Recommended or Not Recommended Excursions for Western Mediterranean cruise?

poss, I understand that I'm not speaking for everyone - just some. I have friends that have cruised the world multiple times and still enjoy taking excursions. We are a bit different. During the 18 years (approximately) that we traveled many parts of the world (not cruising) we visited so many museums, cathedrals, churches, temples, mosques and ruins that it just does not excite us anymore. The last place that really blew us away was Cappadocia, Turkey. It would take a lot for something to exceed the magic of that place.

We very much enjoy cruising - even to the same places that we have visited previously. However, rather than getting on a bus going to sites with loads of other people, we enjoy walking around the town - checking out their markets - having a taste of local food here and there and just enjoying the local life.

Traveled only 18 years and are now bored with all the interesting and wondrous things in the world??

No, you don't speak for me either. Or most people I know who've been traveling decades longer than that. You do phrase your words in a very absolute way, not allowing for the possibility that others might not share your views.

Traveled only 18 years and are now bored with all the interesting and wondrous things in the world??

No, you don't speak for me either. Or most people I know who've been traveling decades longer than that. You do phrase your words in a very absolute way, not allowing for the possibility that others might not share your views.

Traveled on our own 18 years and by cruise ship 14 years. I still find many things of beauty in the world but prefer not to see them with busloads of other people. But, truthfully, we are more into the local experience.

tinkermom1: I do understand your point of view. Just wanted to mention that one of our favorite excursions ever (to Tucany and Florence) was with 2 other couple on a private tour. The cost of this full day excursion (did not include lunch but we stopped for lunch in an amazing place) was $60/person which is less expensive than most Regent Choice excursions. We were able to go to tiny little places that could not accommodate large groups. Our favorite stop was in Chianti where we went to a butcher shop (I know - sounds weird). Dario the butcher (who is easily found by Googling him - he is quite famous) provides wine and various cold cuts in his shop. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

In any case, enjoy your cruise and whichever excursions you select.

I have to say, as much as I love a nice Ritz to stay in on occasion (so we like luxury), I will never rule out Lonely Planet or Rick Steve's travel guides. I like my travel to have lots of variation's in it. Great travel or stories aren't always luxury, in fact a very bad airb&N like adventure years in Monterosso, still makes the three of laugh more than most of the places we have ever stayed.

Actually, Travelcat, you should really pick up a Rick Steves book, because he doesn't focus all that much on the church, museum, etc and when he does he includes a great pod cast that you can download, that is free, shorter and sometimes funnier than what the venue provides. . He does however spend lots of time describing a great walking tour in the town and guides. His simple pictures which aren't to scale are also very useful. I do agree you may be eating with lots of Americans in some of the restaurants that are recommended.

I have to say, as much as I love a nice Ritz to stay in on occasion (so we like luxury), I will never rule out Lonely Planet or Rick Steve's travel guides. I like my travel to have lots of variation's in it. Great travel or stories aren't always luxury, in fact a very bad airb&N like adventure years in Monterosso, still makes the three of laugh more than most of the places we have ever stayed.

Actually, Travelcat, you should really pick up a Rick Steves book, because he doesn't focus all that much on the church, museum, etc and when he does he includes a great pod cast that you can download, that is free, shorter and sometimes funnier than what the venue provides. . He does however spend lots of time describing a great walking tour in the town and guides. His simple pictures which aren't to scale are also very useful. I do agree you may be eating with lots of Americans in some of the restaurants that are recommended.

Thanks for the tip. My sister has a few of his books and will borrow one from her (she my opposite - loves camping and travels internationally with only a carry-on while I have at least 100 pounds of luggage;p