first trip to Bermuda

knc61

My Dad was stationed in Bermuda during the beginning of WW2,and I have always wanted to go. Going this fall , Now my question is where is the most important places to visit that will tell me about the time he was there. . I know that he was stationed at fort bell Can I see any artifacts of the fort. and is there any where I can do research about his time there.

I know there is a Museum there that might give me information. Can any one give me information I would appreciate it .

The museum is located right in the dockyard and includes admission to wander the fort behind it. Also the tour guides on the island tours are very knowledgeable and if you tell them your interest when joining tour I am sure they will point out tidbits during ride

My Dad was stationed in Bermuda during the beginning of WW2,and I have always wanted to go. Going this fall , Now my question is where is the most important places to visit that will tell me about the time he was there. . I know that he was stationed at fort bell Can I see any artifacts of the fort. and is there any where I can do research about his time there.

I know there is a Museum there that might give me information. Can any one give me information I would appreciate it .

I would suggest that you call the Bermuda Tourism office .

Fort Bell was located on St. David’s Island. Became an Air Force field. Now the location is Bermuda's airport. Clearwater Beach on St. David’s, man made, now a public beach was built for US military personnel.

Edited by Charles4515

I found this on the Bermudian website Bermuda Online.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/milquit.htm

" 2002. March 2002. Bermuda's legislators enacted the United States Bases (Termination of Agreement) Act 2002.It formally terminated the US leases. The US Government has made a one-off payment of US$ 11 million to replace Longbird Bridge which was included in the lease, but declined to pay financial compensation for what the Bermuda Government claimed was environmental damage including heavy metals, asbestos, 500,000 gallons of jet fuel and raw sewage in Bassett's Cave at the old US Naval Annex.

Since then: Virtually nothing is left of the USA military occupation now at what used to be Fort Bell of the US Army, then USAAF, then Kindley Air Force Base of the USAF from 1948 to 1970 and a US Naval Air Station from 1970 to 1995. Photos in this website include the facilities there on May 1, 1995. All have since been removed for civilian re-development, not unexpectedly given that over 3,200 people per square mile live in the mere 21 miles of total land area in Bermuda."

Edited by Charles4515