Cooper's Island

Aroostookcruiser

I would love to hear thoughts on a visit to Cooper's Island, including the best way to get there. I had been planning to visit Tobacco Bay and Fort St Catherine's beach, but sounds like they have changed a lot in the twenty years since I last visited, so now looking for other options for our June visit. Traveling with NCL and docking at the Dockyard.

I plan to go on June 25. From a thread I posted, it sounds like you can cab over. Some mentioned there may be shuttle bus this year. If you go prior to the 25th, please come back and post. Have a good time!

As far as the beaches go....Tobacco Bay has “cleaned up” and has more to offer the cruising crowd....Ft Catherine’s beach is just the beach now, no concession stand, no chair/umbrella rental...that ended a few years ago. Last year we took advantage of the “Resort for a Day” deal. We went to Cocoa Reef for the day..$100 per person gave us a quiet and peaceful beach day, chaise lounges, umbrellas, the use of the resort pool, showers, changing n room and bathroom plus a wonderful lunch. If this sounds like something you might be interested in you can find out more on it and book it online...”Resorts for a Day” and click on Bermuda.

It does look like a cab is the best bet for getting there. I'll post if we make it over!

I just read that there will be a shuttle to Clearwater beach, and I think you can walk from there. It said shuttle roundtrip to Tobacco Bay $12, $15 for Clearwater. For Clearwater, you buy tickets at the visitor center or the ferry dock in St George. Please report back!

• 2 weeks later...
Any more information? I'm reading that the #6 bus will take you there but not ALL of them. How do you know which one?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

The bus will say via Clearwater Beach. You can take the other # 6 bus too. It will be about a half a mile walk to Clearwater Beach from the bus stop on that route. The buses don’t run that often, about once an hour. My advice is when you get to St. George’s see if they have any minibuses going there or to take a taxi. On the return you probably won’t want to rely on the bus, you will end up taking a taxi back to St. George’s.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone confirm there currently exists a shuttle to clearwater beach? 2-3 years ago they were advertising a new shuttle to clearwater ("the fun bus" perhaps it was called). We'd been planning to go to Tobacco, but decided to try something different and took that shuttle. We enjoyed Clearwater, but it was a mostly cloudy day, with on and off sprinkles, so we ended up not going further down to Cooper nature reserve. This year we'd like to head out and explore Cooper, and are looking for the easiest way to get there. A shuttle would be best. Alternatively, we've used the "gypsy cabs" for the quick ride over to Tobacco, but would most of them be willing to do the longer drive out to Clearwater/Cooper? Any current info much appreciated.

Can anyone confirm there currently exists a shuttle to clearwater beach? 2-3 years ago they were advertising a new shuttle to clearwater ("the fun bus" perhaps it was called). We'd been planning to go to Tobacco, but decided to try something different and took that shuttle. We enjoyed Clearwater, but it was a mostly cloudy day, with on and off sprinkles, so we ended up not going further down to Cooper nature reserve. This year we'd like to head out and explore Cooper, and are looking for the easiest way to get there. A shuttle would be best. Alternatively, we've used the "gypsy cabs" for the quick ride over to Tobacco, but would most of them be willing to do the longer drive out to Clearwater/Cooper? Any current info much appreciated.

We were there in June and no shuttle to Clearwater. The tourist center said the best way is by cab. We didn't make it because they had a big festival going on for locals on the day we wanted to go (Bermuda Day I think), and all advised against going because of parades and road barriers, etc. We ended up at Tobacco Bay after ferrying to St. George, and took a cab that said he would be willing to take us to Clearwater any other day! I can't remember the price we were quoted, but it was reasonable.

Thinking about going to Copper's or Gates on the last day we are in port on next Fri. The NCL ferry leaves at 1:15. Do you think the transportation to get back to the ferry is reliable enough to do if we need to be back on by 2:30? I don't know if I want to rely on a cab that may or may not show up. Should I play it safe and just stay close to the town areas and not the beaches?

Thinking about going to Copper's or Gates on the last day we are in port on next Fri. The NCL ferry leaves at 1:15. Do you think the transportation to get back to the ferry is reliable enough to do if we need to be back on by 2:30? I don't know if I want to rely on a cab that may or may not show up. Should I play it safe and just stay close to the town areas and not the beaches?

As I replied to you in the other thread going to either of those the final day is not the best idea. Particularly if you have never been to Bermuda. You will be on the other end of the island and neither is near the ferry. Taking the NCL ferry and staying in the compact St. George’s Town area which is where the ferry is located would be safe if you keep track of time. Transportation from Coopers or Gates Bay is not reliable. You could walk back from Gates Bay if there is no taxi, and there probably won’t be any, about a 25 minute walk. Consider though that next Friday is likely to be a hot and humid day. What I always do the last day is go to Horseshoe Bay, transportation from there is pretty reliable, but there are also excursions that leave from the Dockyard and return there that would be safe to do.

Edited by Charles4515

We did not dare do this on the last day, but it seemed that the taxis were reliable if you planned with them ahead of time to be picked up at a certain time. I'm sure it would be fine, but I don't like to take those kind of risks!!