January 2019. Let me know how you like Oceania.

We will be flying out of Atlanta to and then on to Papeete.

Is this what you did?

Did you buy your round trip airfare from Atlanta or as two round trip tickets?

Which airline did you use?

I am looking forward to hearing which Intercontinental area you liked better - Motu or Bungalows.

Thanks and have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are booking your own air then try and do it on one reservation. On one reservation the airline will protect you if there is a flight delay. On two separate reservations you are on your own if you miss the connection. You can consider overnighting in LA especially in January when storms can hit. We go from NY and only did the overnight in LA once. The other 5 times we flew straight through. United and one discount airline are starting service from SFO to PPT shortly. You may want to look at those also although French Blue, the discount airline, does not have any track record.

From LAX to PPT your only choices are Air Tahiti Nui (daily and some days twice a day) or Air France (a few times per week).

Thank you for your reply.

We are booked on the Oceania Marina in January 2019. Let me know how you like Oceania.

We will be flying out of Atlanta to and then on to Papeete.

Is this what you did?

Did you buy your round trip airfare from Atlanta or as two round trip tickets?

Which airline did you use?

I am looking forward to hearing which Intercontinental area you liked better - Motu or Bungalows.

Thanks and have a great trip.

Why don't you send me an email at Lhbowles at comcast dot net and I can answer your questions more easily. I also took some pictures for you today that may help.

As to the Motu bungalows that had only two pilings in the water, I believe all of those were torn down during the 2015 renovation. There are definitely fewer in the lagoon area than when we were here last. We had some friends stay in one of those and when they got in the water, it was only waist deep. I did a walk around and all the current OWBs have all pilings in the water.

I just returned from a FP cruise on the Marina. We did the 12-day itinerary. It was wonderful.

I had a night booked at the Intercontinental Tahiti for the night before our flight home. It is so convenient to the PPT airport. We booked a superior ocean view room, but got upgraded to bungalow 506. It was beautiful!

I would recommend the property to anyone. We had a wonderful experience. Some of the folks we knew had some issues, so maybe they will provide their experience here.

Moorea is also a quick 25 minute ferry ride from the Tahiti pier. You can walk from the ferry pier to Marina. There are more options in Moorea, but to be completely honest, I enjoyed the bungalow in Tahiti more than the bungalow at the Hilton in Moorea. We had issues with our AC unit in Moorea, so that probably helped with my bias.

We booked two separate tickets for our air. One from PHL - LAX using AA. We then overnighted in LA and flew to PPT on Air France. I would highly recommend Air France over ATN given the current offerings. I heard that ATN will be upgrading the fleet with 787s very soon. That will make a huge difference.

The airline you pick will help determine how early or late you stay before/after the cruise since AF only has a few flights a week.

Two separate reservations does have risk as mentioned above. We had the overnight in LA on the way out and a long layover on the way back, so we were fine. However, if there was a problem, we would have had to work it out on our own.

Given customer service from the airlines, I am not sure if you really get much help these days even if on the same ticket. I flew to Athens on BA with a stop in LHR. They delayed the first flight from PHL - LHR for 36 hours. The response from the airline was pretty much 0. We had to book flights on Lufthansa the day of travel since BA would do nothing to assist (and we were full-fare F/C).

I used a taxi from the airport to the pier when we arrived and back from the ferry pier to the Intercontinental. They were plentiful in both locations. It cost me $20 plus $1 per bag. They accepted USD or XPF. The taxi to the airport from the hotel needs to be arranged the night before if taking one of the 8:30am flights. It cost $17 total with at least 4 huge bags. We arranged a taxi for the two of us and two friends we met on the cruise.

Denise

I used a taxi from the airport to the pier when we arrived and back from the ferry pier to the Intercontinental. They were plentiful in both locations. It cost me $20 plus $1 per bag. They accepted USD or XPF. The taxi to the airport from the hotel needs to be arranged the night before if taking one of the 8:30am flights. It cost $17 total with at least 4 huge bags. We arranged a taxi for the two of us and two friends we met on the cruise.

Denise

We are on Air France’s 8:30 am flight. What time did you need to be at the airport for that flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are staying three nights post Cruise at the Intercontinental Tahiti. Two nights in an overwater bungalow. The last night we will move to a regular room because we leave so early the next morning. I booked with breakfast included except the last night.

Did you do any Oceania excursions? I am thinking of taking the OLife excursions for three ports.

We used the O-life excursion option and took the three tours in Moorea, Nuku Hiva, and Rangiroa.

This is totally subjective, but I would probably take the stateroom credit if I were to do it again. The private tours were just superior in almost every way - the were full days, included lunch, and were typically much smaller groups. The average was probably 12.

The Oceania tours were probably 100's to 1000's of passengers split in groups. The Nuku Hiva tour was the greatest disappointment. It was the one day we had with rain...and the tour skipped several stops because of the weather. Many folks who took that tour decided to go again the second day with a private tour and had a much better experience. Now, that is definitely helped by the weather!

The Rangiroa tour we took was an hour snorkel of the Aquarium. No complaints at all - just wished it was longer. I could've stayed there all day. You can simply go out to the tender pier and have a local boat take you over to the aquarium for like $30. And you can stay much longer.

The Moorea tour was great - it was the hike of the 3 Coconut trail. Smaller group in comparison to other Oceania tour. A few participants had trouble with the strenuous nature of the trail/hike. We came back to the ship over 1.5 hours late and my husband, who is a nurse, spent most of the hike assisting folks. It was still beautiful, a great/challenging hike, and we had a very good guide!

Denise