Bard on the Beach...

Hello! Hoping for some help planning our evening to see Bard on the Beach. We're attending a Thursday night performance. I've been reading about people taking a picnic to the show...but am unsure of the logistics of that. Outside food is allowed, but it seems very awkward to be eating in the seats? Are there picnic tables set up around the venue prior to entering the tent seating? Or is it more a matter of having a picnic in Vanier Park prior to the show? Are there picnic tables in the park? Or is it more a matter of bringing a blanket of sorts?

Would love some help understanding the logistics of this idea. Had thought going to the Public Market on Granville Island to get picnic food sounded like a good idea. Weather permitting, of course...

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

They do mean you can eat in your seats - there are tables in the 'village' by the food concessions, with covers over a good proportion in case of inclement weather, but bear in mind an awful lot of others might be planning to try and sit there too! The on-site 'picnics' are more 'boxed lunch' meals - in literal small cardboard boxes that will fit on your lap easily enough if you do need to eat and showtime is too close to do so beforehand.

As long as you don't bring your own booze, anything goes - but with the request to refrain from wearing strong scents on your person there's an unwritten "do not bring smelly or messy food" rule. Can't say as I've heard of anyone being kicked out, but it's definitely a violation of Wheaton's Law so be sensible with your Granville Public Market purchases. Eating in the park there are also tables - use the Satellite images on Google Maps, they zoom in plenty far enough to recognize the seating areas - but on Bard nights (or just nice sunny days in general) spare table spots are hard to find in any parks, so a blanket will give you much more flexibility (and also helps cushion your tush during the play - those seats are not comfy!)

• Like 1

You can safely assume 'the show will go on' even in heavy rain - those tents are designed to take a pounding, so it's really only active lightning storms that have ever caused delays/cancellations and we don't get many of those. Playing it by ear regarding your dining options is sensible though - even if it's only a little rainy the seats under cover will be in very high demand and park tables/blanket picnics just not viable.

If you have already arranged appropriate layering and rain gear for your AK cruise, it's unlikely that you'll need to compromise any sightseeing plans here due to weather. Vancouver should be statistically drier than anywhere else you're visiting late June (and several recent years have been ridiculously hot/dry in summer for extended periods, many records broken for days without rain and the like - it's very annoying!)

Definitely will be prepared for inclement weather. I figured with the tents that the show would go on, it's all just a matter of rolling with Mother Nature and what would end up being the most enjoyable way to eat! LOL.

Speaking of...since you seem very knowledgable about the area. Is there a nearby place that you would recommend for a nightcap following the performance? Not a loud bar place, more like a lounge or even a coffee place? We'll likely be taking the #2 bus toward downtown. If the weather is nice...maybe we'll walk over the bridge? Any suggestions? I'll be doing my own research too...but just wondered if you had any further insight!:D

Hmmm. Vancouver does not excel at quiet bars or restaurants unfortunately (the trend toward industrial, exposed concrete/brick walls, no tablecloths, makes for lots of reflective surfaces that bounce sound around and make it very hard to hold a nice quiet conversation in general). Near Vanier all I can think off is an outside space, like the Boathouse which isn't much further around the Seawall and offers a wesward looking patio that is ideal in June for good views as the sun sets well after 9pm.

The only really nice, romantic, quiet indoor spot for a nightcap I can recommend is Mosquito in Gastown (not Gaslight or Gaslamp, which are probably close enough that if you're asking locals for directions you'll still get sent to the right place but better to be accurate and ensure you don't get the runaround from a cabbie to bring the fare up!)

Depending on your hotel location, Mosquito might be quite convenient - and they specialize in bubbles, liqueurs, dessert wines and desserts so they make an excellent end to and evening of Dribbling (Drinking & Nibbling) the area.

Our family is split at two hotels. One at the Auberge? and the other at Delta by Marriott. We're in the Delta because we booked there with points (woo hoo! one of the benefits of having to travel for work...) Looking at the Mosquito...seems pretty out of the way. The outdoor patio sounds lovely if the weather cooperates.

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely will be prepared for inclement weather. I figured with the tents that the show would go on, it's all just a matter of rolling with Mother Nature and what would end up being the most enjoyable way to eat! LOL.

Speaking of...since you seem very knowledgable about the area. Is there a nearby place that you would recommend for a nightcap following the performance? Not a loud bar place, more like a lounge or even a coffee place? We'll likely be taking the #2 bus toward downtown. If the weather is nice...maybe we'll walk over the bridge? Any suggestions? I'll be doing my own research too...but just wondered if you had any further insight!:D

Has your trip happened already? I live 10 minutes away from where they do Bard on the beach.

I can recommend a couple spots close to Vanier Park.

Cacao is on Cypress and West 1st, a 10 minute walk, they have a nice upstairs bar area above the restaurant open till midnight.

You can also check out Anna Lena (one of the top rated restaurant in Vancouver right now) just down the street, again about 10 minute walk.

If you are staying in the Delta in Gastown area there are lots of cocktail bars close by.

A 10 minute walk from your hotel to Carrall street and there a so many options.

The Diamond, Tempranillo, Six Acres Salt Tasting Room

Thank you! We haven't traveled yet. June 20-22 are our Vancouver dates. I'll look those places up! I very much appreciate the input...

^All of those Gastown spots are further from Delta, and louder, than Mosquito... Cacao's bar I don't have experienced with so might work for quiet convos. There are literally dozens of bars & lounges close to your hotel - it's the quiet part of the local scene that's the challenge!

Coquille can be added to my very minimallist of quiet Gastown establishments - it's MUCH quieter than it used to be thanks to serious redesign since it's prior incarnation as Secret Location. It's gone from the loudest resto I ever experienced in Gastown to now possibly the quietest. If you like Seafood, you'll also enjoy the menu.

Martincath - since you mentioned seafood in this thread - don't know if you are aware or not but the Fish Shack on Granville is no more - they have changed their name to Compound and a more mixed menu.

Cheers!

Dennis

:):):)