MedJetAssist after age 75 - any experiences?

The regular travel insurance we tend to get doesn't have any special conditions for "the elderly" (defined "however"!), but the rates go up with age, which is fair enough.

However, MedJetAssist adds some medical underwriting for anyone over 75 when a new policy would go into effect.

Has anyone gone through this?

How "strict" are their underwriting criteria?

I'm assuming (risky - hence starting now to gather information, and please see below about future planning) that they wouldn't disqualify someone with, say, high blood pressure that is well controlled with medication. (Otherwise, they may as well save themselves a lot of time and trouble and just turn away everyone at age 75 if they'll turn away those with relatively minor or moderate and controlled conditions.)

Does anyone have experience with any "medical conditions" that WERE allowed by MedJetAssist, or any that were NOT?

We'll try to "push" that final "pre-75" year of coverage to start as close to the actual birthday, and then try to arrange trips during that next year to end by the time that year of coverage ends.

But... it will make a difference in our planning of future trips, in terms of destinations we'd include.

Thanks for any information about actual experience with "what happens" with MedJetAssist once one is past 75, trying to get coverage.

Any details in particular about medical conditions that did actually cause MedJetAssist to turn you down past age 75?

(Feel free to post any such information detail as being "about a friend" or "someone your sister-in-law's second cousin told you about"... ;))

We have no "major medical conditions", but we do have a variety of "things" that do benefit from routine/ongoing medications. And we'll make sure that we have refundable deposits for any trips where we would definitely want to use MedJetAssist after age 75 when the trip begins. We often make initial reservations 1 - 2+ years in advance.

Here are some medical situations that we do *not* have, but might be useful to know whether MedJetAssist will provide coverage to someone age 75+ with them:

-- Diabetes controlled with regular insulin injections;

-- CPAP machine needed at night;

-- Heart attack or cancer surgery more than 5 years ago;

-- Hip replacement surgery (with good function after recovery);

-- Use of a wheelchair (perhaps for arthritis, or perhaps a joint replacement without good function?).

(I'm just making up some "stuff" as possible examples, and it's probably obvious that I'm clueless about which conditions might be okay or problematic...)

GC

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
My experience was my primary care doctor had to fill out their paperwork and I sent it in. They accepted it, the premium was quite a bit more of course. Did not use it thankfully.

Thanks.

Did you have any sort of "usual" aging changes such as treated high blood pressure or other routine meds?

It would be great if someone here knew of someone else, so they could feel more comfortable mentioning if that person had some other well controlled medical conditions.

So far, we are doing well, but as we get older... we might develop more, well, "aging" :)

RM

• 3 weeks later...

Allianz works well, gives good service. Also Pleasant Holidays Trip Assist , both with pre existing conditions waived. There is no problem with medically stabilized conditions. The only possible gotcha would be IF when making a claim your doctor filling out their forms upon reviewing your medical records would state that he would have advised you medically not to travel . That would be a reason for the company to not pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Allianz works well, gives good service. Also Pleasant Holidays Trip Assist , both with pre existing conditions waived. There is no problem with medically stabilized conditions. The only possible gotcha would be IF when making a claim your doctor filling out their forms upon reviewing your medical records would state that he would have advised you medically not to travel . That would be a reason for the company to not pay.

Virtually no help but you did knowingly violate the Terms and Conditions for the use of Cruise Critic by advertising for a Travel Agency called Pleasant Holidays.

Mentioning travel agent/agency names here on CC is NOT allowed.

*IF* you have an *INSURANCE* product to recommend, that's fine.

--->> BUT THIS THREAD IS SPECIFICALLY ABOUT MEDJETASSIST COVERAGE, AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE SO YOUR CONTINUING TO POST ABOUT YOUR TRAVEL AGENT/AGENCY IS DOUBLY INAPPROPRIATE.

OR... do you actually have some comment about MedJetAssist to offer in response to our request for experiences with them?

GC

Thanks.

Did you have any sort of "usual" aging changes such as treated high blood pressure or other routine meds?

It would be great if someone here knew of someone else, so they could feel more comfortable mentioning if that person had some other well controlled medical conditions.

So far, we are doing well, but as we get older... we might develop more, well, "aging" :)

RM

Yes I do. I have an ICD and I take both heart and blood pressure medications and both conditions are stable. Any medical type insurance is going to have a 'look back' period of 60 days, 90 days etc.

Well controlled conditions are OK if they have been well controlled all through the look back period.

We aren't traveling this year because my ICD battery is at the end of it's lifespan, so I am waiting for it to reach the point where Medicare will cover replacement. Then of course we need to wait to make sure it isn't a recall, is functioning properly, and is programmed correctly for me. :eek:

Yes I do. I have an ICD and I take both heart and blood pressure medications and both conditions are stable. Any medical type insurance is going to have a 'look back' period of 60 days, 90 days etc.

Well controlled conditions are OK if they have been well controlled all through the look back period.

We aren't traveling this year because my ICD battery is at the end of it's lifespan, so I am waiting for it to reach the point where Medicare will cover replacement. Then of course we need to wait to make sure it isn't a recall, is functioning properly, and is programmed correctly for me. :eek:

Good to know.

I didn't realize there was a "look-back" period for an annual plan (or did you have a "one-trip" plan - unlikely, given all your travels! :))

For this type of policy, at this age, I figured they'd look at medical records further back, or that's what it sounded like when I spoke with them. I thought they were *more* interested in chronic conditions, unlike most "regular" travel insurance, which has those relatively short look-backs.

DH has one more year of "no medical underwriting", and then... the "Diamond" policy.

BTW: your website is awesome!!

(And the Snoopy writing in a journal is just perfect!)

Thanks.

GC

Good to know.

I didn't realize there was a "look-back" period for an annual plan (or did you have a "one-trip" plan - unlikely, given all your travels! :))

For this type of policy, at this age, I figured they'd look at medical records further back, or that's what it sounded like when I spoke with them. I thought they were *more* interested in chronic conditions, unlike most "regular" travel insurance, which has those relatively short look-backs.

DH has one more year of "no medical underwriting", and then... the "Diamond" policy.

BTW: your website is awesome!!

(And the Snoopy writing in a journal is just perfect!)

Thanks.

GC

Yes it was annual.

Thank you so much!! :D

Yes it was annual.

Thank you so much!! :D

Do you remember what the exact look-back period was?

Was this for a "first application" for their Diamond policy? Do you know if it is the same for renewal years after that?

Good to know you do have some "medical conditions" that were well controlled and were "okay" for the policy.

I guess we'll find out in a bit more than a year.

It's a bit worrisome that they can't give approval until about - I think they said - 2 months before the effective date.

We'll already have made some important reservations by then, but we'll just try to avoid any non-refundables until we get a decision, unless we are willing to go without MJA. It's just been so re-assuring to have that. That's part of what insurance is for; it's not only when there is an actual claim.

(Like our home security system... we "use it" every minute of every hour of every day, etc., even though there's never been any actual real "alarm event"!)

Thanks again!

GC

Bumping... Does anyone have any experience with success (or not) of the MedJetAssist medical underwriting for policies for those at or over age 75?

Many thanks!

GC

Did you read this in the CC Guidelines -

"Bumping

Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "bumping" topics to the top of the forum. Members will assume something of value has been posted, only to find that the newest posting is nothing more than a "bump post". This only wastes everyone's time. "

DON